Acushnet Ma. LTC renewal

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of difficulty in getting their LTC renewed in the town of Acushnet? It's been 8 months and so far my application has not been sent to the state for processing. I can't even get a call back from the local PD regarding this matter. I'm not sure what I should do.

Welcome.

Please see the thread, towns suspending licensing

Short version: many towns are not processing apps. Some are. No idea as to where yours falls on the spectrum, but if you have the receipt from the State for the renewal's submission before expiration, you should be covered, legally. You might get static at some gun stores, if you can find an open one.

Oh, good luck! Whatever the excuse was before, now it’s going to be, “pandemic!”

In normal times I would have suggested a walk in to the desk to inquire.

Welcome.

Please see the thread, towns suspending licensing

Short version: many towns are not processing apps. Some are. No idea as to where yours falls on the spectrum, but if you have the receipt from the State for the renewal's submission before expiration, you should be covered, legally. You might get static at some gun stores, if you can find an open one.
This process started last May 2019. My town only does application by appt on Tuesdays only. My LTC was set to expire in early August. I couldn't even get a call back. I had to threaten to speak to the chief. I finally received a call and appointment a week before it expired so I'm covered but I'm finding it hard to believe it takes this long to even forward the application to the state.

Eight months delay in submitting a renewal application to the state is outrageous. Your town is listed as green for LTCs. But it sure looks like there's a real slacker somewhere in your PD. At this point, I'd say you're fully justified in contacting the chief and bringing the situation to his attention. I'd try writing him a short, respectful letter. Explain the situation, that you've tried and been unable to get any response from his department. Ask him if he could please look into it and let you know when you should expect some action to be taken. See what happens. If you still don't get any response it's time to start dunning the members of your Board of Selectmen. For what it's worth, that's my 2 cents.

This process started last May 2019. My town only does application by appt on Tuesdays only. My LTC was set to expire in early August. I couldn't even get a call back. I had to threaten to speak to the chief. I finally received a call and appointment a week before it expired so I'm covered but I'm finding it hard to believe it takes this long to even forward the application to the state.
Question:

When you went to the PD, did they process your application on the computer and give you a receipt with the date?

That receipt is valuable.

You should keep a photo on your phone.

At least you can't get jammed up for CCW if you have proof you applied.

Question #2:

Is your LTC still active?

You can go to the FA10 portal and verify your LTC.

You have to enter the LTC# and PIN.

It's called "generate a validation letter" or something.

I'd be curious if you PIN still works on your old (current I should say) LTC.

Regarding your situation:

It's already almost a year. What's 2 more weeks before getting an answer...

Send a polite letter to the chief this week.

Next week, call the chief and ask what is going on.

I realize your rights are being violated here but you don't have leverage.
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
If you are polite, the PD actually might WANT to help you and you'll avoid all the other stuff.

If all that fails, take it to the next level.

Way too long, Mine was due to expire the end of January of this year. Stared the process in November. Got an appointment in Dec. And got my new license in March.

PDs do NOT "send" applications to the state, it is all done on computer and if you have a MIRCS receipt in hand (legally required of PD but ignored by many), that indicates that it was submitted to the state. Go to my sub-forum in training and read the flow chart from FRB on the process. There are many "stops" where the state awaits response from the PD and that is usually where all the delays occur.

Eight months delay in submitting a renewal application to the state is outrageous. Your town is listed as green for LTCs. But it sure looks like there's a real slacker somewhere in your PD. At this point, I'd say you're fully justified in contacting the chief and bringing the situation to his attention. I'd try writing him a short, respectful letter. Explain the situation, that you've tried and been unable to get any response from his department. Ask him if he could please look into it and let you know when you should expect some action to be taken. See what happens. If you still don't get any response it's time to start dunning the members of your Board of Selectmen. For what it's worth, that's my 2 cents.
Agreed.

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of difficulty in getting their LTC renewed in the town of Acushnet? It's been 8 months and so far my application has not been sent to the state for processing. I can't even get a call back from the local PD regarding this matter. I'm not sure what I should do.

Has your check been cashed???

My situation did not go on that long...but here's the story.

A few days before Thanksgiving I went in to pick an application to renew my LTC. I knew I was early, about six weeks before the 90 day to expiration date. I was told that I'd be called in about 6 weeks for my interview...perfect, right?

I got a call 3 DAYS later to come in for my interview...wow, big surprise! I went in interviewed and dropped off my check...great. The officer said it should take 2 months, maybe less for the new LTC to be ready.

After six weeks I noticed that my check had not cleared my account yet. So I called the issuing officer thinking it may have been misfiled due to the proximity to the holidays. I was told to give it another month, sometimes the town was slow to make deposits. If the check still hadn't cleared to call back.

A month later check still hasn't cleared so I called and left a message in the issuing officer's VM. An hour later the officer calls me and apologizes "my fault and I just approved your renewal and sent it to the state, I'll send the check to Town Hall today".

After the interview the check was put into my file and my file was put away before the application was approved. I had a receipt and plenty of time before my current license expired.

My new license was ready for pick up 3 weeks later.

Last time I renewed was in Acushnet.
Took about 1 month from phone call > to schedule appt > to LTC in hand

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I called the station today, front desk sent me to the licensing officers voicemail again. I'll wait a few days. I'll write a very respectful letter to the chief after that . Hopefully, I get a response so i can get this straightened out. Thanks again

Seriously? This is kind of making me sick. I've had my LTC for over thirty years. I moved to Acushnet 5 years ago from Fall River. I never had an issue there.
I don't blame the PD. They had some changes. Chief retiring and other things going on. I think the biggest delay was with the state as usual. Had my LTC in Acushnet for about 40 years and no complaints. If I had any complaint, it was with the Gun Shops that would not transfer a gun to me because the letter the PD gave me until my license came in they said was only for buying ammunition. Idiots!

Acushnet does have a new chief, Christopher Richmond. He took over in January I believe when Alves retired but there was never anything in the news until he was appointed in November so exactly what happened to the old chief is unknown. If he was out on sick leave it's possible that the acting chief wasn't processing applications. I was surprised when I read the article. Christopher Richmond, Acushnet's new police chief, has longstanding town ties

Back
Top Bottom