Accurate and Cheap .22 LR 22LR ?

When doing these comparisons I noticed something myself. When the type of bullet tube changed the group took 3-5 shots to come back to point of aim. I wasnt cleaning between ammo because I was dicking about but switching between eley esp (**** this shit btw, was jamming in my savage mkII and smelled like soap), and most anything else, going either way move the poi up and left for a few shots until it went right back to the crosshairs.

So true!

mac, the Eley Club didn't pattern that great for me. Must be similar to that guy's new lot.

After shooting the first target with the CCI SV, I took a shot with the Eley 50 on a Shoot-n-See target to determine the POI for it. It was about 3 inches high, maybe 2-1/2". The Shoot-n-See target bull is bigger, so I had to guess a little for the SR-1 6:00 hold. Still too high on the second target (middle one).

Whatever the reason, I'm certain the Eley was faster than the CCI. Hitting much higher at the same sight setting. Both types seemed to have a close fit the chamber.

That guy at your club shoot .5" groups with irons or a scope?

Scope big thing has a 1/16th target dot I get sea sick looking through it fixed 40x I think....in no wind he has printed several .5s with his set up. A,normal day for him with light wind is all over the X of the SR 1 he has one 5 shot group with tennex @ 21$ box for a .475

We are supposed to get together for a little fun shoot. Like a F class style. I'm glad he's got his head all wrapped around the ammo issue. I know that will play with his head.

When doing these comparisons I noticed something myself. When the type of bullet tube changed the group took 3-5 shots to come back to point of aim. I wasnt cleaning between ammo because I was dicking about but switching between eley esp (**** this shit btw, was jamming in my savage mkII and smelled like soap), and most anything else, going either way move the poi up and left for a few shots until it went right back to the crosshairs.

I'm see that with almost every gun or load. I figured shooting round robin might take a bit of that out of play.
I found one thing that really stands out is all my 22s shoot better with a round that has more lube. Less lead build up with ammo with tallow or beeswax alsom

By the way, barrel code on the 513T is LL47, not LL43. Guess that makes it a youngster from ~1964.

Next range trip I'll go back to 50 yds and have a clean and then 'seasoned' barrel with the Eley Target 50, assuming I can find more...

I'm see that with almost every gun or load. I figured shooting round robin might take a bit of that out of play.
I found one thing that really stands out is all my 22s shoot better with a round that has more lube. Less lead build up with ammo with tallow or beeswax alsom

What I found strange is that it didnt follow the rounds only the lube. Like switching between wolf and federal gold didnt take a shoot in period.

Accurate, Cheap, In Stock - Pick any 2 out of 3 [smile]

I have seen some accurate in stock and please the definition of cheap......for decent prices..... found some eley Tennex on sale for 189/500 down from 225/500

Also you can decide if this is cheap... 5000 rounds of RWS rifle match 1050$ shipped

Last edited:
Just in case anybody is interested, Natchez has CCI SV in stock for $4.50 per 50 (at least they did yesterday afternoon).

No idea if they deal with Mass or not. Delete post if it's a problem.

Just in case anybody is interested, Natchez has CCI SV in stock for $4.50 per 50 (at least they did yesterday afternoon).

No idea if they deal with Mass or not. Delete post if it's a problem.

We here in MA have been given the finger by vendors for non existing laws.....oh the joy.

Funny thing is 22lr seems to be going sold out faster than most others around here and on a few vendors on line I frequent.

I have a feeling the 22lr explosion of new models and new shooters have created a
Well I'm not going to get caught with out anything to shoot.

My friends always though my dad and I where crazy buying 22lr several cases at a time. I have never been with out 22lr to go shooting. To me that's the worst when you have guns and like to shoot there's no ammo....
I'm pretty stocked up on most ammo I shoot and can load for everything I do shoot other than 22.

Last edited:
My 22 is really my favorite gun to shoot. Its quiet, soft shooting, cheap, and accurate. I kind of do wish that someone would come along and design a rimless cartridge about the same size at the 22lr, so we can have something the same ballistically but have it load better in magazines. CF or RF I dont care. Maybe design it to use 223 sized bullets instead to give a larger range of off the shelf bullet weights to make it easier to be subsonic.

Details later but as usual short on time and as soon as I set up the thunder storm rolled through. Wind was a mess....so I'm happy this for now.
1943 Remington 513 with a not so nice bore.
100 yards sling and elbows on the table.
If I had time to call my shots everything far left would be from the wind.

Im going to throw out the far left and right as I was shooting in the wind and rain

Last edited:
CCI Sv have enough juice to cycle semi pistol like the rugers?

Sorry- just seeing this now. Yes, CCI SV works fine in Ruger pistols- at least the Mark series.

---

Was very close to Cabelas for work today so stopped by to continue the mission. Found a box of SK Match to try. Will compare against all the others plus Eley Edge (on the edge for considering 'cheap'), and Tenex. Damn that Tenex is expensive! Just bought a box as it's supposed to be one of the best. We'll see...

Sorry- just seeing this now. Yes, CCI SV works fine in Ruger pistols- at least the Mark series.

---

Was very close to Cabelas for work today so stopped by to continue the mission. Found a box of SK Match to try. Will compare against all the others plus Eley Edge (on the edge for considering 'cheap'), and Tenex. Damn that Tenex is expensive! Just bought a box as it's supposed to be one of the best. We'll see...

WhAt did they get you for the tenet....best I found was 21$ box shipped.

---

SK Match (or was it SK Rifle target) is pretty good from my experience. Heavy lube, a bit dirty, and greasy though. Am interested in your results...

Last edited:
WhAt did they get you for the tenet....best I found was 21$ box shipped.

I think the Tenex was ~$23 at Cabelas. Seems nuts to pay that for 22LR, but I can do it for the sake of science and entertainment- not necessarily in that order.

---

SK seems to have been made in Germany. RWS?

I think the Tenex was ~$23 at Cabelas. Seems nuts to pay that for 22LR, but I can do it for the sake of science and entertainment- not necessarily in that order.

---

SK seems to have been made in Germany. RWS?

I believe SK is made in the same plant in Germany as Wolf and Lapua ....maybe RWS?
I don't have a link but there is a SK official release that SK Standard Plus is Wolf Match...
I,think the plant is one of those places that contracts out their machines ? Wolf ammo is Russian company but I have seen several countries on the boxes.

Last edited:
Here's an update to the ongoing search for cheap, accurate 22LR. Updates / new additions in blue:

Finally made a dedicated range trip this AM to test the reasonably priced 'target' 22LR:

RWS Target Rifle (sub $10 because on sale)
Eley Club
Eley Target 50
Federal Auto Match
CCI SV
SK Target - cheap, ~$6
Eley Tenex (NOT cheap, but tried for a baseline)
Eley Edge - relatively cheap - IIRC ~$8

First, here are the 50 yard targets with the custom 10/22 and scope:

View attachment 171257

And next, 25 yard targets with the Remington 513T, iron sights:

View attachment 171258

Here are the new targets, combo of 25 yd 513T, irons; and 50 yd self-built Volquartzen 10/22:

5.jpg

I shot a few 50 yd targets with the Tenex in the 10/22 and was not particularly impressed. The 10/22 doesn't seem to 'like' the Tenex. It has that thick, soapy lube that others have mentioned. The Eley Edge performed well, but the SK performed best in the 10/22. Interesting that it was the next cheapest after the CCI SV. Both the SK and Edge were easily sub-MOA.

The Tenex performed much better in the 513T at 25 yards, but again the Edge had the edge (rimshot). My eyes were getting a little tired and I think the SK could have done better. In reality, all 5 shots were touching for all 3 these. The stringing was probably more me than the ammo or rifle.

From this latest round, the SK may have earned the 'best value' spot. It's better than CCI SV, though a little more pricey. The SK may be hard to find locally, however.

In the sub $10 category, I really like the Edge. The cases have some type of dark coating, as do the projectiles. The projectiles are not particularly greasy like the Tenex. Next time the club has a 22LR match, I'll shoot my old stock of RWS 50 at 50 yds scoped in the 10/22 (go figure) and the Eley Edge for 25 yard irons in the 513T.

------- ------- -------

The winner for both rifles is Eley Target 50. I 'called' a flyer and made 5 other shots for a .302" group with the Ruger at 50 yards. A .389" group via the 513T at 25 yards.

RWS 50 is an easy 2nd place. If I had not shot a slight flyer it may have been best in the 513T.

CCI SV and Eley Club tied for 3rd. For the money, it's CCI SV all the way. I agree with others that this is accurate stuff and a bit of a sleeper.

A distant last is the Federal Auto Match. This was a little hotter than the others and not close in accuracy. Probably will run great in a semi-auto pistol.

That's it for now.

I did work on the 513T trigger. Pull weight much better, but break has two modes- one with a little creep / prebreak, and the other that breaks all at once. I made adjustments and did not polishing- maybe that will correct the inconsistent break. Certainly much better than before.

Last edited:
Here's an update to the ongoing search for cheap, accurate 22LR. Updates / new additions in blue:

That's the problem with the 513 trigger. They where not design th be very light. I can get mine down to 1lb 4oz but had a odd feel to it. 3# seems to be the best. Consistent snap of the sear
Glad you found some ammo you like

Few guys down the club are using the lapua and RSW
I ment to take a picture of the guys bench 22 for you Mountain.
It's a Anschutz Left handed 64 Action with custom barrel and a barrel tuner up front.

Last edited:
I believe SK is made in the same plant in Germany as Wolf and Lapua ....maybe RWS?
I don't have a link but there is a SK official release that SK Standard Plus is Wolf Match...
I,think the plant is one of those places that contracts out their machines ? Wolf ammo is Russian company but I have seen several countries on the boxes.

SK Jagd was an independent company in Germany that produced ammo under their own label and under contract under the Wolf label. Wolf is a trademark used by importing/distribution company in the United States on ammo made in several countries (Russia, Germany, Serbia, Spain, etc...). Lapua purchased SK Jagd and continued operations from its Germany location and also moved production of Lapua branded .22LR ammo to Germany from Finland.

SK Jagd was an independent company in Germany that produced ammo under their own label and under contract under the Wolf label. Wolf is a trademark used by importing/distribution company in the United States on ammo made in several countries (Russia, Germany, Serbia, Spain, etc...). Lapua purchased SK Jagd and continued operations from its Germany location and also moved production of Lapua branded .22LR ammo to Germany from Finland.

Aha- thank you. So Lapua and Wolf match 22LR will essentially be SK German made.

Aha- thank you. So Lapua and Wolf match 22LR will essentially be SK German made.

Lapua, SK, and Wolf are all made in the same place.

I don't have any current production Lapua ammo, primarily because of the premium that it carries. (I typically shoot SK, which my Walther seems to like well enough) I can't speak to how things such as lube, etc... differ from the former Finnish production Lapua. Everything that I've read suggests that the Lapua ammo is subjected to greater quality control standards. The Lapua brand also has certain loads that are more unique.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some of the highest end Wolf and SK loadings have been discontinued. Eg. Wolf Gold Match and SK Match 50 (which was supposed to be on tier with RWS R50).

Lapua, SK, and Wolf are all made in the same place.

I don't have any current production Lapua ammo, primarily because of the premium that it carries. (I typically shoot SK, which my Walther seems to like well enough) I can't speak to how things such as lube, etc... differ from the former Finnish production Lapua. Everything that I've read suggests that the Lapua ammo is subjected to greater quality control standards. The Lapua brand also has certain loads that are more unique.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some of the highest end Wolf and SK loadings have been discontinued. Eg. Wolf Gold Match and SK Match 50 (which was supposed to be on tier with RWS R50).

I noticed recently poking around I see SK match pistol and SK match Rifle
I have not seen any wolf Match gold or Match Extra in a few years. Match Target I have seen.

I don't know how new Papua Xact is but theres a few guys shooting it around me. The one boxes I picked up said Finnland on it? IIRC. Anyway it's crazy how different the ammo looks side by side.
One of the guys was telling me lapua offers different size bullets in the Midas line?

For a quick comparison I ran some old Rusian made Junior ammo through my 513t which I'm shooting pretty well by my standars. It was a fresh brick. Heavy wax paper. Opened a new box and after at least 25 years plus of sitting looked great. They are lubed heavily bit more than the SK.

I shot 20 rounds at 100 yards prone. It impacted 2" left vs SK sight setting. But I still managed to keep the group under 3.5". This old cheap ammo also ran flawlessly out of my 22lr Tac sol upper. Ding the 6" plate at 100 yards with almost boring consistency.

I even ran some of the U.S. contracted remington stuff CMP offered few years ago.
For 4 cents per round not to shabby. Held close to 2.5" with a few flyers killing the group. Buy Gain 20 year old ammo at 4 cents each...what do you expect.

There's no local source for match ammo so I have to keep looking. I don't think my rifle or skills warrant spending more than 12$ box ?

I don't think my rifle or skills warrant spending more than 12$ box ?

The RWS 50 I found for a great deal, probably over that normally. Of course the Tenex is over as well. Most everything else I tested is under the $12 threshold.

Likewise, my skills and rifles would not take advantage of the pricier stuff anyway.

The RWS 50 I found for a great deal, probably over that normally. Of course the Tenex is over as well. Most everything else I tested is under the $12 threshold.

Likewise, my skills and rifles would not take advantage of the pricier stuff anyway.

I really need to get a picture of my bore of the 513t.... you will laugh and wonder how even 3 MOA is,possible! 1 was glad to put the last 20 rounds over the weekend to under 2 moa prone at 100 yards.
With the 7.50$ SK plus

I noticed recently poking around I see SK match pistol and SK match Rifle
I have not seen any wolf Match gold or Match Extra in a few years. Match Target I have seen.

I don't know how new Papua Xact is but theres a few guys shooting it around me. The one boxes I picked up said Finnland on it? IIRC. Anyway it's crazy how different the ammo looks side by side.
One of the guys was telling me lapua offers different size bullets in the Midas line?

For a quick comparison I ran some old Rusian made Junior ammo through my 513t which I'm shooting pretty well by my standars. It was a fresh brick. Heavy wax paper. Opened a new box and after at least 25 years plus of sitting looked great. They are lubed heavily bit more than the SK.

I shot 20 rounds at 100 yards prone. It impacted 2" left vs SK sight setting. But I still managed to keep the group under 3.5". This old cheap ammo also ran flawlessly out of my 22lr Tac sol upper. Ding the 6" plate at 100 yards with almost boring consistency.

I even ran some of the U.S. contracted remington stuff CMP offered few years ago.
For 4 cents per round not to shabby. Held close to 2.5" with a few flyers killing the group. Buy Gain 20 year old ammo at 4 cents each...what do you expect.

There's no local source for match ammo so I have to keep looking. I don't think my rifle or skills warrant spending more than 12$ box ?

If it was made in finland, then it is old production. new production is made in germany and comes in boxes that more or less look like the one in this link (though with slightly different designations and target designs depending on intended use):
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578221303

Yes. Lapua did make different dia bullets. Boxes are marked with a little tag, and some higher tier shooters would experiment and order with bullets that they believed best matched their rifles. Interestingly, Lapua has testing centers in both Arizona and Germany to help match ammo to a shooter (or teams) guns. [Really high level shooters will buy large quantities of the best lot of the best load for their rifles]

My super-awsome rifle is a Walther GX1, which was the only western rifle to ever beat the Anschutz 54 (and derivative) rifles in the Olympics (a shooter using a Walther GX1 was able to win a gold at Montreal in 1976). I also have a few domestic rifles as well (416, winchester 75). I've never shot the CMP Remington (though I know it can be very effective- when I was junior, some of the clubs were using it to really good effect in 50' matches). Current domestic target ammo really doesn't impress me very much. It has a purpose, and is economical (i.e. when I have shot indoor 'light rifle' matches with my 75, Remington Target is more than adequate). However in either the walther or the 75, I have found that actual groupings with Euro ammo tend to be so much better, and more consistent.

If you have a Cabela's store local to you, they may have some match grade ammo available. They have had it fairly consistently at my local store (East Hartford). Recently, I've noticed that my local Dick's stores have started carrying Eley as well. (Which allows them to have .22 on shelf outside of the promos that Remington GB, Winchester, and Federal ammos show up for). It's one of the interesting ways that things have improved since the panic- of course, the downside is that you can often only get high end ammo and promo ammo is closing the price gap.

Usually R50 is like $17/box.

Lower tier RWS is cheaper (i.e. target rifle, match rifle, special match) 8-12/box.

If it was made in finland, then it is old production. new production is made in germany and comes in boxes that more or less look like the one in this link (though with slightly different designations and target designs depending on intended use):
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578221303

Yes. Lapua did make different dia bullets. Boxes are marked with a little tag, and some higher tier shooters would experiment and order with bullets that they believed best matched their rifles. Interestingly, Lapua has testing centers in both Arizona and Germany to help match ammo to a shooter (or teams) guns. [Really high level shooters will buy large quantities of the best lot of the best load for their rifles]

My super-awsome rifle is a Walther GX1, which was the only western rifle to ever beat the Anschutz 54 (and derivative) rifles in the Olympics (a shooter using a Walther GX1 was able to win a gold at Montreal in 1976). I also have a few domestic rifles as well (416, winchester 75). I've never shot the CMP Remington (though I know it can be very effective- when I was junior, some of the clubs were using it to really good effect in 50' matches). Current domestic target ammo really doesn't impress me very much. It has a purpose, and is economical (i.e. when I have shot indoor 'light rifle' matches with my 75, Remington Target is more than adequate). However in either the walther or the 75, I have found that actual groupings with Euro ammo tend to be so much better, and more consistent.

If you have a Cabela's store local to you, they may have some match grade ammo available. They have had it fairly consistently at my local store (East Hartford). Recently, I've noticed that my local Dick's stores have started carrying Eley as well. (Which allows them to have .22 on shelf outside of the promos that Remington GB, Winchester, and Federal ammos show up for). It's one of the interesting ways that things have improved since the panic- of course, the downside is that you can often only get high end ammo and promo ammo is closing the price gap.

No cabelas close cheaper to have it shipped if I can find what I want in stock.
I don't have any extra special rifles. 513t with Redfield 75 and Olympic front sight.
I have not shot anything remotely "nice" since Jr rifle 9-13 years old. Maybe a fist full of clean 50' targets back then. Did some 25 yard shooting also. The best rifles offered to us on Jr rifle who couldn't afford our own where a few mossberg 44s H&R model 12 and a well used 40x .... I took MotoX more seriously from 12-22 then got back into shooting more than just plinking at the pits again in 2002.

I,did have a anchutz pellet gun side cocker in my teens that shot great at 10m

Back
Top Bottom