• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

a story about a "cop"

appraiser

NES Member
I am 60 years old, I grew up in "another time", where things were a bit more civil, but not without problems (civil rights, Vietnam War, 1968, etc.)

I was raised in a town of about 25,000 north of Boston.
Mom stayed at home until 1972, Dad was an Electrician who was also a P.T. cop in our town. In his spare time he was going to college to get a teaching degree.... which is why he turned down a FT position on the local PD in the early 70's... but I digress.

I knew most of the cops, because in the days of walking routes you would actually see them on the streets, unlike today where you have no casual interaction because they are all in cruisers... and with 2 man cruisers ( we had a "north car" and a "south car" to supplement the 5 beat cops) sometimes Dad and his partner for the day would stop home for lunch on the weekend shifts, a 1967 Blue ford station wagon with a bubble gum machine on the roof parked in the driveway...

I got to know a few cops well enough that they cut me some slack in my teen years...

My Mom is in a "rehab" nursing home... Mom is pushing 90, Dad has been gone since 1992. All the old cops are gone... including the one who issued my my FID when I was 18, and an unrestricted LTC when I was 21.

It turns out the widow of one of the local cops is in the same facility. Her husband, who I will call "Officer Bill" was the beat cop in our section of town, walking what was known as R-3. Officer Bill, to a 6 year old, was the cop who was in front of the school every morning manning the crosswalk. He was the cop we all knew, and the reason half the kids wanted to be cops when they grew up.

Officer Bill was a great guy and a good cop.

The years go by, time does what it does, and Officer Bill retires, and in retirement he became legally blind with a couple of medical issues.... sometimes when the scanner stopped on 46.06 with a box alarm for medical aid at a certain address, 38.90 would kick in next with the desk officer saying medical response to XXX street, Officer Bill's house.... and that got guys moving

I always had a lot of respect for Officer Bill, I never got to tell him so later in life, and eventually it was too late to do so.

So today when the nurse said that my Mom, who has the same first name as Officer Bills last name, met Mrs. Officer Bill, and they exchanged war stories about husbands being cops, in a small town where The Barbarics MC had set up shop ( I have a funny cop story for another day on that subject) , I had to ask what room Mrs Officer Bill was in.

I knocked on the door and went in, introducing myself. I told her how many fond memories I had of Officer Bill, from my youth, well over 50 years ago.

She told me how they met in the Carolina's, when he was in the service, and she was visiting friends... she was from The Bronx.... and how after he got out of the service how he would take the train to NYC to visit with her, and how they eventually ended up in the town where Moby Dick is still rumored to be in a lagoon.

It was nice to finally express my gratitude to Officer Bill, not to him, but to his wife. She said she would tell her children

For those who are currently wearing a badge, or for those who may have at one point, hopefully you won't have to wait 55 years for someone to tell you thank you for all you did.

Very nice story, thank you.

I had one Sgt. thank me one evening. Don't remember what I did that evening, but I've never forgotten it. When they were interviewing for a new chief, the committee iced him since he didn't have a degree, he appealed and I spoke up at that meeting in his favor for consideration. I always used to chat with him at the town cemetery on Memorial Day after he (and I) were retired. He was a good cop and a true gentleman, sadly he has passed.

One time I was directing traffic off the I-495 off-ramp before the Marathon began and a MSP Captain pulls up and complimented how I had handled traffic. These are things that you never forget.

I recently had the opportunity to not only congratulate one of our newly minted Lts., but reminded him of how we first met (he is the Son of a former chief) and how respectful he was when he asked me to allow him to ride his motorcycle home (crossing a street we had blocked off for the parade) . . . he didn't try the typical "do you know who I am" or "I'm the Lt's Son" (said chief was a Lt when this happened) BS that is sadly typical of cop's children. He thanked me and it lit him up to hear that from a former cop.

It always pays to thank those in any profession that do a good job, leave a lasting positive impression, etc.

Years ago had a EDP call for a suicidal subject that I handled, ended up talking him down and getting him the help he needed and went on with my life, a couple of years later a person ran into me and started talking to me, (I had no clue who it was) until he told me that I saved his life years prior when he was in a "dark place" and that the kindness I showed, helped him and that he is all better, he was more than gracious and appreciative of my assistance and said that he was glad that someone cared at a time he was at the lowest point in life. I still remember that after all these years that passed and it did make me feel good about doing some good in all the negative we see on a day to day basis. I was taught by old timers, You can be a a**h*** when you need to be and also be kind, and human as well, which doesn't make you a soft cop, only a better cop.

It always pays to thank those in any profession that do a good job, leave a lasting positive impression, etc.

I thank every single public servant every other week. I send them about half of what I earned. And as a bonus, once a year a send an even larger thank you check around mid-April.

I thank every single public servant every other week. I send them about half of what I earned. And as a bonus, once a year a send an even larger thank you check around mid-April.
Congrats! that means you have a job! I am sure the welfare recipients and illegals appreciate your donation to the cause!

Back
Top Bottom