• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

a little warthog info

ok heres the deal. i'm looking into getting a compact 1911 style 45. i have fallen in love with the para ordnance wathog, but i've heard good and bad about the gun. everyone says the company is good, but i've heard the grip sucks and you get alot of limp wrist jams. i have big hands so i dont know how this would work out. anyone have one of the little babys who can share some info on them. my price range is about 750ish. thanks alot. i want to hear some first hand experiences on them. thanks

Have you actually heard good about the gun? Or are you just saying that to balance off the bad? I have not heard good. And I have heard a lot of bad. Don't buy it, period. I have witnessed my range buddy and what he has gone through to get the thing to feed reliably only to end up selling it for less than he bought it after dumping cash into it after the fact. Stay away. Buyer be warned.

I too love the look of the warthog and it would have been my first gun, however I read nothing but bad reviews (with the exeption of one good review in a magazine article) about it.

Its a nice looking little .45, but in the end I was too worried about the jamming/feed issues that I read so much about.

I have shot one a few times as my friend carries one daily. Each time at the range it jammed at least once on me. It's a fun little gun, but nothing I would consider carrying.

warthog

I too have large hands and find the Warthog to be too small for me. I have a p12 that I carried for several years. The only reason I switched to a different carry gun was because I couldn't get comfortable carrying cocked and locked. I recently began getting occasional failures to extract and just had David Santurri replace and tune the extractor. I asked David about Para Ordnance handguns and being a true professional he neither praised nor damned them. He simply stated that small .45 autos take alot more abuse than large ones. He also did 2 revolver action jobs and everything was done in less than a week. If you ever get out to the Harvard Sportsmens Club you're welcome to try out my p12. Gerry

A good friend on the pistol team has has one and loves it. He's got a few hundred rounds thru it w/o trouble. I've only shot about 40-50 thru it and it has never jambed on me.

I have had a lot of problems Jams, FTF, FTE Stovepiping live and empy rounds. I purchased a 13 rnd mag and put an extender on it thinking I was limpwristing but I still am jamming. I do not trust this firearm.

I do like the size and accuracy, of course I have also talked with people that have had no problems with it. I am thinking I have about 300 rounds through it and probably two dozen jams

I have a para-carry (single stack but same size as the warthog) and have never had a probleEm with it shooting ball ammo. I've even shot lead round nose out of it with very little trouble. And my 5'2" daughter loves shooting it too.

I have had a Para Warthog for almost 2 years . In that time ive shot around 1000 rds through it . No problems except one mag spring broke which i replaced with a wolf spring . I have very big hands and still have never had a limp wrist problem with it . My only complaint is the regal finish is not very durable and wears easily . Its my understanding most of the early problems with the warthog is the mag springs are weak , when mine broke i replaced both mag springs with wolf springs . I would recommend it .

I don't like Paras in general, but if someone told me "Here take this coupon for a free para" I can think of (nearly any other model they make) as being
better than the warthog is. At least the single stacks are mostly usable 1911s, even if some of them have junk parts in them.

-Mike

Hogue grips for Warthog

I have a para ord warthog and had the same problem. I ordered a hohue grip #23000, on line from their website, hogue grips.com. go to para ord model p10, it's the same gun, you'll find its fits your hand alot better.

I have a warthog and love it but I did have a couple of FTF and stovepiping problems but sent it back to the factory and have had no problems with it since. If you want to shoot mine just buy some ammo and I will meet you braintree rifle and gun club. I now use it as my main carry gun. Send me a email if you are interested in shooting it. [email protected]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom