• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

accidentally non compliant?

I have been curious about this issue for a while and figured now is as good a time as any to find the answer. What would happen if someone in MA were to buy an AR15 with non compliant "assault weapon" features from a MA gun shop? would they get in trouble? or would they have to surrender or modify it?

Go back to gun store and get money back. Then slap each other, one for selling a felony and the other for buying the felony.

wouldnt want to get caught with that. Id contact the shop immediately and work on a refund or have them make it legal.

Take the upper off first. Then talk it out with the store or get a smith to take out the evil feature(s). IANAL but if the offending features are on the upper which isn't mated with a lower you should have some breathing room... Good luck!

I haven't wanted to start a new thread, so I am going to kinda hi jack this one a little. What about people who want to compete or shoot in mass (say a NES shoot) with a rifle with all the"evil" features still intact, and a 20 round mags? If it is easier to point me to a thread I am fine with that. I am just looking at what I would need if I wanted to shoot at reading being an out of stater.

Does anyone really worry about this crap?[rolleyes]

But to answer your question, OP, there is nothing that can't be easily modified to make it MA compliant if you are really concerned about that. If the muzzle device is able to be removed, you just drill a small hole in the underside, dimple the barrel, drop a piece of coat hanger or similar wire in, and then lightly MIG, or TIG the surface to lock the device in place. If it has a bayo lug, you either cut it off with a dremel, or grind the sides flat so it can't lock a bayonet in place. Then if it has an adjustable stock, put it in the desired position, drill a hole appropriate to press fit a roll pin, tap the pin in, and you're done. No money (if you have simple tools), and everything can be done in probably a half hour.

Take the upper off first. Then talk it out with the store or get a smith to take out the evil feature(s). IANAL but if the offending features are on the upper which isn't mated with a lower you should have some breathing room... Good luck!

There's this thing called constructive possession.

If you survive the encounter with the extra killy rifle, turn yourself in to the authorities for your mandatory minimum. But make sure you get your free $50 Applebee's gift card from a gun buy back first.

Dont do anything illegal and nobody will ever know...

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I had the cops called on me one 4th of July, someone called in automatic gunfire and the police showed up at my house eventualy and "checked" my guns. (by checked they just made sure they werent stollen, most police dont actually know anything about guns other than they go "bang").

Long story short, I did nothing Illegal and the cops still showed up.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I had the cops called on me one 4th of July, someone called in automatic gunfire and the police showed up at my house eventualy and "checked" my guns. (by checked they just made sure they werent stollen, most police dont actually know anything about guns other than they go "bang").

Soooo, how much fun did you have w/ your MG?

Ignorance is not a valid legal defense.

That's not true.

Laws don't matter. Just tell them you were exercising your 1st amendment right to exercise your 2nd amendment right.

Seriously though, you would get in trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did you let them into your house to see your guns?

They didnt and I wouldnt. They showed up when I was standing in my driveway with my Saiga and an AR (I live in the middle of no where in the woods). The cop seemed cool so I just let him do his thing so I could get on with my day.

I'm hoping you asked them for their search warrant. And if it was a MG i'd show them my MA MG permit and tell them it was legally registered under the NFA and that they have no right to see the tax return the ATF sent me. At that point I would point to the large sand berm and tell them to go pound it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom