Active shooter response tool coming to Taunton schools. What is it?

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thoughts?

Soon, Taunton Public Schools and Taunton Police will take a big step in preparedness for a potential active shooter event, thanks to a partnership with the Southeastern Regional Planning and Economic Development District (SRPEDD) Homeland Security Department that will outfit the school district with enhanced response resources in the form of a set of 3-D maps and “layouts” of all 12 schools in Taunton.

They are already getting this with all new public buildings. Attleboro’s new high school also has shot spotter built into the school.

Thoughts?

Soon, Taunton Public Schools and Taunton Police will take a big step in preparedness for a potential active shooter event, thanks to a partnership with the Southeastern Regional Planning and Economic Development District (SRPEDD) Homeland Security Department that will outfit the school district with enhanced response resources in the form of a set of 3-D maps and “layouts” of all 12 schools in Taunton.
12 schools!! Holy f***

Thoughts?

Sounds like a waste of money.

100K+ public schools.

How many school shootings?

none of it helps if the cops are too scared to go in.

All of this would stop tomorrow if we armed teachers/janitors and administrators who qualify for an LTC.

Agreed but most teachers want nothing to do with it. My cousin is a long time teacher in the Sturbridge school system and she told me she’d quit if guns were allowed in school. She was with some friends and they all agreed. I’m sure some would carry but I bet it would be a very low number. But some is better then none in my opinion.

I’m sure a shooter who plans out there attack would access to those maps. Other than they probably know the law out as a student or former student. Or at least scout the location.

I bet these maps cost a fortune. A handful of 9 mm pistols would be far more useful

Back in the day we would just train inside the school after hours when everyone was gone. The department had keys to all the public buildings. Not even sure if we asked since the answer to everything is always “no.”
They still do, but that’s just the town cops and the occasional statie. In a real incident, every cop in Eastern MA is going to be headed toward my school, which has innumerable cubbyholes, closets, etc.

I assume a tool like this is largely meant to give the out-of-town LEOs some idea of the building layout before they go in to help clear.

Agreed but most teachers want nothing to do with it. My cousin is a long time teacher in the Sturbridge school system and she told me she’d quit if guns were allowed in school. She was with some friends and they all agreed. I’m sure some would carry but I bet it would be a very low number. But some is better then none in my opinion.
This makes me want it to be allowed everywhere even more now. Too many communists just in it for themselves.

They still do, but that’s just the town cops and the occasional statie. In a real incident, every cop in Eastern MA is going to be headed toward my school, which has innumerable cubbyholes, closets, etc.

I assume a tool like this is largely meant to give the out-of-town LEOs some idea of the building layout before they go in to help clear.
Let’s be real. By the time staties/out of town cops get there, it’s likely already over.

The only thing that really works is people already there, with guns, and balls. Limp wristed pension seekers ain’t gonna help shit.

That would be awesome if all the antis were gone from the schools

Let’s be real. By the time staties/out of town cops get there, it’s likely already over.

The only thing that really works is people already there, with guns, and balls. Limp wristed pension seekers ain’t gonna help shit.
I ain't in a school, but if I was nearby at work the cops would just be investigating

Where in my post did I imply anything other than what you're saying here?

In fact, you're essentially restating what I said: that these tools would help out-of-town officers help CLEAR. Meaning, search the building for other suspects. I'm quite well aware how most school shootings go down.

As for your second point, I've got a dozen posts scattered all over NES in favor of arming people on the scene.

none of it helps if the cops are too scared to go in.

All of this would stop tomorrow if we armed teachers/janitors and administrators who qualify for an LTC.
It’s a good effort and I’m all for it, but we’ll still see a lot of the same problems because people. Fear is a human problem and adrenaline dumps can really mess people up. It’s a million years of fight or flight kicking in all at once.

If they overcome that and are still mobile and thinking straight then there’s another hundred ways these things can go wrong, whether you’re in uniform or not.

People are entirely too unpredictable under intense pressure and courage is an individual trait, not a human one, it cannot be taught under any classroom or range conditions, and as well does not come free with a new LTC.

Ya it sounds like some movie tech where ‘control’ or dispatch has the screens up and they’re telling the responder in the field “Ok now go down that hallway to your left and he’s in room xxx, it’s 3 doors down on your right side.”

They can probably ‘tag’ people on screen with ‘colored markers’ IE F v F and then follow the icons on the mapping screen.

Ya it sounds like some movie tech where ‘control’ or dispatch has the screens up and they’re telling the responder in the field “Ok now go down that hallway to your left and he’s in room xxx, it’s 3 doors down on your right side.”

They can probably ‘tag’ people on screen with ‘colored markers’ IE F v F and then follow the icons on the mapping screen.
1666745451052.png

1666745595772.png
1666745683053.png

Back when my sons high school class was the first to go through ALICE training his old curmudgeon chemistry teacher was asked to participate. In front of the class he stated. “My class and I are good I have my permit”

Back
Top Bottom