• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active Shooter at Steel Plant

Aurora shooter opened fire at termination meeting; one victim was HR intern on first day

"Martin purchased the gun that was used in the shooting in 2014, police said. Ziman said Martin purchased the weapon after being issued a firearm owner's identification card and after passing the initial background check.

Five days after taking possession of the weapon, a Smith and Wesson 40 caliber handgun, Martin tried to obtain a concealed carry permit.

But during the fingerprinting and background process it was discovered that he had a felony conviction for assault in Mississippi, police said. The date of conviction was in 1995. Police said the conviction would not necessarily have shown up on the background check for a gun owner's license.

Because of the conviction, Martin's concealed carry permit was rejected and his license to own a weapon was revoked by Illinois State Police, police said.

Ziman said as part of the investigation into the shooting, investigators would try to determine why Martin never surrendered his weapon to police as he should have."

So he passed initial state background checks for a license for simple possession, passed the federal background check & was able to purchase a firearm at a dealer in accordance with the law without being flagged as a PP by the FBI, was only noticed to be a PP due to applying for a carry license, and then the authorities didn't bother following up.

But Bloomberg's buddies just gave Illinois a high grade for their wonderful gun control laws. [rolleyes]

So he passed initial state background checks for a license for simple possession, passed the federal background check & was able to purchase a firearm at a dealer in accordance with the law without being flagged as a PP by the FBI, was only noticed to be a PP due to applying for a carry license, and then the authorities didn't bother following up.
Another failure by government that leads to deaths. No wonder some people get the idea that these things are being allowed to happen.

Aurora shooter opened fire at termination meeting; one victim was HR intern on first day

But Bloomberg's buddies just gave Illinois a high grade for their wonderful gun control laws. [rolleyes]

Plus, GFZ.

Make sure you include ALL the stupid when pointing out the failure of gun control policies.

This is a great example of the failure of "no gun" policies common in the workplace. A shooter is virtually assured that all potential victims will be unarmed. I know I will be since I don't get into that "concealed is concealed" thing when it comes to employment.

Having even 1% of a workforce trained and armed, and a protocol for friend/foe recognition in place could dramatically change the odds, particularly in those workplaces where armed protection is a perk reserved to the CEO. Think you would keep your job at an Amazon development lab if caught carrying? Think you can get close to Bezos or Zukerberg without a gun carried on their behalf being right there?

It's no different than a company having multiple people trained in first aid, CPR and how to use a portable AED to keep the lid on things until the professional response arrives.

A question for the antis - if a disgruntled ex-employee shows up at your workplace and starts shooting, are you going to be relieved that all of your coworkers are unarmed?

Whole lot of fail there. Sounds like he never should have gotten the foid card to buy the gun in the first place, never mind the ccw. What good did administratively revoking it afterward do without followup?

Must be a loophole he exploited.

But .gov will do a bang up job handling every aspect of health care, the economy, etc. excuse me while I take another hit off of this here crack pipe!!

Off the news cycle already because we dont want progun people being allowed to point out every gun law that was already violated.

Sorry for the victims and their families. That sucks.

I wonder if the folks in the meeting had any idea ahead of time that the guy was potentially deadly. I also wonder what he was being fired for.

Sorry for the victims and their families. That sucks.

I wonder if the folks in the meeting had any idea ahead of time that the guy was potentially deadly. I also wonder what he was being fired for.

I wondered the same, about the reason for the firing. But they had a first-day intern sitting in on the meeting, so I'd guess it wasn't anything too sensitive.

Say good-bye to laser sights....

Employee being fired fatally shoots 5 co-workers with 'laser-sighted pistol' in Illinois

A 15-year employee being fired from a suburban Chicago manufacturing company opened fire with a laser-sighted pistol on Friday, killing five co-workers and wounding five police officers before he was killed by police, authorities said.

Aurora shooting: Victims identified in shooting at Henry Pratt Company; gunman also dead

The system failed again so now there will be more calls for gun control and due process violations.

"Martin pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and was sentenced to five years in prison, though records show he served less than three years. He later moved to Aurora, Illinois, where he spent 15 years working at the warehouse.

Authorities said Martin obtained an Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification Card in January 2014 despite his felony record, which Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said would not necessarily have shown up on a criminal-background check. Some states and local jurisdictions provide incomplete records to the federal database, and sometimes human error leads to missed information. The card is required to buy guns and ammunition in the state.

Martin later bought a Smith & Wesson .40-caliber handgun and applied for the concealed carry permit, which required fingerprinting. During that process, officials discovered Martin's felony conviction. His application for the permit was rejected, and his FOID card was revoked.

Those whose FOIDs have been revoked receive a notice from the Illinois State Police, telling them to surrender the card and list all the firearms in possession. But the law does not require authorities to confiscate the firearms. Instead, the letter asks people to specify that they either no longer have possession of the firearms or have given them to another person."

Illinois shooting: Man who killed five co-workers was domestic abuser banned from legally owning guns

Amazing.

You get turned down for a permit and your FOID gets ganked, presumably because whatever it is you've done is so egregious that in the state's eyes it makes you too unreliable to possess a firearm.

But somehow you're reliable enough to tell them, "Oh yeah. I got rid of all my gunz. Gave them to my buddy Scuzzy Joe. No worries," and the state just shrugs, buys it, and says thanks and have a nice day?

Really?

law enforcement fails again and law abiding citizens expected to become more infringed.
Yes, the government screws-up and the people that didn't do anything get punished for their screw-ups. It needs to be turned around.

Amazing.

You get turned down for a permit and your FOID gets ganked, presumably because whatever it is you've done is so egregious that in the state's eyes it makes you too unreliable to possess a firearm.

But somehow you're reliable enough to tell them, "Oh yeah. I got rid of all my gunz. Gave them to my buddy Scuzzy Joe. No worries," and the state just shrugs, buys it, and says thanks and have a nice day?

Really?

That's more or less the same thing that happens in MA unless for some reason the PD wants to follow up on it and clean you out, or it's linked inextricably to something like a 209A, or some high profile violent crime, etc.

I had a friend of mine who got charged several years ago for a disabling (but non violent) crime in an adjacent town. We moved out all his stuff ASAP via lawful, documented FFL transfers, but it's worthy of note that the local PD never came or ever even stopped by to inquire about his stuff, and he easily had over 20 guns at the time. (I know because my car was full of them on the way to the FFL!)

The happy fun ball thing is in reality none of it actually matters, it's just a dog and pony show, it doesn't prevent such a person from keeping a "hideout" gun somewhere else. I seem to remember a case a long assed time ago where someone got hit with a DV RO, got cleaned out, and then a few months later was caught sulking/creeping around his exes house or something with another gun, so much for that stuff being "effective". I seem to recall he actually buried the gun under his exes shed or something.

-Mike

c442f9d0-604d-458c-98ce-ccf321e17bc9-Pratt_Company.JPG

Back
Top Bottom