• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A gun law to like

Pilgrim is right!

- MA decided to issue free renewals for life to either (or both, can't recall) car registrations and/or drivers licenses. All that I recall for certain is that NONE of ours came due between the passing of this law/reg and the rescinding of it. We never got even "one free lunch" out of this deal.

- MA issued FIDs for "life", then rescinded everyone's "life" . . . $100 for 4 years and made them worthless (no possession of handguns like old FIDs or hi-cap anything). GOAL made it slightly more palatable by making the FID-D for mace/OC only only $25 and free renewals (for now, until they change that back), and FID-C (low-cap long arms and mace/OC) went to 6 years for that same $100!

MY New York permit cost me about $100 bucks when all was said and done. As of right now it is a lifetime permit. But there are some in Albany trying to change that.

LenS said:
Pilgrim is right!

- MA decided to issue free renewals for life to either (or both, can't recall) car registrations and/or drivers licenses. All that I recall for certain is that NONE of ours came due between the passing of this law/reg and the rescinding of it. We never got even "one free lunch" out of this deal.

I forgot about that ! But ur rite. I never got a free renewal either even though it said on the reg that the next one would be free.

LenS said:
Pilgrim is right!

I think you're both wrong. Since the state used to have a $100.00 fee for four years, and changed it, they probably knew they were going to lose money. However, most states aren't like MA. Which is probably a good thing.

The reason that permit fees went up in MA is not to discourage licensing, although it might have that effect. When Romney was running for Governor, he pledged NOT to raise taxes. He didn't pledge NOT to raise fees. The difference is, at least I guess, that you receive something directly for fees, but not for taxes. Whether it be a driver's license, LTC, plumber's license, or anything else. All executive offices received orderst to increase fees to become more self sufficient. So, for instance, a LTC went from $25.00 to $100.00, although the term increased by two years. My paramedic ticket costs $150.00 per two year cerfication. That's up from $20.00 with one intermediate step at $75.00 just before Romney issued his edict.

However, I digress.

Gary

03roushs1 said:
MY New York permit cost me about $100 bucks when all was said and done. As of right now it is a lifetime permit. But there are some in Albany trying to change that.
NY permits are indeed lifetime in most of the state, however, NYC and some of the counties surrounding NYC are issued for specific terms.

Unfortunately, the judge who used to issue NY permits ot non-residents put a 5 year expiration. And no, I don't know of any judges doing that now but the NYPD seems to have a policy of bringing the licensing unit to the concert hall if a rock star is in town and needs a carry permit.

Gary,

The FID's and auto registrations were FREE !

The FID was marked that it would never expire. It's not only that a fee was charged but it was also changed so you must renew for a fee, and the crappy thing is that no one was notified officially. Some people are still walking around with 'lifetime' FIDS and don't know that they are comitting a crime by having a gun.

Yeah, raise fees if you must, but the lifetime stuff will turn out to be just a big lie.

Garys said:
So, for instance, a LTC went from $25.00 to $100.00, although the term increased by two years. Gary

You have the timing sequence wrong.

LTC used to be $10/5 years. It went to $25 and I think it was still 5 years. I'm not certain if it then changed to 4 years or if it did so at the same time the "fee" was raised to $100. But we were paying $100 for 4 year LTC (or FID).

GOAL filed a bill to change the term to 6 years from 4 years and that passed in 2005 IIRC. Thus we are now at $100/6 years.

LenS said:
You have the timing sequence wrong.

LTC used to be $10/5 years. It went to $25 and I think it was still 5 years. I'm not certain if it then changed to 4 years or if it did so at the same time the "fee" was raised to $100. But we were paying $100 for 4 year LTC (or FID).

GOAL filed a bill to change the term to 6 years from 4 years and that passed in 2005 IIRC. Thus we are now at $100/6 years.

On a positive note... at least they're wallet sized now. [thinking]

Rob Boudrie said:
NY permits are indeed lifetime in most of the state, however, NYC and some of the counties surrounding NYC are issued for specific terms.

Unfortunately, the judge who used to issue NY permits ot non-residents put a 5 year expiration. And no, I don't know of any judges doing that now but the NYPD seems to have a policy of bringing the licensing unit to the concert hall if a rock star is in town and needs a carry permit.

I forgot to mention that not all counties in NY have lifetime permits. I happen to live in upstate where they are lifetime. It bothers me too that the well connected seem to have all the rights. Did you know that Sen Schumer has a unrestricted, NYC valid Carry permit. I guess that is okay, but for us regular NYer's that would just be crazy. Elitist a**h***.

Indiana already had permits that expire (4 yrs IIRC). The law gives the applicant the option of applying for the limited time permit at the same lower cost or the new lifetime permit at a higher cost.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom