Active shooter response tool coming to Taunton schools. What is it?

Our school district hired a security guard to supplement the SRO. He is completely unarmed, no vest, no nothing. Complete joke. Even our 6 yr old asked what the point was.

Where in my post did I imply anything other than what you're saying here?

In fact, you're essentially restating what I said: that these tools would help out-of-town officers help CLEAR. Meaning, search the building for other suspects. I'm quite well aware how most school shootings go down.

As for your second point, I've got a dozen posts scattered all over NES in favor of arming people on the scene.
What I’m trying to say is how does a map of the school, which would definitely help with post-Incident walk through, improve school safety??

What I’m trying to say is how does a map of the school, which would definitely help with post-Incident walk through, improve school safety??

Let me count the ways...

New officer orientation. Annual LEO refreshers. Planning by CoPs. It can be a visual aide when they brief the SC or the school staff.

I can think of others, too. I think of it as I used to think of sand tables when I was in the army: they're where you stand around with your homies and develop plans, work through SOPs, or plot out the enemy's most dangerous/most probable. All those things can help streamline a response and put everyone on the same page for comms, areas of responsibility, and possible bottlenecks, and that's even before training happens, let alone before the incident happens.

I'm not saying it's necessarily worth the money, but then I have no idea how much this thing costs.

none of it helps if the cops are too scared to go in.

All of this would stop tomorrow if we armed teachers/janitors and administrators who qualify for an LTC.
Here is a big question... Every police officer should have a key card or keys on their person to access schools and other government buildings.. grab a rifle and run towards the shooting..

Remember kids....(in a heavy Boston accent)... When being shot at by someone with a gun that is banned.. call a bunch of people from the government with guns... To stop said person shooting with a gun.

Why not have an Ansul-type system that pumps in knockout gas through the whole school and then just walk in all masked-up and cuff the intruder...? [rofl]
What could go wrong...?
1666756632691.png1666756817341.png

Why not have an Ansul-type system that pumps in knockout gas through the whole school and then just walk in all masked-up and cuff the intruder...? [rofl]
What could go wrong...?
View attachment 678202View attachment 678203
You should be in charge, russian government killed more hostages than terorists thinking like this in 2002 in a theater.

Well, we all know they couldn't install a good safe in each class that could only be opened by school staff. Finger print reader or the like. Or, you have the shot sensor thing that locks the class doors when a shot is detected. Keeping the door being able to be opened from the inside. Just two ideas in a minute of thought. But, common sense is lost on educated idiots.

So basically they got Dora the Explorer software. Awesome.

Soy il Mapo!
0f5c46ce-a9d5-4d9b-8d85-56720061009f.jpg

Vaminos!!!!!

All of this would stop tomorrow if we armed teachers/janitors and administrators who qualify for an LTC.
I agree with the idea, something's better than nothing. But it doesn't mean that those people won't also be to scared or capable of engaging in and winning a gun fight with someone who might have a long gun, more ammo, body armor, etc.

What could go wrong...?
View attachment 678202View attachment 678203
🤣 didn’t they try this in Russia?

All 40 of the insurgents were shot dead when unconscious, and up to 130 hostages died during the siege, including 9 foreigners, due to the toxic substance pumped into the theater.

I agree with the idea, something's better than nothing. But it doesn't mean that those people won't also be to scared or capable of engaging in and winning a gun fight with someone who might have a long gun, more ammo, body armor, etc.
of course but I think most people with an LTC would use it when needed....I guess we'd think that about cops too...difference here is these LTC holding adults are already stuck inside the building with the shooter. There's a huge difference between being faced with imminent death vs charging into a building with a shooter to save someone else's kid. I'd bet 9/10 times a teacher with a gun would use it when the shooter got to their classroom. Not recommending teachers try to hunt the shooter down in the hallways.

of course but I think most people with an LTC would use it when needed....I guess we'd think that about cops too...difference here is these LTC holding adults are already stuck inside the building with the shooter. There's a huge difference between being faced with imminent death vs charging into a building with a shooter to save someone else's kid. I'd bet 9/10 times a teacher with a gun would use it when the shooter got to their classroom. Not recommending teachers try to hunt the shooter down in the hallways.
Good point, going into the fire vs getting out of it are definitely two different things.

Active security monitoring all entry and exit points. Maglock doors with central control and manual override. Double door security at entry points. Stop letting the bastards in.

What happens when you have a janitor and several teachers in plain clothes, a detective (in plain clothes) who was out getting lunch and the off-duty rookie police yahoo in skinny jeans and a shedium t-shirt who was driving by and is now going in with a truck gun and no radio? And none of them knows who the other is.

Are any or all disciplined enough to hold back and ID each other without opening fire just because they see a male in plain clothes with a gun in his hand, specifically at a call for an active shooter, with no other information or description available of the shooter? Or shooters. Plus 01 rule. Where’s there’s one bad guy you always have to suspect and prepare for the possibility that there’s a second or even third shooter.

I’ve personally run this scenerio dozens of times while teaching the course and friendly fire is always a very large presence and high risk. It’s very difficult when you have numerous people rushing in thru different access doors, all armed, all scared and all amped up, to keep them from shooting each other, but it’s an incredibly important thing to be aware of and to set your mind to.

Gun does not equal bad guy. ID ID ID. You might come around a corner and see an adult male, with his back to you, raising a gun to fire at another adult male or a teenage kid. Which one is the shooter and which one is trying to stop the shooter?

We’ve tried to run it so that any plainclothes officers are trained to stay outside the red zone and assist with casualty collection and setting up a triage point, perimeter security, comms, getting a TOC up and running among other tasks, but it’s just an impossibility to get some people to not go in, it’s just who they are and why they became cops, so that’s not a feasible tactic to push.

Even when uniformed officers are in formation and moving down the hallways, with a diff set of responders heading right at them, all it takes is for one rifle barrel or pistol being flagged around a corner from either point man or a lone responder in jeans and hoodie who hasn’t linked up yet and joined a formation, fire alarms and sprinklers and strobes likely going off, people screaming and running in every direction, wounded pulling at your pants leg and begging for help as you step over and keep moving towards the threat, it’s chaos, and almost on cue, someone, fearing that rifle barrel, always opens up on him thinking they got the jump on the bad guy and getting snappy with their trigger before even seeing who the person is. That one or two shots then turns into a dozen shots back and forth and they don’t even know who’s who yet. The bad guy’s still shooting 3 hallways away. What’re you gonna do now PL?

Any way I’ve run that scenario with hundreds of students in dozens of classes, it ends up with some friendlies shooting at each other due to lack of discipline and fear, we purposely put those scenarios in there to make them aware of it, and this is only with Simms rounds and they know that, yet they still can’t control the adrenaline and fear to stay off that trigger until ID is made. There’s so many more things that can and do go wrong when running these scenarios. Simply put it’s a shitshow no matter how smoothly you run it or how many times you do it over and over again to work out those things, because each time it will be different. Different people. Different training. Different bad guy(s).

Last edited:
🤣 didn’t they try this in Russia?

All 40 of the insurgents were shot dead when unconscious, and up to 130 hostages died during the siege, including 9 foreigners, due to the toxic substance pumped into the theater.
Hey! My idea was for Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas.) Not the stuff the Commies used... [rofl]

Fentanyl for the WIN!
A study published in 2012 concluded that it had been a mixture of carfentanil and remifentanyl. The same study pointed out that in a 2011 case at the European Court of Human Rights, the Russian government stated that the aerosol used was a mixture of a fentanyl derivative and a chemical compound with a narcotic action.

Active security monitoring all entry and exit points. Maglock doors with central control and manual override. Double door security at entry points. Stop letting the bastards in.
So, Reverse Prison...

What happens when you have a janitor and several teachers in plain clothes, a detective (in plain clothes) who was out getting lunch and the off-duty rookie police yahoo in skinny jeans and a shedium t-shirt who was driving by and is now going in with a truck gun and no radio? And none of them knows who the other is.

Are any or all disciplined enough to hold back and ID each other without opening fire just because they see a male in plain clothes with a gun in his hand, specifically at a call for an active shooter, with no other information or description available of the shooter? Or shooters. Plus 01 rule. Where’s there’s one bad guy you always have to suspect and prepare for the possibility that there’s a second or even third shooter.

I’ve personally run this scenerio dozens of times while teaching the course and friendly fire is always a very large presence and high risk. It’s very difficult when you have numerous people rushing in thru different access doors, all armed, all scared and all amped up, to keep them from shooting each other, but it’s an incredibly important thing to be aware of and to set your mind to.

Gun does not equal bad guy. ID ID ID. You might come around a corner and see an adult male, with his back to you, raising a gun to fire at another adult male or a teenage kid. Which one is the shooter and which one is trying to stop the shooter?

We’ve tried to run it so that any plainclothes officers are trained to stay outside the red zone and assist with casualty collection and setting up a triage point, perimeter security, comms, getting a TOC up and running among other tasks, but it’s just an impossibility to get some people to not go in, it’s just who they are and why they became cops, so that’s not a feasible tactic to push.

Even when uniformed officers are in formation and moving down the hallways, with a diff set of responders heading right at them, all it takes is for one rifle barrel or pistol being flagged around a corner from either point man or a lone responder in jeans and hoodie who hasn’t linked up yet and joined a formation, fire alarms and sprinklers and strobes likely going off, people screaming and running in every direction, wounded pulling at your pants leg and begging for help as you step over and keep moving towards the threat, it’s chaos, and almost on cue, someone, fearing that rifle barrel, always opens up on him thinking they got the jump on the bad guy and getting snappy with their trigger before even seeing who the person is. That one or two shots then turns into a dozen shots back and forth and they don’t even know who’s who yet. The bad guy’s still shooting 3 hallways away. What’re you gonna do now PL?

Any way I’ve run that scenario with hundreds of students in dozens of classes, it ends up with some friendlies shooting at each other due to lack of discipline and fear, we purposely put those scenarios in there to make them aware of it, and this is only with Simms rounds and they know that, yet they still can’t control the adrenaline and fear to stay off that trigger until ID is made. There’s so many more things that can and do go wrong when running these scenarios. Simply put it’s a shitshow no matter how smoothly you run it or how many times you do it over and over again to work out those things, because each time it will be different. Different people. Different training. Different bad guy(s).

These things are in no way simple to conduct in any shape or form or even train for. It may seem easy enough to picture it all in your head, but when you’re actually in it, everything changes.
Great post.

Maybe something like this?
1666802396705.png

How easy it is to scare people and get them to agree to almost anything.

SEALs spent four months rehearsing the Bin Laden op off and on, every stair, doorjam, and cupboard; they hit that compound running and never stopped because they knew every inch of the target.

Then we see what 400 law officers failed to do in Uvalde for having no situational awareness or will to act.

I'm willing to consider a middle ground for the locals with regards to having an idea what they're looking at. Even a cursory understanding of the layout pushes willingness a few notches forward from "unknown" to "doable".

So, Reverse Prison...

How much defense in depth do you think you'd have to go through to gain entry to the West Wing? I lock the doors to our home, have cameras and peepholes; am I imprisoning my kids when we're indoors?

Lock the doors and arm willing teachers. Act like what is inside is worth protecting, because it is.

So, Reverse Prison...
We have that level of entry denial at our embassies and consulates. In any given year, the number of intruder containment situations at all of our diplomatic missions combined is less than the number of school shootings in any given month. A current trend is these school shootings are being done by people that don't even go to the school.

How much defense in depth do you think you'd have to go through to gain entry to the West Wing? I lock the doors to our home, have cameras and peepholes; am I imprisoning my kids when we're indoors?

Lock the doors and arm willing teachers. Act like what is inside is worth protecting, because it is.
It’s sad when you see dirtbag politicians spending upwards of 1M of our money on their own personal security per year, and not a dime of it on our kids security, only pumping money in to teach their communist agenda.

Agreed but most teachers want nothing to do with it. My cousin is a long time teacher in the Sturbridge school system and she told me she’d quit if guns were allowed in school. She was with some friends and they all agreed. I’m sure some would carry but I bet it would be a very low number. But some is better then none in my opinion.

just like Cher, Springsteen, et al, were going to leave the country when OMB got elected. Your cousin is all talk, no action. The senior janitor could be authorized to stroll down the corridors with an SKS strapped across his chest. Your cousin is not giving up her pension or her summer's off work schedule to make a point about anything.

All talk.

Ask her if in an active shooter situation, would she rather see 5 children die before the aforementioned janitor "cleans house", or would she rather see 10 children die before the cops arrive. When she dodges the direct question and says it would be best if the authorities handled it, call her a simpleton, imbecile and moron.

If she doesn't want to carry, that's cool. She knows her limitations.

I can fix it awful quickererer. Next time some a-hole goes a'shootin, you hunt down his mommy and his baby-daddy and beat the ever living tar out of them daily - just enough to NOT kill them - for a year.

This shit started when we stopped holding parents accountable for raising monsters. A bit of fear-of-God in them and those kids will fly right for the rest of eternity.

No more resource officers. No more door locks. No more need to arm teachers. BEAT THEIR ASSES! Self-absorbed people raised weak kids who then had kids and those ones are monsters. Need to nip it in the butt. Or bud. I'd do the butt. I bet it hurts more. (Well, not ME and their butt, just my opinion that any nipping should be in their butts so they learn the lesson quickly. I'll just stop digging now.)

I know my ideas would never be approved, but if I'm ever emperor, gun rights are the second thing I'm doing.

"Qualifies for an LTC"? Isn't that every American citizen? Or at least it should be. Teachers and janitors should be able to arm themselves just because they want to, no permission needed. I'll allow some infringement on the 2A in this instance, though, and allow for permitting children. If a child over 8 can display the required maturity, he / she should be able to have a gun in school with parental approval.

Obviously, not every child. But I've read enough boastful dads on this forum to know that my kids aren't the only ones that are awesome. I'd trust my 11 year old with a loaded shotgun before I'd let a liberal teacher touch an airsoft gun. Even if it's only one kid that is responsible enough in each school - "If it saves just one life, isn't it worth it?"

As I've said before - the bad kids will always be able to pick on the good kids because the good kids can't fight back. Maybe if the chess club shoots a couple Crips, they won't be bullied any longer?

Agreed but most teachers want nothing to do with it. My cousin is a long time teacher in the Sturbridge school system and she told me she’d quit if guns were allowed in school. She was with some friends and they all agreed. I’m sure some would carry but I bet it would be a very low number. But some is better then none in my opinion.

Good. If a teacher is that emotional, maybe she shouldn't be around kids anyway?

just like Cher, Springsteen, et al, were going to leave the country when OMB got elected. Your cousin is all talk, no action. The senior janitor could be authorized to stroll down the corridors with an SKS strapped across his chest. Your cousin is not giving up her pension or her summer's off work schedule to make a point about anything.

All talk.

Ask her if in an active shooter situation, would she rather see 5 children die before the aforementioned janitor "cleans house", or would she rather see 10 children die before the cops arrive. When she dodges the direct question and says it would be best if the authorities handled it, call her a simpleton, imbecile and moron.

If she doesn't want to carry, that's cool. She knows her limitations.

No doubt. She a good teacher, I'll give her that. But her expectations and judgement on some things are just out of context to the situations that can arise. Her friends as well. Though I wouldn't put it past her to up and quit if it came down to it. Who knows as it'll never happen in Mass so no way to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom