• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Abandoned Trap Range in Spencer?

I'm going back a few years here...probably 13 to be exact. I remember when I was attending Camp Marshall in Spencer when I was about 14 years old, and during one of our activities I remember walking past a rather old trap range. It could only be used for trap shooting; there was only a forward shooting lane. It was not used by the camp, since there was no program in place at the time (and there still isn't one) for shotgun.

This small range was located along a stream (probably a small tributary from Thompson Pond,) and there were many bolt placements set into the concrete slab of the shooting stand floor for the shooters to mount their launchers. I do not remember any form of access to this range except through the camp grounds...but perhaps there was an access road somewhere (perhaps stemming from McCormick Rd. or another street in the surrounding area.)

The range wasn't used often, but in my 4 years of attending the camp, I passed this range several times, and at least 50% of the time, one could see the shattered clays from previous shooter(s) on the side of the hill the shooting stand was facing...not to mention loads of expended shells in and around the stream!

I was just wondering if anyone on NES knows about this place, and if it is still able to be used. My initial guess would be no, but I figured I would try and see! It is a beautiful spot, very quiet and isolated. Do let me know if anyone is aware of this. Thanks for your input!

That's what I have heard about the shooting program at Marshall...which is too bad. When I went to Camp Marshall I was the best shot in both rifle and archery during my last year. It was where I really learned how to shoot using .22 single-shot bolt action rifles. I feel bad they took that away! But, after the person in charge of the shooting retired, they discontinued the program :(

Do you think they would allow some one to shoot on this trap range after all of these years?

Maybe it is time for some of the ol' 4H/Camp Marshall vets to do some pruning/cleanup, and set up a program over there again. Are you guys close enough to pull it off? Sure would make an interesting Spencer Fair this year to have a booth set up with targets etc.

Maybe it is time for some of the ol' 4H/Camp Marshall vets to do some pruning/cleanup, and set up a program over there again. Are you guys close enough to pull it off? Sure would make an interesting Spencer Fair this year to have a booth set up with targets etc.

I live in Paxton, and that could be a possibility. You up for it also?

I am not affiliated in the least with 4H, and don't know anything about trap, but I guess I could pitch in a hand to cut some trees and brush if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom