• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A helping hand regarding a Ruger and a mag.

Good morning NES'ers. I have a Ruger Mark III with a magazine inserted incorrectly (no need to go into details on how it occurred). I have watched vids, and searched but I have been unable to remove it. Any suggestions, on where to get this issue fixed, short of sending it to Ruger? I'm located on south shore area, but willing to drive to get it reconciled.
Thank you for any info!

I have put a mag in one of those rugers in backwards before, so I know it will go in. Luckily I noticed and it didn't get stuck, but I can see how that could happen. As greencobra already asked, most important is the mag loaded? If not you can try and force it out, it's probably just wedged in there.

The magazine is not loaded. I would call it seated at 95%. I have tried every possible option at my disposal. I took it to FS and they wouldn't touch it. It was a bonehead move, now I just would like to get it back in working order.

please, whatever you do, make sure there is no round in the chamber. can you unlatch it and separate the barrel from the lower receiver?

If you are certain not loaded and nothing in the chamber. I would look at trying to grease it and work it out. Can you grab any part of it with needle nose pliers? Can you open the action and push down on it at all with something?

saw this on the ruger forum regarding backwards inserted mags...I dunno, just brainstorming

"There has been a large number of folks having this happen recently with Mark III pistols. What the mag is catching on is the Mark III Series magazine safety disconnector lever. The lever is located on the left hand side of the frame and catches in the upper window of a Mark III magazine (when it is inserted backwards). Pulling the magazine downwards just sets the hook deeper into the window opening and binds on it. You can use any small long shafted tool to slide up in behind the mag and push up on the lever. It has to be a size that fits in the gap behind the backward mag and the magazine well. You will also have to push upwards on the base of the magazine to release it. Then you remove both the tool and mag at the same time to prevent the safety hook from re-engaging the window on the way out.

You cannot take the receiver off the frame, in most cases, when this happens because the hammer is cocked. I have heard, or seen, 10-15 of these in just the past year.

R,
Bullseye"

Thank you both! The firearm was and is completely unloaded. I will give it a few more tries. At this point, I'm not even concerned with salvaging the mag.

"There has been a large number of folks having this happen recently with Mark III pistols. What the mag is catching on is the Mark III Series magazine safety disconnector lever. The lever is located on the left hand side of the frame and catches in the upper window of a Mark III magazine (when it is inserted backwards). ..."
If OP's bolt can be fully retracted, then the mag safety lever can be reached far more easily from the ejection port than by worming a stiff probe all of the way up the mag well (or inside the mag).

Take the grips off, on the right hand side find a Allen wrench that will fit up into recirver through groove on mag that should dislodge the safety hook that’s stuck. I’m in Hanover days if you want to swing by my work at lunch time

If the action is not frozen you should try to remove the upper and see what's what.

View attachment 250717

Obviously this woman's head isn't in the game. She was probably asleep during the training class.

What does she need printing on the mag that says this end up?? She also forgot to remove the dust cover off the top of the mag.

The comments are regarding the picture, nothing to do with OP's problem.

Last edited:
Obviously this woman's head isn't in the game. She was probably asleep during the training class.

What does she need printing on the mag that says this end up?? She also forgot to remove the dust cover off the top of the mag.

The comments are regarding the picture, nothing to do with OP's problem.

It's not backwards/upside down it is two clips together jungle style

By Jove, you're right.
In the third generation, only the 22/45 has a monolithic frame.

Not the first time on NES I've ascribed 22/45 features to vanilla Mk III's; sigh.
Its ok , fun stuff.... Like i said i thought only the 22/45 came like that. I dont even know what the Mki,ii offered?
My mkIII has been to the range 5 times since the mkIII hunter model came out. My wife used it 3 of 5 and slammed the mag home backwards ....hhmm a few times.

Its ok , fun stuff.... Like i said i thought only the 22/45 came like that. I dont even know what the Mki,ii offered?

The bad news is that I had to go to the Intarweb Wayback Machine to see Ruger's photos of the
Mk III-generation models. They tossed a lot of content down the memory hole instead of
responsibly archiving it once the Mk IV came out.

The good news is that the stuff is at least surfable that way.

(Maybe there's a Ruger shrine somewhere that has captured all of the legacy data;
it's more likely for the Standard pistol product line than some other models).

My mkIII has been to the range 5 times since the mkIII hunter model came out. My wife used it 3 of 5 and slammed the mag home backwards ....hhmm a few times.

I've occasionally started a mag in to our Mk III 22/45 the wrong way,
but it's always been very obvious to me that something was wrong
and I never tried to slam it home.

I've just checked a few things on our plastic-framed Mk III 22/45:

I can see how a reversed-magazine's trigger re-seating window
comes very near the action's mag safety finger,
but a reversed 22/45 magazine's baseplate hits the bottom of the frame
before the finger can fall into the window,
so our model shouldn't be susceptible to lock-up.

(You could probably hammer a magazine in to lock-up,
but only by either putting a divot in the mag well,
or breaking off part of the magazine base plate).

It should be possible to to remove a 22/45 magazine's baseplate
even when seated (frontwise) or locked (backwards) in the magwell.

I don't know if a vanilla Mk III's magazine's baseplate can be removed
non-destructively. But at worst, chewing the baseplate out with vice grips is cheaper
than paying a gunsmith to do it. (And replacement baseplates are available
if the follower, spring and plunger are undamaged).

There's not a lot of room between the mag and the mag well in our
plastic-framed 22/45. One might be able to run a piece of coat-hanger wire
into the gap, but not most tools that come to mind.

But I think it'd be more effective to push the magazine safety finger out of the way
from inside the magazine than from between the magazine and magwell.

The very first flat-bladed screwdriver I pulled out of the kitchen tool drawer
looks like it's long enough and would fit inside an open-bottomed magazine.

The trick would be to run the tool end along the RH-aft corner (which is actually rounded)
of the magazine (looking as jammed in the gun),
and push RH-aft on the finger which is probably about 4 1/8"-4 1/4"
up from the lower end of the magazine sheet metal. A screwdriver is probably a better
tool than something flexible like a length of coat hanger wire, because the goal is to push
the finger out of the magazine - not to push it up - it won't go up, because that direction
is what's locking the magazine in the frame. So the screwdriver handle is good
for leverage, and the screwdriver's stiff shaft is a bonus.

Finding the (re-)seating window on a non-jammed magazine is crucial to understanding
what the finger is caught on up inside the gun. The window is on the front-LH "corner"
of a non-reversed magazine; the little ports which expose a view of coil springs here:
ruger-mark-3-mark-4-magazine-2-pack-90645.jpg

Note that if the magazine safety finger is protruding far enough into the magazine,
it may not be able to shake out the topmost 1-2 rounds of ammo (or the follower,
if the jammed magazine was empty). However, as long as you're oriented,
you'll be flailing around on the bullet end of the cartridge - not the primer rim.

i would remove the baseplate and try to pull out the spring and follower. if all those parts come out then all that's left inside the gun is the magazine body. at this point try to wedge a punch or something in between frame and mag body, then pull it down and out. it will come out.

Good morning NES'ers. I have a Ruger Mark III with a magazine inserted incorrectly (no need to go into details on how it occurred). I have watched vids, and searched but I have been unable to remove it. Any suggestions, on where to get this issue fixed, short of sending it to Ruger? I'm located on south shore area, but willing to drive to get it reconciled.
Thank you for any info!

I mean what solution are you looking for here? Ruger made a trap door in that model for when a dumbass puts a mag in backwards?

You obviously just need to rip it out. Plyers, mallets etc might be needed.

i would remove the baseplate and try to pull out the spring and follower. if all those parts come out then all that's left inside the gun is the magazine body. at this point try to wedge a punch or something in between frame and mag body, then pull it down and out. it will come out.

Yahbut the magazine body is stamped sheet metal,
as opposed to the frame, which is is stamped sheet metal.

If you pound a punch in between them,
which is going to bend first -
the stamped sheet metal,
or the stamped sheet metal?

On the other hand, since the lower edge of the magazine body
is normally parallel to the lower edge of the magwell,
when the magazine is inserted backwards,
one edge of the magazine will be protruding from the magwell.

Not that trying to pull the magazine out by force is the right approach,
when it's securely latched in by the magazine safety.

Just shoot the gun backwards.
4383856379_4f7c307eb5.jpg

Last edited:
if one removes the mag baseplate, internals and probably the grips of the pistol, that will give access to areas that will likely allow one to push the magazine body out.

I mean what solution are you looking for here? Ruger made a trap door in that model for when a dumbass puts a mag in backwards?

You obviously just need to rip it out. Plyers, mallets etc might be needed.

Ruger added a latch in that model to ensure that anyone who jams a magazine in backwards
has to go begging for help on the Intarwebs.

That way, they can separate the owners who find the hidden latch,
from the owners who believe they have to use pliers and a blowtorch.
(Ruger gets to sell replacement frames to the pliers-and-a-blowtorch types).

Yes MMArtist, I'm a dumbass, thank you. I have a firearm, that I would like back in serviceable working order, without rendering it tore up from hammers and such. I reached out to a group of like minded folks, who might have dealt with a similar scenario for relevant advice. Thank you to those that provided such advice.

Back
Top Bottom