AA - Ammoholics Anonymous

In theory, there is such a thing as "enough ammunition." .Many of us spend inordinate amount of time (and other resources) seeking finally to discover where the boundary of "enough" is. So far as I am aware, no one has yet succeeded.

In theory, there is such a thing as "enough ammunition." .Many of us spend inordinate amount of time (and other resources) seeking finally to discover where the boundary of "enough" is. So far as I am aware, no one has yet succeeded.
I read about a guy that said he had 500,000 rounds of 22lr. Even if you throw out hypotheticals like being 30 years old and living to age 75, that would be over 11,000 rounds per year for 40 years. I'd say he's pretty close to good.

Buddy and I were at the range and he was giving me shite for buying 1500 rounds of 9mm.

Well bud you just popped off about 300 so tell me again how 1500 is Too much.

I was doing so well....so well. They got me with the rebate. Who doesn't love a rebate? $2 a box, 20 boxes = $40, sounds great sign me up....

I read about a guy that said he had 500,000 rounds of 22lr. Even if you throw out hypotheticals like being 30 years old and living to age 75, that would be over 11,000 rounds per year for 40 years. I'd say he's pretty close to good.

But think of the Black Market potential when all ammo is banned...

I have been hoarding ammo from an early age. It is learned behavior. (80's PSA Parents who hoard ammo have kids who hoard ammo)
I would do odd jobs for neighbors in exchange for ammo. Clean Mrs. Smiths gutters? A brick of. 22. Rake and haul leaves for Mr. Pawlinski, 2 bricks.
I was maybe 14 and my neighbors were enabling my habit. Mrs Pawlinski did love me for bringing fresh rabbit for her stew. That'd earn me a box or two.
As an adult I'd scour the sales fliers for sales at Kmart and buy up the sales limit.
Then Al Gore invented the internet and my world changed. Talk about deals! In case quantity!! Delivered to my door!!!
I now keep a running mental note on how much I shoot and make sure I replace in excess what I shoot each month.
I recently moved to a new home and in the process my son wondered aloud how much ammo I actually have as I never counted it, some things are better not known. But we did get the bathroom scale and weighed each crate and totalled it up.
So now when I say I have a ton of ammo, I am not exaggerating.

This should do it. An instructor of a youth team I knew bought 22 rimfire by the pallet
Bulk Ammo, Large Bulk Ammo Pallets, Bulk Ammo Supplier

Ammo quantity and weight answers - AR15.COM

• Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition = 200 lbs of 22LR (600 w permit)
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition = 546 lbs of 308 (2734 w permit)
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition = 520 lbs of 00 (5200 w permit)
MA Max 1266 lbs or 8534 w permit

Last edited:
Stood in front of the safe tonight for about twenty minutes debating over what I was willing to shoot. I kept saying that I wish I never made plans to meet my friends at the range.
100 rds of 9mm and 50 rds of 45. I miss you

I think you forgot the most important rule that they taught me in my hunter safety class.

When you shoot up ammo, you're supposed to buy twice as much to replace it.

Shoot 50? Buy 100. Shoot 500. Buy 1000.

The pallet ammo actually isn,t such a good deal they are selling 10,000 rounds of 124 grain reloaded 9 with cci primers for the same price as target sports is selling new 124 grain AE if you bought 10 cases. Though I will say a pallet of ammo sounds cooler

John Farnam recommended 4000 rounds per gun owned, in case of "zombie apocalypse".

I am an ammoholic, but I am also a magazineholic. I have an excuse for the ammo. I ran out of ammo a couple of times years ago and have stock piled it since. I have no excuse for the magazines though . Just today I reached a total of 52, 30 round AR magazines and 15 , 20 round AR magazines and if it's a Colt , I'll probably buy more. The same goes for handgun magazines. Someone please stop me!

We need a different fellowship thread for magazines, they are first cousins, but you can attend "open Ammo Anonymous threads! :cool:

Step 1 - I admit that I am powerless over my addiction to ammo and that my life has become unmanageable

• Have you seriously damaged your relationships with other people because of your addiction to ammo?

• If other people have told you how you how your have hurt them, then write down what they said.

• Describe any missed appointments that resulted from your addiction to ammo.

• Describe any memory lapses where you cannot account for where you were before or after you bought ammo.

• Describe any times that you cannot recall how you got home after buying ammo.

• Describe any illnesses (other than lead poisoning) that have resulted from your addiction to ammo.

• If your addictive behavior contributed to excessive spending, describe...never mind.

• Describe times that you have withdrawn from social interaction and isolated yourself to an extreme degree of ammo sorting.

• Describe incidents where you expressed inappropriate anger towards other people who bought the last box of 7.62x54R.

• Describe embarrassing or humiliating incidents in your life related to your addiction to ammo.

• Do you feel any remorse from the ways that you have acted in your life? No. No, of course not...

• Describe any dreams that you have had that exhibit the unmanageability or chaos of your ammo cabinet.

This is FABULOUS!!

It was the rebate thing again. $50 this time. Small case, free shipping, cut the cost in HALF. Before you judge me, let me explain. These aren't like the other rounds I have, these are hunting rounds. I could feed my family, my neighbors, my community! I'm a sucker for a pre paid Visa. Merry Christmas my friends.

38 Special. 45 cents per round. Not the best price but these rounds have been as scarce as hens teeth. 900 round case. I keep going to the page and then I delete it. I don't know how long I can hold out. Cold sweats. I keep checking my current stock to make sure they haven't gone bad. I should probably pick up a case while they're still available. I think you know how this story ends.

remember it is only a problem if it makes your life unmanagable.

Everyone on NES seems to manage their ammo quite well, so what's the problem

(and yes I AM one of those friends of Dr Bob and Bill W.)

My brother just 'gave' me 1000 rounds of 5.56 and 1000 rounds of 5.45 he 'found' on his doorstep . 😉😀
Pretty cool.
I give my grand daughters husband 500 rnds of 5.56 a couple of times every year.
He doesn't shoot much but he's prepared if he needs to be.
Same for my step daughter.
I've given a friend 1000 rnds of .22 to entice him to buy a pistol.
As a Free stater I'll continue to spread the wealth.

Back
Top Bottom