Active Freqs in Western Mass

Reptile

NES Member
Any active HAM freqs in Western Mass?

I have my radio turned on and want to see what's out there!

What do I know?

I have a VX-6R.

Do you have a link?

You should get chirp and a programming cable for your radio and then you can program all of the key frequencies in the area. I have countless channels programmed into my Yaesu VX-5 and turn it on and put it on scan.

You can get chirp here:

I bought the programming cable on amazon. I have 2 sets of frequencies and the cable handy on my mac and if I'm driving down to RI for the weekend I simply wipe out the radio and upload all of the RI frequencies into the handheld. The Yaesu is perfect for this.

If you REALLY want to see "what's out there" (not to get too crazy) the VS-6R has a packet port that can be used for setting up digital modes.

Even with a modest vertical (rubber duck), or homemade Yagi, you can Rx and or Rx/Tx with the ISS as it passes over. Uplinks and downlinks from the ISS are usually VHF. Orbitron is freeware that can track the position of the ISS is real time so you'll know when Rx probability is at its highest.

Several times a year they broadcast SSTV images, and collecting them is kind of cool. Here's a few I bagged with a small Diamond vertical mounted on a tripod.

Good luck !

ISS1.jpgISS2.jpg

I was in Northampton the other day and made my FIRST ever HAM contact on the Mt. Tom repeater.
I've been trying to connect from my bunker but at 5w it wont.

I noticed that I can detect a connection if I key the mic and a moment later there will be a response on the repeater listening frequency.

This signal was not detected from my bunker so I know it did not work.

I now want to get a more powerful transceiver that I can use in the bunker.
I just can't have an outside antenna so the antenna needs to be in my room.

I think that would be just fine if the wattage is powerful enough.

I only like the Yaesu brand and I want a radio that I can easily transport with a battery.

So, it's official...

After all these years of planning I am now a HAM.

My advice for what it's worth. Get a nice dual band (2m/440) 50 watt radio (Kenwood?) and power supply and put a dual band vertical on the roof. Stop dicking around with the hand held except when you're out for a walk. A man of your resume can afford that. Jack. W1FKG.

Too many new hams get depressed because they skimp on the equipment and find that they can't hit the repeaters or can't be heard or whatever. Power and antennas is everything in the VHF/UHF game. You can work the world on low power in the HF bands when conditions are right. Jack. W1FKG.

Last edited:
I was in Northampton the other day and made my FIRST ever HAM contact on the Mt. Tom repeater.
I've been trying to connect from my bunker but at 5w it wont.

I noticed that I can detect a connection if I key the mic and a moment later there will be a response on the repeater listening frequency.

This signal was not detected from my bunker so I know it did not work.

I now want to get a more powerful transceiver that I can use in the bunker.
I just can't have an outside antenna so the antenna needs to be in my room.

I think that would be just fine if the wattage is powerful enough.

I only like the Yaesu brand and I want a radio that I can easily transport with a battery.

So, it's official...

After all these years of planning I am now a HAM.
Jack is pretty much right on - antennas, power, and LOS are everything in VHF. Even a small Yagi gives you the ability to focus your power in a single direction instead of an omni-directional 360 degree splatter. Yagi's work great almost anywhere - even mounted outside a window.

I can hit W1TOM from the side of Monadnock - but I need to switch on the amp and swing the Yagi south. With an omni, I don't think even 200W would make it.

If you like Yaesu, and want something you can grow into (including HF) - check out this. Clearly a little pricey, but still one of the best all mode radios available. I've got one mounted in a go-box that I can throw into the car.

Good luck on the ham journey !

Jack is pretty much right on - antennas, power, and LOS are everything in VHF. Even a small Yagi gives you the ability to focus your power in a single direction instead of an omni-directional 360 degree splatter. Yagi's work great almost anywhere - even mounted outside a window.

I can hit W1TOM from the side of Monadnock - but I need to switch on the amp and swing the Yagi south. With an omni, I don't think even 200W would make it.

If you like Yaesu, and want something you can grow into (including HF) - check out this. Clearly a little pricey, but still one of the best all mode radios available. I've got one mounted in a go-box that I can throw into the car.

Good luck on the ham journey !

Looks cool.

I want a complete set up.

A ready to go rig to hold everything securely with a battery in a carrier or case.

What I'd like to do is to take the setup by car up to a mountain and run it off battery. All while using a portable antenna.

Looks cool.

I want a complete set up.

A ready to go rig to hold everything securely with a battery in a carrier or case.

What I'd like to do is to take the setup by car up to a mountain and run it off battery. All while using a portable antenna.
That'll work. If you're handy, you could mount a bracket on a roof rack and mount a yagi on a short mast that you can turn by hand. Don't need a long mast because you already have the elevation. You could take power off the car battery if you let the engine idle to keep the battery charged and don't run 100 W. Jack. W1FKG.

Too many new hams get depressed because they skimp on the equipment and find that they can't hit the repeaters or can't be heard or whatever. Power and antennas is everything in the VHF/UHF game. You can work the world on low power in the HF bands when conditions are right.
And some never buy a rig after they get a ticket.
And many, many buy a rig, but are too scared to ever Push To Talk.
(You've probably heard that).

Last edited:
My advice for what it's worth. Get a nice dual band (2m/440) 50 watt radio (Kenwood?) and power supply and put a dual band vertical on the roof. Stop dicking around with the hand held except when you're out for a walk. A man of your resume can afford that. Jack. W1FKG.
Good advice.

I have no insight nor comment about the resume.

Back
Top Bottom