• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Absolute noob question(s) about GMRS

allen-1

NES Member
I have FRS "walkie-talkies" that I use with the grandchildren when they're roaming, and they work fine for that purpose.

I'm reading a little about GMRS now, and wondering if it has any usable application for me given the current Coronavirus situation or any other "disaster".

As far as I can see, it's essentially FRS, but with a better range and the ability to monitor weather stations.

Thoughts?

For starters you may want to review this thread. Most of it should still be good but updates from other NESers are always welcome.

For starters you may want to review this thread. Most of it should still be good but updates from other NESers are always welcome.

Thank you.

GMRS legally requires a license and last I looked that license was rather expensive. MURS on the other hand is free to use with no license and probably exceeds GMRS range. An excellent MURS radio is the BTECH MURS-V1 ($55 each) Amazon product ASIN B075VBP9YGView: https://smile.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1-Manufacturing-Personal-Business/dp/B075VBP9YG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=BTech+Murs&qid=1584108555&sr=8-3

I bought a pair 2 years ago so that my Wife (non Ham) and I could stay in touch at NearFest and Boxboro's ham convention. They worked great and the batteries lasted all day without recharging.

Note: the "privacy" features of FRS/GMRS/MURS don't actually do anything, think of it as "smart squelch" not any sort of actual privacy.

I have FRS "walkie-talkies" that I use with the grandchildren when they're roaming, and they work fine for that purpose.
I'm reading a little about GMRS now, and wondering if it has any usable application for me given the current Coronavirus situation or any other "disaster". As far as I can see, it's essentially FRS, but with a better range and the ability to monitor weather stations.
GMRS license is relatively inexpensive and the GMRS radios have access to FRS frequencies, so you can keep the old radios around for guests.

A big advantage of GMRS is that (some) radios can use repeaters, which can be a way to extend the useful range and work around terrain obstacles. Repeaters are not allowed on MURS or FRS frequencies.

GMRS legally requires a license and last I looked that license was rather expensive. MURS on the other hand is free to use with no license and probably exceeds GMRS range. An excellent MURS radio is the BTECH MURS-V1 ($55 each) Amazon product ASIN B075VBP9YGView: https://smile.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1-Manufacturing-Personal-Business/dp/B075VBP9YG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=BTech+Murs&qid=1584108555&sr=8-3

I bought a pair 2 years ago so that my Wife (non Ham) and I could stay in touch at NearFest and Boxboro's ham convention. They worked great and the batteries lasted all day without recharging.

I knew someone would come along with an update. MURS looks like a good short-range option.

GMRS is a good family option, even with the cost of the license. The license covers all of your family (spouse, kids, grandkids, etc.). The power allowed is also significantly higher than MURS, so coverage is generally better. There are also some very well situated repeaters on GMRS. I have one in Plymouth, Ma at a state site that has emergency power. It's power and height allows for seemless coverage from Taunton to Hyannis, at a minimum. You won't get that on MURS. Then again, if your comm needs are short distance, GMRS may be overkill.

Note: the "privacy" features of FRS/GMRS/MURS don't actually do anything, think of it as "smart squelch" not any sort of actual privacy.

GMRS license is relatively inexpensive and the GMRS radios have access to FRS frequencies, so you can keep the old radios around for guests.

A big advantage of GMRS is that (some) radios can use repeaters, which can be a way to extend the useful range and work around terrain obstacles. Repeaters are not allowed on MURS or FRS frequencies.
Has anyone here ever bought the GMRS license? Jack.

I appreciate the responses so far, they're helpful, but I'm still trying to understand how GMRS might apply to communications with people outside my immediate family - if it does???

I bought a pair of Motorola FRS/GMRS radios some years ago and they use rechargeable battery packs. They were bought with the intent of mapping out my circuit breakers between my Wife upstairs and myself in the basement. The charged batteries only lasted hours, not all day. The BTech MURS lasted us all day in the outdoor/indoor environment of the hamfest/convention. At Nearfest we could easily have been 1/2 mile away from each other in hilly or valley areas geographically.

Price up to $75 now

The only real reason to get a GMRS license is:

-You're setting up a GMRS repeater
-You're using someone elses GMRS repeater (with their permission)

otherwise its a waste of time, everyone else just rugsweeps if theyre doing simplex.

One cool thing about GMRS license though, if you get one I believe all your blood relatives can use your
callsign. So if you have a family they can keep in touch under the same call via GMRS.

ETA: Unlike amateur radio, business comms are also allowed on GMRS. So if you say, had a family towing company or
something, you could run that off GMRS.

-Mike

The only real reason to get a GMRS license is:

-You're setting up a GMRS repeater
-You're using someone elses GMRS repeater (with their permission)

otherwise its a waste of time, everyone else just rugsweeps if theyre doing simplex.

One cool thing about GMRS license though, if you get one I believe all your blood relatives can use your
callsign. So if you have a family they can keep in touch under the same call via GMRS.

ETA: Unlike amateur radio, business comms are also allowed on GMRS. So if you say, had a family towing company or
something, you could run that off GMRS.

-Mike

All true.

When I go on Amazon it says $104.99.

I was able to get the $55 price today by signing into my Amazon Business account. No clue why they offer business accounts the better price.

I'm reading a little about GMRS now, and wondering if it has any usable application for me given the current Coronavirus situation or any other "disaster".

As far as I can see, it's essentially FRS, but with a better range and the ability to monitor weather stations.

Thoughts?

The GMRS band of frequencies is in the 462 and 467 mhz range, NOAA WEATHER transmits on 7 frequencies in the 162mhz range so unless a dedicated GMRS radio has a specific section in the receiver for weather channels, that ability is not going to be there.

Read the specs on whichever radio you buy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom