• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little sumpin’ on the side…

Quite_Exasperated

NES Member
What is the primary reason you DON’T buy a gun from a manufacturer, or in a caliber, that is different from what you already own?

1) What you currently own meets all your use cases (hunting, target, defense)
b) Brand/caliber loyalty, familiarity, or ubiquity
3) That $1,000 gun purchase really means you’ll spend another $1k on mags, accessories, holsters, cases, optics, bipods, reloading equipment, etc.
4) other reasons?

I’d like to get a 6.5 CM but my gut tells me the spending won’t stop with the gun purchase. Pretty soon I’d have to buy all sorts of new gear, buy lotions, oils, and scented candles, get a silk robe to lay about the house, find a new barber, and invest in beard care products. I don’t know if I’m ready for that commitment. What says NES?

I need to pick 1, 2 & 3 because...

I'd like to own a Garand or M1A but just can't justify it. All the guns I own fill a need...hunting, self defense, etc...I really have no brand loyalty per se' but I seem to own mostly Colts, Rugers, Marlins & CZ's. If I bought a Garand or M1A, I'd need to buy more dies for reloading the rounds, brass, projectiles, powder.and other accessories that I don't own.

At this point in my life, I am pretty satisfied with what I own. If someone came up to me and was to give me a Garand or M1a (fat chance), I certainly wouldn't turn them down.

Last edited:
So i have over 100 firearms in 30ish different calibers. There is not anything i need.
Except a 7mm for long range bench shooting. Currently the 22-250 fills my long range need. I have 2 rifles in that. but i really want a heavier pill to toss out past 600 meters. So i am building a 280 AI on an old Savage 110 that currently is chambered for 270.
On the up side, i will be eliminating one caliber (270) and simply replacing it.

I’d like to get a 6.5 CM but my gut tells me the spending won’t stop with the gun purchase. Pretty soon I’d have to buy all sorts of new gear, buy lotions, oils, and scented candles, get a silk robe to lay about the house, find a new barber, and invest in beard care products. I don’t know if I’m ready for that commitment. What says NES?
I am dyeing over here. Epic.
[laugh]

#3. Ive bought stuff for whatever reason and was muttering to myself as I accumulated projectiles, brass, a holster, mags, etc. Always swear Im never doing it again but every once in a while Ill get the bug for something and I fall back into it. Not so bad as I dont really have many bad habits to spend money on, but it irks me.

What is the primary reason you DON’T buy a gun from a manufacturer, or in a caliber, that is different from what you already own?

1) What you currently own meets all your use cases (hunting, target, defense)
b) Brand/caliber loyalty, familiarity, or ubiquity
3) That $1,000 gun purchase really means you’ll spend another $1k on mags, accessories, holsters, cases, optics, bipods, reloading equipment, etc.
4) other reasons?

I don't really pay attention the manufacturer thing. If it's black and killy I probably built it myself anyway, including an AK from an 80% receiver.

I do try to avoid adopting too many different calibers for rifles though there's a good chance I will eventually add something in 6mm if I ever get into PRS.

I'm holding off on getting a 1911 until there's more room in my ammo safe for 45. My wife is getting a 380, so I've already had to make room in a primary safe for the mags that had to move to make room for a can with a different caliber.

So i have over 100 firearms in 30ish different calibers. There is not anything i need.
Except a 7mm for long range bench shooting. Currently the 22-250 fills my long range need. I have 2 rifles in that. but i really want a heavier pill to toss out past 600 meters. So i am building a 280 AI on an old Savage 110 that currently is chambered for 270.
On the up side, i will be eliminating one caliber (270) and simply replacing it.
I’ll take your useless 270 ammo once you don’t need it!

sumpin' i like to keep on the side...

model-5277622__340.jpg

I've been trying not to add any new calibers.
I have this .40 Sig P226 my dad gave me. He became a fudd and gave up all his guns... Except the hunting stuff.. I like the SRT trigger.. but its .40 and snappy. it lives as a spare gun in my front room safe. Used to be the bed side gun before my Sig P365. Everything else is 9 mm or .38 Special.

I have this .40 Sig P226 my dad gave me. He became a fudd and gave up all his guns... Except the hunting stuff.. I like the SRT trigger.. but its .40 and snappy. it lives as a spare gun in my front room safe. Used to be the bed side gun before my Sig P365. Everything else is 9 mm or .38 Special.

You could easily convert to 9mm or 357 sig

I'm trying to stay built around the big 5, .22 9mm 5.56 .308 and 12 gauge. These are the guns I shoot often. Have some other guns in odd calibers I don't play with much. Really want to do a 300 blk pistol with a can. Gonna need a lot of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom