A m44 for elk season

So a buddy from the army runs a 1,200 acre ranch out in eastern Oregon and every time elk season or mule deer season comes around I put in a for a out of state tag. So far been twice with great success and a big bull my first go. This year as a thank you for him allowing me to tag along, I shipped him a pristine with most importantly perfect bore 1947 m44. shoots great groups and I bought a m39 trigger and sear to replace the factory one as it was terrible. Well he decides to take it hunting (and it’s zeroed with the bayonet extended) after seeing it can group. So we bought a bunch of 203 grain soft point brown bear to hunt with. First day of the season we come across a good size bull he nails it at about 300 yards and this thing dumped at full speed not 50 yards away, antlers dug in the ground. My point in posting this I love milsurp rifles and they can catch a little hate but they are very capable. My buddy could of cared less about them but after getting one (and a good size bull) he’s all in collecting and next year I think I’m shipping a k31 or a if I can find a nice bore m48 Yugo for a decent price.

Attachments

• E9AD1E06-C929-4AC8-A484-13BCED803C70.jpeg
    E9AD1E06-C929-4AC8-A484-13BCED803C70.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 90
Was the shot taken with or without the bayonet extended? Is it true that it's more accurate / balanced extended?

Was the shot taken with or without the bayonet extended? Is it true that it's more accurate / balanced extended?
It's not "more accurate" with the bayonet extended. It just changes the point of impact.

Soviet mosins were zerod with bayonet extended as their tactics required the bayonet on the rifle (full length rifles like the 91-30l or extended (like the carbines).

On my 91-30 the poi shifts about 2 inches left at 50 yards without the bayonet attached. I don't actually see a poi shift with my m44 carbine though.

300 yard shot with iron sights on a M44 is quite impressive! Nice rack too.
Funny, my T53 hits a little low and left at 100 yards without the bayonet extended.

If that bull was shot at 300 yet dropped at 50, sounds like that bayonet might have come in handy!

Cool story to share. Reminds me I need to put the M39 trigger in my PU sniper.

If that bull was shot at 300 yet dropped at 50, sounds like that bayonet might have come in handy!

Cool story to share. Reminds me I need to put the M39 trigger in my PU sniper.
I meant It dropped about 50 yards from were it was shot. The trigger and sear swap did numbers for this rifle. You may have to do a little work on where it contacts the bolt, the trigger and sear did 80% of it and a polish on the bolt did the rest

Back
Top Bottom