Abandoned collection , owner pssed

Yes, but that is misleading. Obviously these do not have the Federal paper in line for the possessor; so the possessor better have a green card if he/she starts waving them around John Law.
Possessing a green card may protect you from state level intervention, but having one does not exempt you for the requirement to have the gun under your name, or the name of a trust for which you are a responsible party, in the NFA registry maintained by the ATF. The general procedure to do it legally would be to have a SOT dealer take possession until the guns are in the recipients name, or add the recipient as a responsible party of the NFA weapons are trust owned.

I have one NFA gun (SBR), and I have two friends on the trust so they can take temporary possession, or permanent possession if I am dead. Giving the stuff to my friends is the best way I have found to make sure no thief buys them cheap from my wife.

Possessing a green card may protect you from state level intervention, but having one does not exempt you for the requirement to have the gun under your name, or the name of a trust for which you are a responsible party, in the NFA registry maintained by the ATF. The general procedure to do it legally would be to have a SOT dealer take possession until the guns are in the recipients name, or add the recipient as a responsible party of the NFA weapons are trust owned.

I have one NFA gun (SBR), and I have two friends on the trust so they can take temporary possession, or permanent possession if I am dead. Giving the stuff to my friends is the best way I have found to make sure no thief buys them cheap from my wife.
This is our next step
Finding a SOT dealer, then figuring out if the potential items are even registered.
I will know more today IF he calls.
Right now everything is in limbo as he is dealing with the “trust” that bought the land
and sign over right to house and contents removed from property. What we dont know if thats enough legally ?
All firearms are currently stored in a secure storage facility that the Trust and He agreed on until a determination is made if they are just old rifles or NFA.

This is our next step
Finding a SOT dealer, then figuring out if the potential items are even registered.
Right now everything is in limbo as he is dealing with the “trust” that bought the land
and sign over right to house and contents removed from property. What we dont know if thats enough legally ?
All firearms are currently stored in a secure storage facility that the Trust and He agreed on until a determination is made if they are just old rifles or NFA.
If I was brought in (as 07/02) this is what I would do

1. quickly review that he has rights to all contents of the house per his agreement
  2. take possession of all firearms and log them in for gunsmithing from the salvager. The agreement is all are being taken to clean/lube before next step
  3. Review firearms and see if any are or could be NFA items
  4. Contact local ATF and supply all make/model/serial of possible/actual NFA items and also provide information on original owner so they can search both ways for registered guns
ATF is extremely helpful in situations like this (no sarcasm at all in that statement). Working to be compliant is what they want and they will support it. If any items are NFA and not properly registered, ATF will work with how to address.

My assumption here is everyone is on the up and up and wants to get to the best legal outcome.

Good luck

This is our next step

...I mean, not for nothing, but just posting pics here would probably go a long way toward determining a lot about these guns...

Salvagers business models generally do not anticipate valuables like jewelry, guns, mystery safes full of valuables, etc. If someone made a deal with a salvager including contents and did not either remove the guns before inventory, or have a firearms exclusion in the contract, a mistake was made.

If I was brought in (as 07/02) this is what I would do

1. quickly review that he has rights to all contents of the house per his agreement
  2. take possession of all firearms and log them in for gunsmithing from the salvager. The agreement is all are being taken to clean/lube before next step
  3. Review firearms and see if any are or could be NFA items
  4. Contact local ATF and supply all make/model/serial of possible/actual NFA items and also provide information on original owner so they can search both ways for registered guns
ATF is extremely helpful in situations like this (no sarcasm at all in that statement). Working to be compliant is what they want and they will support it. If any items are NFA and not properly registered, ATF will work with how to address.

My assumption here is everyone is on the up and up and wants to get to the best legal outcome.

Good luck
Thank you ,

Salvagers business models generally do not anticipate valuables like jewelry, guns, mystery safes full of valuables, etc. If someone made a deal with a salvager including contents and did not either remove the guns before inventory, or have a firearms exclusion in the contract, a mistake was made.
From what I understand from it all.
Owner has been gone a long time, family abandoned the property , property went to auction , house went up in smoke a few months ago. Old house 150 yrs old
Salvage guy wanted remaining old wood and foundation stones. While tearing house down came across goods.
Thats all I know as of now.

Personally I think its going to come to
Replicas on the items in question
Thats my gut feeling

Thank you all for playing

So yes the guy was a collector but not of machine guns or any NFA items

Lots of black powder , a few old rifles and the “machine guns” in reality are just pellet guns that “look” like machine guns.
B71036D2-EB3C-468A-BC56-EABB65169C75.jpegDDA0F2D5-4BDC-4A08-A4F6-08AD28B5EE99.jpeg

If it is one of those Thompson carnival BB guns where you shoot out the red star, it is worth a few hundred

Here is another item that had them say Hmmm. Remember this guy is not a “gun” guy.
Vigeron M2 display . Reciever is just a tube. Barrel is plugged and cocking piece is just bolted to tube.
Looks like this guy collected air rifles and optics.

C391F835-2164-4FD5-96C4-7C825B21906B.jpeg

If it is one of those Thompson carnival BB guns where you shoot out the red star, it is worth a few hundred
Yup , its in rough shape rusty . I hooked him up with a air rifle junky. I got some if the junk shit. Few older air rifles I have no interest in . Getting harder and more expensive to bring the old air rifles back to life

Back
Top Bottom