• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accurizing a 1903 Springfield?

First 4 shots are a 0.46" group. Last shot makes it ~2.05". Barreled action is in time out, stock is going to get flogged.

I just shoot them the way I got them. I use 200 LC 54 match cases on their second reload. I don't expect I will ever shoot over a 380 at 200 yards but I have a good time punting at it.

08ZtBbC.jpg

Great looking rifles. If I make it to a CMP store anytime in the near future I hope to pick up a 03A3 and if the barrel is decent will just shoot it as-is. One would have to get lucky to have an '03 that's accurate enough to provide the bones for a USMC 1941 sniper clone. I have a bonafide National Match '03 that is still extremely accurate and would make a fantastic sniper clone, but it would be an unforgivable sin to alter it.

I just shoot them the way I got them. I use 200 LC 54 match cases on their second reload. I don't expect I will ever shoot over a 380 at 200 yards but I have a good time punting at it.

08ZtBbC.jpg
I have several I shoot as is and its fun to get good scores with them also, its also fun to take a otherwise non collector , pre buggered up rifle and try to get it to shoot its best.
Nice rifles MJ

first thing, that spaghetti blade has to go!

Spaghetti King won't even shoot one of those sights. Says he can't see it, so no need to pull the trigger.

Taking the '03 sniper to the range for another quick test this morning. Hope the groups don't blow up again.

Getting better. Shot a couple groups over 1.5" but I'm pretty sure the loose screw was the one pulling the trigger. Took my time, settled down, and shot a 1.04 MOA group with the 175 TMK's and Lapua brass. 3 of these 5 shots were a bug hole- 2 of them almost through the same hole. Also shot a 1.49" group with 168 Nosler CC blems in PPU brass. Variable wind a small factor.

Found this online regarding a Gibbs A4 clone's accuracy:

accuracy-shooting-matches-sniper-vintage-6.jpg

So I'm in the ballpark. Would be good to always be pretty close to 1 maybe 1-1/4 MOA. 600 yard MR target has a 12" 10-ring, so have to be a little under 2 MOA. SR is used at 300 yards and has a 7" 10 ring, so roughly 2.3 MOA for that.

Last edited:
Getting better. Shot a couple groups over 1.5" but I'm pretty sure the loose screw was the one pulling the trigger. Took my time, settled down, and shot a 1.04 MOA group with the 175 TMK's and Lapua brass. 3 of these 5 shots were a bug hole- 2 of them almost through the same hole. Also shot a 1.49" group with 168 Nosler CC blems in PPU brass. Variable wind a small factor.

Found this online regarding a Gibbs A4 clone's accuracy:

accuracy-shooting-matches-sniper-vintage-6.jpg

So I'm in the ballpark. Would be good to always be pretty close to 1 maybe 1-1/4 MOA. 600 yard MR target has a 12" 10-ring, so have to be a little under 2 MOA. SR is used at 300 yards and has a 7" 10 ring, so roughly 2.3 MOA for that.
My A4 clone was Rock Ridge Machine built. Its not clear on who made what and who made them better.
Rumor mil is RRM made them for Gibbs per contract then RRM did their owm label after. I bought mine through creedmor sports labeled as RRM. The scope is a lux repro gen 3 I think.
This guy had a 1903 action with 1” heavy barrel , cast loads 1900 fps is
In tested load for him.
EBDD0CC0-A7F7-4DAA-87EC-0BDAAAAD71EB.jpeg

I retrieved his target for him at 200 yards
5BA17E42-7747-4479-9098-F2C3297AEB3E.jpeg
I can only assume the group on right was his first 10 shots or so then adjusted to center it up once he saw it grouping well.

Last edited:
Made a quick trip to the range today to check my work with the USMC sniper clone and sight in 155 TMK's so I don't have to burn up 175's at only 200 yards in the OCSA vintage sniper match.

Some of my struggles were self-inflicted, though the stock did need some fitting and the 8X Unertl clone did need servicing. If I didn't already mention, Hi-lux was excellent for warranty service. Here are the targets from today's shake-down:

oFu7LEgl.jpg
H4Cg24Kl.jpg

Yeah, yeah- only 3 shot groups but the first group started with a cold barrel and the second group was shot right after only pausing to move the elevation down 2 clicks. If it doesn't start opening up from cold to the 6th shot, it's not going to go south much in only 10 shots starting from warm. Each stage of vintage sniper is only 10 shots. Groups of 0.704" with the 175's and 0.558" with the 155's means it's time to stop messing around with the rifle and just shoot it. Sure the typical 5-shot groups will be bigger but if six in a row stay tight like this I'll be OK.

Made a quick trip to the range today to check my work with the USMC sniper clone and sight in 155 TMK's so I don't have to burn up 175's at only 200 yards in the OCSA vintage sniper match.

Some of my struggles were self-inflicted, though the stock did need some fitting and the 8X Unertl clone did need servicing. If I didn't already mention, Hi-lux was excellent for warranty service. Here are the targets from today's shake-down:

oFu7LEgl.jpg
H4Cg24Kl.jpg

Yeah, yeah- only 3 shot groups but the first group started with a cold barrel and the second group was shot right after only pausing to move the elevation down 2 clicks. If it doesn't start opening up from cold to the 6th shot, it's not going to go south much in only 10 shots starting from warm. Each stage of vintage sniper is only 10 shots. Groups of 0.704" with the 175's and 0.558" with the 155's means it's time to stop messing around with the rifle and just shoot it. Sure the typical 5-shot groups will be bigger but if six in a row stay tight like this I'll be OK.
Ha, you know the only reason you got a good group was the bullets cant see that ghost ring 200 yard zero thingy on your target. They thought you where trying to hit that big orange dot and avoided it!
My A4 and me are only good for 1.5 moa, that 2X M73 clone scope is awful. I think I would shoot better with a nice set of lyman Match sights
Should be fun , I might drag the enfield for the chance of sneaking in a round of vintage before the sniper match. I have not even shot my 03a4 enough to shake the screws loose!

Ha, you know the only reason you got a good group was the bullets cant see that ghost ring 200 yard zero thingy on your target. They thought you where trying to hit that big orange dot and avoided it!
My A4 and me are only good for 1.5 moa, that 2X M73 clone scope is awful. I think I would shoot better with a nice set of lyman Match sights
Should be fun , I might drag the enfield for the chance of sneaking in a round of vintage before the sniper match. I have not even shot my 03a4 enough to shake the screws loose!

Yeah, the orange target sticker is cheating a bit but since I was trying to verify accuracy in poor light they were necessary. Those stupid ghost rings have been doing the job. I usually need no more than 1 click adjustment when shooting at 200 and often no adjustment at all.

Shot the 'new' K31 with some 125's I loaded in the past. After the first wild shot when cold, seems to be holding the SR1 10-ring but I didn't have enough ammo to sight in on the elevated ghost rings. I'll just grab the old Schutzenfest K31 since it's plug and play at 200 with GP11. I now have enough GP11 to cover me for a few years.

I have always had some difficulty using the 03 and even the 03A3 sights in anything less that perfect setting. The thin front blades and the multiple apertures on the 03 at distance past 400 yards. in 1968 we were trying to reach a muzzle flash in a bush line at dusk with an 03 and a scoped M1. I don't think we even got close .

9OjcEth.jpg

Here's the USMC 1941 clone, photo courtesy of @wegman from our last match at OCSA. Mine is to the right of the K31 (also mine, as is the M1 to the left of the K31). Two silvers with the K31 and M1. Did OK with the sniper but could not see the holes due to mirage and afternoon light conditions.

img_2615-jpg.396368

img_2617-jpg.396370

Here's the USMC 1941 clone, photo courtesy of @wegman from our last match at OCSA. Mine is to the right of the K31 (also mine, as is the M1 to the left of the K31). Two silvers with the K31 and M1. Did OK with the sniper but could not see the holes due to mirage and afternoon light conditions.

img_2615-jpg.396368

img_2617-jpg.396370
Mirage, what mirage? Oh never mind I only had 2.5X scope.

I only shot 3 sighters because I couldn't find the stupid holes in the target. Maybe set my spotting scope higher off the ground?
Nah, my 27X spitting scope was muddled by that late day mirrage. Only on the secound target did I see a few holes.

Made a quick trip to the range over lunch to see where I left my scope settings. Gee, no wonder I shot a 11:00 '7' in the match...

RNBjgx4h.jpg

Aiming for the center of the orange bull sticker but should have been sighted to hit blue X in the 'ghost' rings. That shot at 11:30 high is the first shot based on where I left the scope at the sniper match. As mentioned couldn't see squat with the heavy mirage and obviously moved way off center. Over compensated a little for that second shot, corrected, then shot these 3 shots:

tZIaGs5h.jpg

Yeah only 3 shots but nice sub 1/2" group. Yes, those are snowflakes on the targets. We got ~7" where I live.

Made a quick trip to the range over lunch to see where I left my scope settings. Gee, no wonder I shot a 11:00 '7' in the match...

RNBjgx4h.jpg

Aiming for the center of the orange bull sticker but should have been sighted to hit blue X in the 'ghost' rings. That shot at 11:30 high is the first shot based on where I left the scope at the sniper match. As mentioned couldn't see squat with the heavy mirage and obviously moved way off center. Over compensated a little for that second shot, corrected, then shot these 3 shots:

tZIaGs5h.jpg

Yeah only 3 shots but nice sub 1/2" group. Yes, those are snowflakes on the targets. We got ~7" where I live.
Nice , i hope I stayed zeroed , still dont know if last match was the rifle or the scope. Of course i changed ammo , saving the 155s for the K31 , not many left. I did sneak out and test the A4 with 168s.
If all holds well no reason but my tired,blind rusty boogah hook to blame.

Back
Top Bottom