• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accurizing a 1903 Springfield?

Mountain

NES Member
This would be to install my 1941 Sniper clone into a Minelli C-stock that I have plus any additional 'CMP compliant' mods for better long term accuracy. Via some clean up, I have dropped the trigger from 5.5 lb (ouch, LOL) to a Garand worthy 4.5 lb pull. Snipers can have 2.5 lbs pull. Already has a Criterion barrel with a very well done chamber. I think I need a new trigger and may have a lighter spring to install.

I'll do a little more digging on the web for more tips but would appreciate any good advice and/or links for general 1903 accurizing and/or stock fitting. I'll share what 'helpful' information I've found so far- here's what they say to folks who ask such questions:
  • You would be far better served by practicing more.
  • There's more to be gained from load development than from messing with the gun.
  • I know what to do but for liability reasons I can't tell you.
  • Send it to so-and-so who is on this forum and he will do it for $2K.
  • Leave it alone- Uncle Sam's armorers knew better than you, bubba.
  • Send it to me and pay me $2K to do it.
  • Why should we tell you- you can dig for the info just like we did.
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Any helpful advice / links most appreciated. @dw617 , didn't you do your own work on your 1903A3? What fitting and/or mods were necessary for the stock?

Well the obvious for sum ;) Clean and polish for some I have to add...polishing is not grinding.
Polish all the contact points and make sure any moving parts are clean and free moving. I drove myself nuts once by not noticing a burr on a trigger pivot pin. the pin was moving with the trigger and then binding in the housing. NOT a 1903 though.

for the 1903 and mausers pay close attention to the cocking piece sear. My 1903a4 clone is in need of a trigger tune also as everything is freshly parked.

So clean it well. Polish up the trigger humps and where they contact the receiver. Make sure the springs are clean and not bent like bananas and rubbing

I tried a lighter main spring in my 1903a3 I use for cmp and I swear it made it mushy ? My 1903a3 I uase in cmp has a really nice trigger. I dont think its much over 4lbs?

Thanks guys- I thought I had seen a post from DW.

I've ordered new cross bolts and a trigger guard bolt bushing for the Minelli. Also ordered a serrated NM trigger and sear, personal preference.

I can deal with the somewhat fat outer contour of the Minelli, so any work to be done will only be for better fit of the action. What about those hand guard clips? Any work to be done for making those fit / clear the barrel?

Thanks guys- I thought I had seen a post from DW.

I've ordered new cross bolts and a trigger guard bolt bushing for the Minelli. Also ordered a serrated NM trigger and sear, personal preference.

I can deal with the somewhat fat outer contour of the Minelli, so any work to be done will only be for better fit of the action. What about those hand guard clips? Any work to be done for making those fit / clear the barrel?
I been looking I know I came across the Armorers book for National Match 1903s some where. I know I had it on my old PC when it crashed.

Im on my phone but I think this has some info?

I just cant make it out on my small phone

I been looking I know I came across the Armorers book for National Match 1903s some where. I know I had it on my old PC when it crashed.

Im on my phone but I think this has some info?

I just cant make it out on my small phone

You can enlarge the text by clicking the magnifying glass with the plus sign at the top.

I was able to see the preview of it on a Fire tablet. Interesting but from the preview I can't tell if it will have any helpful technical info regarding accurizing 'how to'.

There's a ton of stuff on the web for Garands but so far I have not seen similar detailed accurizing info for the 1903. I'll keep digging.

I have that book, will browse at some point this weekend and see if there is anything re: accurizing.

This is just me, but the stock fitment and trigger will likely contribute the most. There aren't any gas cylinders unitize or anything like that, which is nice.

Any known problem areas for the stocks?
I have been looking , I know its out there some where. It looks like most any other US TSM's

heres a few to look through

Amazon product ASIN B001GDYXCGView: https://www.amazon.com/Department-Technical-Ordnance-Maintenance-M1903A1/dp/B001GDYXCG

Stock fit ....theres always talk of the "draw" pressure.

You can go through these. Im sure you will find usful info

Not sure if theres anything in this you dont already know ?
Amazon product ASIN 1980538247View: https://www.amazon.com/M1903-Springfield-Performance-Tuning-Manual/dp/1980538247

Last edited:
This would be to install my 1941 Sniper clone into a Minelli C-stock that I have plus any additional 'CMP compliant' mods for better long term accuracy. Via some clean up, I have dropped the trigger from 5.5 lb (ouch, LOL) to a Garand worthy 4.5 lb pull. Snipers can have 2.5 lbs pull. Already has a Criterion barrel with a very well done chamber. I think I need a new trigger and may have a lighter spring to install.

I'll do a little more digging on the web for more tips but would appreciate any good advice and/or links for general 1903 accurizing and/or stock fitting. I'll share what 'helpful' information I've found so far- here's what they say to folks who ask such questions:
  • You would be far better served by practicing more.
  • There's more to be gained from load development than from messing with the gun.
  • I know what to do but for liability reasons I can't tell you.
  • Send it to so-and-so who is on this forum and he will do it for $2K.
  • Leave it alone- Uncle Sam's armorers knew better than you, bubba.
  • Send it to me and pay me $2K to do it.
  • Why should we tell you- you can dig for the info just like we did.
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Any helpful advice / links most appreciated. @dw617 , didn't you do your own work on your 1903A3? What fitting and/or mods were necessary for the stock?
you think with such a iconic rifle info would be a bit easier. Like me trying to find the table rack and handle for my drill press. Heck I cant even find the correct chuck key! its a older JET/Orbit and JET could not even tell me if a newer model rack would fit or not.

Update 8/15/20:

Working on this was slow going due to knee surgery and recovery. In the meantime I left this for a trigger job and stock fitting with a highly skilled armorer who some of us affectionately refer to as the Spaghetti King or other Italian themed nick names. Trigger came back at 2.75 lbs pull so that it will break in closer to the 2.5 lbs allowed by CMP for Vintage Sniper. Really nice trigger- he's done a couple Garands for me and is awesome at trigger jobs. Unfortunately the USMC 8X Unertl clone scope was at Hi-Lux for service so he could not shoot it to check the fitting. Definitely an improvement:

bMHRh9nh.jpg

Chrono was my MagnetoSpeed, which are known to be very accurate. SD of 6.2 and ES of 17 is pretty damn consistent, so I don't think there's much to be gained from changing the load other than slight adjustments for a better 'node' barrel harmonics.

While ~1.5 MOA would be well within the 10-ring at 600 yards, on a good eyes and lighting day I can shoot 5-shot groups within 1.5 MOA with several of my iron sight rifles: AR-bomination, K31, 1903 National Match, and the Beater Swede. I'd like to get this Scoped '03 closer to 1 MOA. It has an almost new Criterion barrel and should make 1 MOA if everything is sorted out. Barrel is currently free-floating- maybe next step is to try downward pressure at muzzle end of the stock?

I should mention at first it was shooting ~1" with either 175's or 168's after the stock work, but something has happened since. All I had done was tried to put some washers in the gaps for the stock band and sling loop so it doesn't swing. Cranking that screw down was worse, now it's at 20 inch lbs which is better but not as good as it was. Maybe I need to check and make sure I didn't offset the hand guard to the stock? Something's up.

Last edited:
Update 8/15/20:

Working on this was slow going due to knee surgery and recovery. In the meantime I left this for a trigger job and stock fitting with a highly skilled armorer who some of us affectionately refer to as the Spaghetti King or other Italian themed nick names. Trigger came back at 2.75 lbs pull so that it will break in closer to the 2.5 lbs allowed by CMP for Vintage Sniper. Really nice trigger- he's done a couple Garands for me and is awesome at trigger jobs. Unfortunately the USMC 8X Unertl clone scope was at Hi-Lux for service so he could not shoot it to check the fitting. Definitely an improvement:

bMHRh9nh.jpg

Chrono was my MagnetoSpeed, which are known to be very accurate. SD of 6.2 and ES of 17 is pretty damn consistent, so I don't think there's much to be gained from changing the load other than slight adjustments for a better 'node' barrel harmonics.

While ~1.5 MOA would be well within the 10-ring at 600 yards, on a good eyes and lighting day I can shoot 5-shot groups within 1.5 MOA with several of my iron sight rifles: AR-bomination, K31, 1903 National Match, and the Beater Swede. I'd like to get this Scoped '03 closer to 1 MOA. It has an almost new Criterion barrel and should make 1 MOA if everything is sorted out. Barrel is currently free-floating- maybe next step is to try downward pressure at muzzle end of the stock?

I should mention at first it was shooting ~1" with either 175's or 168's after the stock work, but something has happened since. All I had done was tried to put some washers in the gaps for the stock band and sling loop so it doesn't swing. Cranking that screw down was worse, now it's at 20 inch lbs which is better but not as good as it was. Maybe I need to check and make sure I didn't offset the hand guard to the stock? Something's up.
yea just had to touch it didnt ya! undo what you done.

I wish I could find it, I know theres a good tid bit on what the gents in Phily did to get the usmc 1903a1 sniper doing well.
I know they took the best of tested lots of the 1903s and went from there.
I want to say with the best lots of ammo 1.25" groups where good to go BUT I dont know if that was tested with iron sights in a testing jig or scoped ?

maybe you can apply some mauser tips to the mauser clone?

yea just had to touch it didnt ya! undo what you done.

I wish I could find it, I know theres a good tid bit on what the gents in Phily did to get the usmc 1903a1 sniper doing well.
I know they took the best of tested lots of the 1903s and went from there.
I want to say with the best lots of ammo 1.25" groups where good to go BUT I dont know if that was tested with iron sights in a testing jig or scoped ?

maybe you can apply some mauser tips to the mauser clone?

Well, the '03 is pretty much a rip-off of the Mauser so...

I had a pretty good run today in the rain/ 200 yards cmp. We ran each course of fire with out scoring to speed up time. My first 2 shots went low and could see them through the spotscope. To a wag at sight correction and just let them fly. Between the rain and fogging up glasses .......it was fun
5779EF5D-1CDC-4739-B950-C14F95153145.jpeg
280/300
Off hand was not to fun. I kept drifting high.

Pay attention to your components. Saving pennies never works out for scoring better.
Cheap Privi 150g M2s
ol9K7ML.jpg

Same day same 25 yard targets at 100 yards and 168g Match Kings and IMR 4064
Al1r7Ea.jpg

Practice, practice and practice till you reach your limit before attacking the rifle.

2GKDD86.jpg

Good luck.

Agreed regarding components, but that's not the issue here. Using TMK's or SMK's, Varget, Lapua brass, CCI BR primers, and neck sizing. As for practice, I'm testing via bench shooting with a solid rest so not a lot of skill involved. I can get sub 1/2 MOA with a few of my scoped rifles and 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 MOA with my better iron sight rifles. Load is performing very consistently with a SD of 7 fps and ES in the teens. It's time to mess with the rifle.

I may have shifted the hand guard to stock fit when messing with the lower band, I'll keep working on it. If I can get that 1-1/2 MOA down to a 1 MOA or close I'll be satisfied.

Agreed regarding components, but that's not the issue here. Using TMK's or SMK's, Varget, Lapua brass, CCI BR primers, and neck sizing. As for practice, I'm testing via bench shooting with a solid rest so not a lot of skill involved. I can get sub 1/2 MOA with a few of my scoped rifles and 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 MOA with my better iron sight rifles. Load is performing very consistently with a SD of 7 fps and ES in the teens. It's time to mess with the rifle.

I may have shifted the hand guard to stock fit when messing with the lower band, I'll keep working on it. If I can get that 1-1/2 MOA down to a 1 MOA or close I'll be satisfied.
I brought my clone 03A4 to the match but i did not wantvto deal with the rain.
I brought a mixed bag of shit and some cast loads to run. I know I posted somewhere and IIRC i was right there at 1.25-1.5 groups before I stopped testing

I'm at 1.5"+ and it took some effort to shoot a couple groups in a row that tight. I'll work on it tonight.
Are the sights still intact? Maybe shoot some groups with out the scope.
i would just recheck everything.
Make sure all is tight also not to tight.
maybe try some FGMM in it?

Are the sights still intact? Maybe shoot some groups with out the scope.
i would just recheck everything.
Make sure all is tight also not to tight.
maybe try some FGMM in it?

Some stuff going on with this stock- I think it's cockeyed. 🤪

Was going to retry resting the barrel down on the tip of the stock and free float everywhere else. Noticed that the barrel was pushing to one side at the tip of the stock, so it wasn't just the hand guard that had shifted. Tried shifting the receiver a little then re-torquing the action screws and was careful not to induce a shift when torquing down the lower and upper bands. Barrel now has ~4 lbs force downward at tip of the stock and is somewhat centered. There's a little more clearance on one side but it's pretty close side to side and no longer pushing sideways. One of my last two wu flu furlough days, so maybe I'll go to the range and test.

Uno, dos, tres, quatro,...

nTJ5i12h.jpg

MIERDA!!!

IICfXA1h.jpg

Seriously, a near bug-hole at 100 yards with a ~90 year old rifle (sort of) and my last shot on target had to be this. [banghead] Maybe I flinched, maybe. Unfortunately, I think it's a rifle caused flyer, which won't be acceptable at 600 yards. I'm not particularly happy with the fit of the Minelli but maybe it can be sorted out.

Oh well, making progress with some 'CMP careful fitting'. ;) Actually I was pretty happy with this group not only for getting the sniper sorted out but the wind was blowing sand and dust off of the 50 yard berm. I'll have to take the calipers to the group that doesn't count just for grins.

Some stuff going on with this stock- I think it's cockeyed. 🤪

Was going to retry resting the barrel down on the tip of the stock and free float everywhere else. Noticed that the barrel was pushing to one side at the tip of the stock, so it wasn't just the hand guard that had shifted. Tried shifting the receiver a little then re-torquing the action screws and was careful not to induce a shift when torquing down the lower and upper bands. Barrel now has ~4 lbs force downward at tip of the stock and is somewhat centered. There's a little more clearance on one side but it's pretty close side to side and no longer pushing sideways. One of my last two wu flu furlough days, so maybe I'll go to the range and test.
My first C stock I bought for my 1903a3 seem to fit ok. But if you touched the barrel like pushing it to see if there is some draw on it. You would hear a click and the barrel would not settle back centered. 2 things I found , barrel channel twisted and the magazine body was touching the bottom of the action. CMP sent me a new stock and it fit much better.

Uno, dos, tres, quatro,...

nTJ5i12h.jpg

MIERDA!!!

IICfXA1h.jpg

Seriously, a near bug-hole at 100 yards with a ~90 year old rifle (sort of) and my last shot on target had to be this. [banghead] Maybe I flinched, maybe. Unfortunately, I think it's a rifle caused flyer, which won't be acceptable at 600 yards. I'm not particularly happy with the fit of the Minelli but maybe it can be sorted out.

Oh well, making progress with some 'CMP careful fitting'. ;) Actually I was pretty happy with this group not only for getting the sniper sorted out but the wind was blowing sand and dust off of the 50 yard berm. I'll have to take the calipers to the group that doesn't count just for grins.
Did you track those shots, did each shot progressively go left?

1st shot left-most one fully in the orange. Next one just right of 1st. 3rd shot just above 2nd. 4th is to left just outside orange. 5th is the 'Fvck!' shot. I can fix it, my Dad's a TV repair man.
that 5th shot is like a HXP flyer!

Back
Top Bottom