• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ACLU Sticks Up for the NRA?!

rep308

NES Member
From one of my favorite websites Reason.com

ACLU Sticks Up for the NRA?!

The official view of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) remains that the Second Amendment protects a "collective right rather than an individual right." But the organization nevertheless is helping the National Rifle Association (NRA) fend off extralegal attempts by New York state officials to put it out of business.

In a brief filed in federal court today, the ACLU argues that New York's strong-arm efforts to compel banks and insurance companies to ditch the NRA as a customer represent a glaring violation of the First Amendment.

"Although public officials are free to express their opinions and may condemn viewpoints or groups they view as inimical to public welfare, they cannot abuse their regulatory authority to retaliate against disfavored advocacy organizations and to impose burdens on those organizations' ability to conduct lawful business," the ACLU says
.....snip

ACLU isnt sticking up for the NRA, its sticking up for itself using the NRA as a proxy.

Imagine a world where say, Texas prevents the ACLU from financing in their state, or maybe the Democratic party, or any other non profit based on "feelings".

ACLU isnt sticking up for the NRA, its sticking up for itself using the NRA as a proxy.

Imagine a world where say, Texas prevents the ACLU from financing in their state, or maybe the Democratic party, or any other non profit based on "feelings".
I think you are wrong. Dont be so negative. The ACLU is doing a good job, for the right reasons, on this, as they have for other causes. You need to get out more and understand the world outside of your trailer park. Thanks.

I think you are wrong. Dont be so negative. The ACLU is doing a good job, for the right reasons, on this, as they have for other causes. You need to get out more and understand the world outside of your trailer park. Thanks.

Actually he's right on the money.
The ACLU couldn't give a rats hairy bag about the second amendment.
They are covering their ass and the NRA is getting some benefit as an aside.

How is the 2A not an individual right when SCOTUS (and of course the plain words themselves) say it is? the ACLU is a 1A org. The fact that the NRA is getting a collateral benefit here is purely coincidental.

I've got nothing against the ACLU in general; they view themselves as a guardian against repressive government, which is honorable, and I agree with them on a lot of issues. I think they serve an important purpose, and I think they could be a LOT more harmful toward the 2a if tehy wanted to be.

I also think they're very, very good at PR. So, from that standpoint, I do think there's some cynicism involved in this amicus. But I'm not prepared to say that the organization and everyone in it is secretly okay with the state muscling in on enumerated rights.

The official view of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) remains that the Second Amendment protects a "collective right rather than an individual right."

How is the 2A not an individual right when SCOTUS (and of course the plain words themselves) say it is? the ACLU is a 1A org. The fact that the NRA is getting a collateral benefit here is purely coincidental.
Because they SAID so.

@LittleCalm I agree 110% with you. And @Drix nailed it.

Sir, I believe you underestimate the warm and heartfelt regard which the ACLU holds for the rodent scrotum.

But the 2nd Amendment? Yeah, not so much as their position is a statist one that would strip you and I of our guns outside of association with a state militia.

Second Amendment

:emoji_tiger:

They are covering their ass and the NRA is getting some benefit as an aside.

Indeed. The ACLU, as annoying and inconsistent as they are, recognize that what Cuomo is doing is something that if allowed to stand could be used against them. This could also be used against pet causes like Planed Parenthood in southern states.

To prevent that from happening, they have to stick up for the NRA. They're doing the right thing for completely selfish reasons.

You’re so brilliant. I hope I grow up to be half as awesome as you think you are.

Where’s the organization that agrees with my views 100% of the time, and does so for the same reasons I do? I want to donate.

Same with y’all. Anyone in 100% agreement with me on all issues at all times, for the same reasons, please get in touch. This having to listen to other people’s ideas and deciding for myself what I agree with and why is very tiring.

The best reason to belong to the ACLU and NRA is that when you go to Cambridge and produce both cards, heads start exploding.

is this possibly a sign of the coming apocalypse? Cats and dogs lying together, no stone shall be left upon another....

Back
Top Bottom