A Visit to a Free State

Mustering up some courage...I skirted the guard towers, barbed wire and k9 patrols and made it thru the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts Iron Curtain to the Free State of New Hampshire yesterday and paid a visit to Riley's Gun Shop in Hooksett.

I could go on and on about seeing guns that are evil and banned in Massachusetts cheerfully purveyed by Riley's staff, but will spare you that, needless to say it was a joy to see Kimbers, and Colts, and Uberti Single Actions, and Kel-Tecs and a whole host of others, so near yet so far away.[sad]

What I was interested in was looking at the Ruger SR9. I knew that the SR9 had been recalled but was under the impression that it only applied to a serial number range. The sales associate with whom I spoke said the they had none in stock because of the recall and that the serial number range was in fact the total serial number production range to date. I know that Ruger will make it right to the people who have already purchased these firearms, and that any new guns leaving the factory will be right, still, I cannot help but reflect what a horrible situation this is for Ruger. Initally lauded by the gun press for simultaneously releasing about 3500 SR 9's at virtually the same time as the inital press release, they now have some egg on their face [rolleyes]. Apparently they were a good seller because the guy at Riley's said they had already sold about 50 of them.

I didn't see any of the new other new Rugers; the .380 or the new SP101 in the equally new .327 Magnum caliber (for which I have some interest) the Ruger website says that this version of the SP101 is not currently Mass compliant, anyway.

Well my hat is off to you who live in New Hampshire and elsewhere, where you can purchase a firearm of your choice, not one off of some list. Keep fighting the good fight and don't let the Tom Reilly's of this world (he's the Ma**h*** Attorney General who screwed us big time with his list) get you down.

Live Free or Die, New Hampshire [rockon] !!!!!!

Mark L.

About a week ago I was eyeballing a HK P2000SK they had there. $885 for it in .357sig and it came with a .40 s&w barrel and an extra mag. I was also considering a Sig 239, but they would have to order it. To be honest I think I can find better deals than that here in NH.

I moved here from just outside Boston almost 20 years ago. You couldn't pay me to move back to the Commonwealth of MA. Too bad I still work for a MA company.

I had the same type of experience last week when I went down to Cabela's in CT. Those dangerous guns just sitting there for anyone to buy (like a new Kel-Tec P11 for $269 [sad])

It's even worse for me at home. I'm 20 minutes from Vermont! Wouldn't even need a license!

Back
Top Bottom