• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accidental discharge consequences.........

So I am watching an episode of COPS [smile]...........yeah I watch cops and it got me thinking. If you live in MA and you accidentally discharge your firearm what would be the consequences? Could you cont on losing your LTC for ever????

Hasnt happened...........I was just wondering.

If a gun goes off and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?

Like Cassadilla said, if you do it in a public place, you are probably screwed. At home and a neighbor hears, maybe screwed. At home and nobody hears it but you, you are golden. Deaf, but golden.

All it takes is your "issuing authority" to view you as a irresponsible dipshit and yes you're done. Got to remember its all up to them. It all depends on the incident as well. Did your moonbat neighbor freak out and demand action? Are you LE or LE family member? See what I'm getting at?

Hasnt happened...........I was just wondering.

Oh it's happened alright. [wink]

Even if there were no injuries, or damage to property, or anything else besides just a round being negligently touched off, yes you could still lose your LTC due to suitability. There of course would have to be some type of report on it where the chief of your town finds out about it.

In before someone calls it "negligent" instead of "accident"

Hope you're neighbors think it was a firework or something hah

Must be fun patching the hole also if that happens [laugh]

Recently a story on Fox-25 local about a local Chief of Police having 2, yes...2, nd's. Same issue, same gun. Some kind of .380, due to tangle with clothing(FAILED reholstering technique x2). Yet, he still has his LTC. And this was in a gun store. I guess rules don't apply to those who make the rules.

All it takes is your "issuing authority" to view you as a irresponsible dipshit and yes you're done. Got to remember its all up to them. It all depends on the incident as well. Did your moonbat neighbor freak out and demand action? Are you LE or LE family member? See what I'm getting at?

They could charge the person with discharging a firearm within 500' of a dwelling.

Not a big deal fine or penalty wise, but as others have posted, the suitability thing is the "got'cha".

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12e

If you are a cop you are all set......cops ****ing never eat their own.....if you are one of the peasants your ****ed.

They could charge the person with discharging a firearm within 500' of a dwelling.

Not a big deal fine or penalty wise, but as others have posted, the suitability thing is the "got'cha".

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12e

500' doesn't count on your own property if you have a target and backstop - suitability would still be an issue

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm ... within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished ... The provisions of this section shall not apply to ... (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established;

In before someone calls it "negligent" instead of "accident"

Hope you're neighbors think it was a firework or something hah

Must be fun patching the hole also if that happens [laugh]

No such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm.

NEGLIGENCE is what causes said incident.

so...that being said...is there something we should ufcking know about?

No such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm.

NEGLIGENCE is what causes said incident.

so...that being said...is there something we should ufcking know about?

Yeah... That's why I said that. It is negligent. Guns don't go off by themselves

If your a cop and you shoot your wife while "cleaning your gun" and kill her it will immediately be determined you have no fault.

Otherwise you're screwed.

Also, most cities/towns within the 95 loop, if not the 495 loop, have local laws pertaining to the discharge of a firearm within city limits. If they found you, you would be arrested.

To me, the hard pill to swallow would be all the money I/we/you have invested in this "hobby, sport, right......whatever you want to call it" would all go down the drain in an instant!

Whelp, we know that a Framingham Police officer can shoot and kill an innocent man and return to work without even being disciplined- no harm/no foul. We know that a State Trooper can shoot a woman while hunting and walk away. What else do we need to know?

Recently a story on Fox-25 local about a local Chief of Police having 2, yes...2, nd's. Same issue, same gun. Some kind of .380, due to tangle with clothing(FAILED reholstering technique x2). Yet, he still has his LTC. And this was in a gun store. I guess rules don't apply to those who make the rules.

The police don't make the rules. On the other hand, I'd like to know how many LTCs this guy denied and whether he would pull the LTC of someone else for ND.

Say your neighbor hears the shot and calls the cops... "No idea what they're talking about officer, the noise certainly didn't come from here. Have a nice day."

Or am I missing something here? If you let one fly out of the house and into the neighbor's car, that's a different story - hard to play dumb with that one. But as long as it stays in your house, I don't see how LEOs would know unless you incriminate yourself.

Say your neighbor hears the shot and calls the cops... "No idea what they're talking about officer, the noise certainly didn't come from here. Have a nice day."

Or am I missing something here? If you let one fly out of the house and into the neighbor's car, that's a different story - hard to play dumb with that one. But as long as it stays in your house, I don't see how LEOs would know unless you incriminate yourself.
Unless you live in Worcester, and that "shot spotter" located your house

Back
Top Bottom