• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A ton of AR’s

There's plenty out there but they command big $$. I've been waiting to find one for a reasonable price just for the pleasure of having it shipped to my door.

There's at least 16,000 Colt SP1s that are currently C&R

Seen a few on Rock Island, they don't really go for any more than the other pre-ban ARs unless they are something special like a new in the box low serial number. Lots of other C&R stuff too that might surprise some.

This has been the case for several years already, I think they first started making SP1s in 1964 or 65.

I have a 71 or 72 SP1 and beyond the fact that it's a nice clean example there is nothing special about it.

Worth noting, a C&R needs to be in it's "original configuration", so you can't slap a modern upper on an old SP1 lower and inbound it as a C&R.

Besides, MA FFLs will already inbound pre-ban rifles.....so

Makes it more tempting to have a C&R. Only reason I have not is all the C&R eligible stuff I already have- seems like a way to get tripped up if I have a ton of C&R not in the book and only a couple in it.

sometimes you need to write this stuff down if you're from massachusetts...

> c&r eligible
> fed pre-ban
> mass. pre 1st ban
> Mass. pre healy ban

am i forgetting one or 2 pre-bans somewhere?

sometimes you need to write this stuff down if you're from massachusetts...

> c&r eligible
> fed pre-ban
> mass. pre 1st ban
> Mass. pre healy ban

am i forgetting one or 2 pre-bans somewhere?

> c&r eligible - Federal, so even the guys who can have shitty psa uppers shipped to their doors follow this one.
> fed pre-ban - 1994
> mass. pre 1st ban - 1994
> Mass. pre healy ban - Wut

Worth noting, a C&R needs to be in it's "original configuration", so you can't slap a modern upper on an old SP1 lower and inbound it as a C&R.

Actually you could have a modern rifle upper on it because that doesn't change its configuration as a rifle. But you couldn't for instance make it an SBR upper or change the stock to a telescoping/folding style if it came with a standard A2 style and have it be C&R eligible.

Its like with a Garand, you can put another Garand stock on it whether new/used/synthetic but you couldn't put some kind of tacticool stock and have it still C&R eligible. You could put a new Criterion barrel on it and still C&R.

Its original configuration, not original equipment.

I thought guns didn't automatically become C&R eligible if they are 50 years old.

Plenty of 50 year old guns you can't buy with a C&R.
It's the opposite, sort of.

By default, 50 years becomes C&R.

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age.

There is also a list which allows certain guns to be classified as C&R even it not 50 years old yet.

A good example is the Walther P1.

Walther, post World War II production Model P38- and P1-type semiautomatic pistols made for or issued to a military force, police agency, or other government agency or entity

Like JPM says some vendors won't recognize the C&R.

There are also some I've come across that think its ONLY the items in the list that are C&R and you have to explain to them the list is not comprehensive and point them to the actual law that its 50 or more years period.

Back
Top Bottom