• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A question ( a bit long winded)

So lets say hypothetically a man owned a 22 rifle. He passed away, and none of his children has an fid. So the gun was given to his grandson. His grandson never really thought about that old gun, put it in a cupboard and forgot about it for many years. The grandson dies and the rifle has been found in the place it was kept. The family wants to give that weapon away to someone, how can this be done legally?

So it has to go to an ffl and cant be done in the portal due to no seller? I know there will be no clear line of ownership ( in this situation)

I guess I was trying to make sure that the correct answer wasn't going to be you cant keep it and it has to be turned over to the state.
Thanks

Unless it was Willed to someone, the personal representative has to do this via an FFL if we're talking about MA (OP didn't mention state of decedent or person who wants the gun). In Free America, if both lived in the same free state it could merely be handed over, but MA is "special"!

Past records of a gun are totally irrelevant . . . whether inheritance or any other type of transfer!

If it gets transferred across state lines (decedent and person who wants it didn't live in the same state), Fed law (felony level) says it has to go thru an FFL!

Past records of a gun are totally irrelevant . . . whether inheritance or any other type of transfer!

If it gets transferred across state lines (decedent and person who wants it didn't live in the same state), Fed law (felony level) says it has to go thru an FFL!
You will never go wrong, listening to: Len-2A!

its all in state, and the past record statement was to say it wont show that so and so owned the gun before. Ill give a call to an ffl and have them tell me how to make it happen. I just didnt want the state to take it

the legal answer, someone can bring it to a FFL who will transfer it to a licensed person

In MA a FFL can not transfer a rifle to a non MA resident, so if it is going out of state let us know and we will give you the out of state transfer information

the non legal answer..... screw MA and let the gun walk out the door with someone

So there is no serial number on this rifle either. I think I read it was made before they were required. Will that matter? I ask cause I didnt talk to anyone about it in person yet and im wondering

So there is no serial number on this rifle either. I think I read it was made before they were required. Will that matter? I ask cause I didnt talk to anyone about it in person yet and im wondering
Lots of old .22lr rifles out there. Usually 'no serial number' is handwritten on the form.

Except in the case of inheritance, correct?

Inheriting A Firearm is different

If you are inheriting a firearm from a person in another state, the normal interstate transfer rules do not apply. The executor of the will can transfer the firearm to you without going through an FFL. This also applies to interstate inheritance. The only issue is that the receiver (you) must lawfully be able to possess a firearm in your state of residence. If you are ineligible to possess a firearm, the executor cannot transfer the firearm to you.

inheriting a firearm is a different situation, and requires a specific bequest in a will or codicil to a will IIRC IANAL this is not legal advice

No SN no problem, it is an old gun, pre 1968 . Until the CGA68 there was no requirement for a MANUFACTURER to serialize pistols or rifles

again gun. what gun?

the legal answer, someone can bring it to a FFL who will transfer it to a licensed person

In MA a FFL can not transfer a rifle to a non MA resident, so if it is going out of state let us know and we will give you the out of state transfer information

the non legal answer..... screw MA and let the gun walk out the door with someone

not legal advice but… this is what I’d tell you as well.

Except in the case of inheritance, correct?

Inheriting A Firearm is different

If you are inheriting a firearm from a person in another state, the normal interstate transfer rules do not apply. The executor of the will can transfer the firearm to you without going through an FFL. This also applies to interstate inheritance. The only issue is that the receiver (you) must lawfully be able to possess a firearm in your state of residence. If you are ineligible to possess a firearm, the executor cannot transfer the firearm to you.

Correct but that requires documentation specifying the person it is left to. Not the same as the situation stated in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom