• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

accidental shooting death at Mansfield Fish and Game

Mansfield Police have declared it "self inflicted but not a suicide".

http://mansfield.wickedlocal.com/article/20140908/NEWS/140907037

Len, was it you that was telling us about how police departments were, at least at one time, predisposed to call suicides accidents whenever possible? For the family (both financially/insurance-wise and peace of mind wise)?

I have no insight into this situation in Mansfield, but the official story on these isn't always the truth.

If ones feels so inclined as to put a bullet through them, then perhaps do it in the privacy of one's home as opposed to screwing things up for a perfectly good gun club....i find it inconsiderate when people drag others into their suicide....and yes it does speak to the selfishness that is killing onesself.

Len, was it you that was telling us about how police departments were, at least at one time, predisposed to call suicides accidents whenever possible? For the family (both financially/insurance-wise and peace of mind wise)?

I have no insight into this situation in Mansfield, but the official story on these isn't always the truth.

Yes it was me. I had a lengthy chat with my late police chief about it once many years ago. From the police perspective, it serves no purpose to declare this sort of thing as suicide, perhaps nullifying an insurance pay-out to the already suffering next of kin and adding to their emotional anguish.

If ones feels so inclined as to put a bullet through them, then perhaps do it in the privacy of one's home as opposed to screwing things up for a perfectly good gun club....i find it inconsiderate when people drag others into their suicide....and yes it does speak to the selfishness that is killing onesself.

The problem with what happened here and at AFS is that some will call for more laws, shut-down of clubs/ranges, etc. and some politician like a Linsky will jump on that to create more pain and suffering for the many members of such clubs/ranges. So in the case of MF&G there is potential for 400 members to suffer for the acts of one. If it blows up statewide there is the potential for it to negatively impact tens or hundreds of thousands of people due to the acts of one. How is that not "selfish"?

TTBOMK:

- He wasn't a member of the club, I don't recognize the name and I've been a member for 7-8 years.
- If what she posts is correct, he could never be a member of any gun club in MA as he'd be DQ'd on getting a LTC [STRIKE=I was wrong]which is a requirement for membership . . . if you don't show it, you don't get a membership[/STRIKE]!
- Nobody realizes that gun clubs can't access medical records nor can they directly do a CORI on someone. The fact that someone has a LTC in their hand is more info than what a CORI would show anyway.
- It is likely that he came as a guest of a member and used that member's gun. What that member knew or didn't of his background is unknown.

If she has legal standing, it wouldn't surprise me if she or her sister sued the club, the gun mfr and the poor guy who brought her BIL to the club.

I was mistaken. Taking another look at MF&G by-laws, a LTC/FID is NOT required for membership. The application form asks if you have one but that's all.

Very unfortunate, that you think something that is so bad will never get better and choose to take your own life...

Recently a man, veteran, killed himself on the north shore.

He chose to do it with a firearm, and did so due to the fact that he would be dead within months due to non treatable cancer.

He went into his garage, called the police to tell them and said he did not want children to see him or find the gun, put a trash bag over his face and shot himself in the head.

I will say, that guy was considerate...and I imagine almost none of you heard this. Why? Because he didnt do it in front of people or in a place like a gun range.

Recently a man, veteran, killed himself on the north shore.

He chose to do it with a firearm, and did so due to the fact that he would be dead within months due to non treatable cancer.

He went into his garage, called the police to tell them and said he did not want children to see him or find the gun, put a trash bag over his face and shot himself in the head.

I will say, that guy was considerate...and I imagine almost none of you heard this. Why? Because he didnt do it in front of people or in a place like a gun range.

I know a similar situation happened last month on the cape, 72yo man, told he had 3 months to live, already feeling the effects of the cancer throughout his body. But this guy put a gun in his mouth in the bathroom, and had his 33yo mentally challenged live in daughter find him. Your guy did the right thing for his family.

This not a good thing. [sad2]

I would be a lot more inclined to believe the whole accidental thing if a different firearm was involved. If it had been say an AR or any other type of autoloader, I'd say OK. it's possible even though it would require breaking just about every firearms safety rule that there is. But a lever action 30-30? Are you freakin kidding me, how is that even possible? I mean, I know that it's possible, but come on, what are the chances?

i don't know, i've got three months to live? that's three months longer to be with my kids/wife/miracle cure to be developed....

pretty shitty to say "eff you, i'm out, oh... and you're not going to get any insurance...."

i don't know, i've got three months to live? that's three months longer to be with my kids/wife/miracle cure to be developed....

pretty shitty to say "eff you, i'm out, oh... and you're not going to get any insurance...."

That's assuming they have a wife and kids, or anything else that they deems is worth living for. Plenty of people don't have that.

Why do you seem so emotional about this?

I'd hardly consider myself emotional over it. I think you're reading too much into it. And I've never been suicidal if that's what you're really trying to ask. However, I had a perception like a lot of you guys several years ago. Before my ex sister in law tried to kill herself.......6 days after her brother (my ex-husband) left for Iraq. The same day I found out I was having a girl....and a week after I buried my only grandfather. So after the initial shock wore off and I was done being angry at what she did, I had a chat with her about it. And I changed my mind about people who commit suicide. I no longer feel the need to classify all people who kill themselves as selfish....because you never know what a person is going through when they take or try to take their own life.

Didn't read the whole thread but damn, the poor guy is dead. Imagine how much mental torment he went through to get to the ultimate result. Some folks are heartless, in time no one will remember where he did it. All I can say now is i hope he found some peace.

Hopefully. And of course except for the people who were supposedly there and witnessed it. And the people who cleaned it up.

My understanding is that there was only 1 person there, but I'm sure that he was traumatized as most normal people would be seeing the aftermath. Now reported to have been a 30-30 rifle, that certainly can leave quite a mess.

As for clean-up, it's all bio-hazard and I'm certain that it is illegal to clean-up unless you are properly licensed to do so. I'll hand it to those folks that do this for a living, but I'm sure that they have seen it all by now.

As for clean-up, it's all bio-hazard and I'm certain that it is illegal to clean-up unless you are properly licensed to do so. I'll hand it to those folks that do this for a living, but I'm sure that they have seen it all by now.

This. They don't just send in the janitorial staff and family members to clean up after a messy death. There are people that handle that and protocols that need to be followed. And those people have seen some sh*t that most of us could go the rest of our lives without seeing. Just another day on the job for them, I'm guessing.

BR&P gives a Notarized "provisional member" paper to those in process, but you don't get an access card until you show your LTC to one of 2 officers who handle club access cards.

MF&G requires that you show a LTC and NRA (now or GOAL) membership card to get your membership card.

Neither club has fishing on the property so if you can't shoot there is no reason to join.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch! You are right. The problem is that this can happen at any club at any time.

LenS,

There is a pond, called Mill Pond, (part of the Canoe river) just past the 100 yd range. You can access it there or from the road on Rt 106 on the left side of Rt 106 eastbound just over the Canoe River bridge.

Richard

Last edited:
Richard, and I was told today that a few members access it from behind the 100 yd range as well. Said pond AFAIK is NOT part of MF&G property however.

Regardless of whether it was intentional or accidental, judgement is not mine to pass.

My condolences to his family, the man he was with, and the members of the club.

I really don't want to know the details. I just feel bad for the person who got that knock on the door. I have had a couple of those. The details don't really matter. They never change the fact that someone you love has just died.

And I really hope the guy that was there is ok. That's the kind of shit that comes back to you in the middle of the night for years later.

Some information
Insurance does payout if you have held the policy for a minimum amount of time, usually two years.
Clean-up is not required to be performed by a biohazard service. The property owner can do it if they are up to it or can hire it out to biohazard guys ($$$).
Suicide happens and while it may be a temporary problem, it is the person's choice as long as they are a consenting adult. Those left behind have to deal with doubt and regret on top of grief but very few suicides are done to intentionally inflict this extra pain.

Insurance does payout if you have held the policy for a minimum amount of time, usually two years.
The two year time limit on life insurance also applies to contestability.

If you croak within two years, the insurance company can go on a scavenger hunt to see if you let material information off the application (cancer/heart attack history, etc.). After two years, the barrier to denying a claim based on applicant misrepresentation is MUCH higher.

Hopefully. And of course except for the people who were supposedly there and witnessed it. And the people who cleaned it up.
I've experienced this exact situation about 25 years ago. Trust me, the memory fades eventually. As I said before, I hope the guy finds peace now.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/feat...-died-at-mansfield-shooting-range-19217.shtml

MANSFIELD, Mass. (AP) -- Police have released the name of the man who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Mansfield shooting range. The victim was identified Tuesday as 65-year-old as Stephen Backstrom of Mansfield. Backstrom was shot Monday afternoon at the Mansfield Fish and Game Protective Association firearms range. The Sun Chronicle reports that he was a guest of a club member and was handling a .30-30 Marlin hunting rifle at the time. Police have said no foul play is suspected but are trying to determine whether the shooting was an accident or a suicide. Club officials say it was an accident.

Read More at: http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/feat...-died-at-mansfield-shooting-range-19217.shtml

club guest by himself? Never heard of that.

Regardless of whether it was intentional or accidental, judgement is not mine to pass.

My condolences to his family, the man he was with, and the members of the club.

I really don't want to know the details. I just feel bad for the person who got that knock on the door. I have had a couple of those. The details don't really matter. They never change the fact that someone you love has just died.

And I really hope the guy that was there is ok. That's the kind of shit that comes back to you in the middle of the night for years later.

this

Back
Top Bottom