• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Abandoned (?) Car on the Street

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Hopefully someone here might give me some advice.

Someone parked a car on my street, close to my driveway on the opposite side. My son had to manuever around it to get in our driveway at 3am when he came home from work. I called the local PD about it and an officer came out and just kind of looked at it. She said she could not do anything about it. I checked with the only other resident close by who could have had company who would park there and he said no.

It's an older Honda Accord, dirty, banged up quite a bit, Florida license plate, driver's window rolled down, all sorts of misc items and frankly trash inside, and it looks like the rear seat was partially torn out, AND there was a key in the rear trunk lock.

How long do I have to wait before I can ask/demand that the town remove it. Is there some sort of state law that limits how long a parked/abandoned car can just stay there?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Last edited:
happened to me years ago. The PO who came out said they didnt consider it abandoned unless there were either no plates on it, or ALL four tires were flat......( valve stem removers work well here) dont go poking holes in them you could get in trouble ;););)

I'm beginning to think that my only hope will be that the town institutes a parking ban for this next storm.

Depends on the town, here if it's been there for 24 hours and is not registered to a resident of the town, they start time tracking and if there for 3 days will tow. As long as it's not a private way or a state road, then they can't do anything.

Strange the cop didn't do anything. Blocking driveway egress is akin to blocking a hydrant, in that it is an immediate tow-able situation in most towns and cities. Considered a life safety issue. Maybe if you call again, stress that it is impeding egress.

A sibling of mine lived in Times Square for a bit. Her car got stolen soon after moving to there. Years later one winter, she gets a call that her car has been "recovered." It had been buried in a steet side snowbank, in Holyoke. And it still had her registration plates on it.

Update:

The owner (?) showed up and started working on the car. When he started it a LOT of white smoke came out of the exhaust. But it's gone now.

Thanks for all the input, glad it didn't devolve into a dead hooker thread..
Blown head gasket most likely...

Back
Top Bottom