• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ADCOM M855 ammo

Hey guys,

I was loading up my mags earlier this evening, and came across two boxes of ADCOM 5.56x45 M855 ammo. (Lot No. AML00M010-003, headstamp of "AD 5.56 00") I got about two rounds into loading a mag, when I started to see something wrong with the rounds.
IMG_1182[1].jpg
From left -> right
ADCOM, ADCOM, Federal XM193, ADCOM

Is it just me, or do the rounds look to be pushed too far into the cases? I don't have a micrometer (yet!), so I can only give the rough estimation of the tallest rounds being about 1.5mm higher than the shortest rounds. It also feels like two separate bullet types were used, although they both pass the magnet test for the steel core.

I'm (hopefully) going to be getting into reloading soon -- should I just pull and then reassemble them myself at a later time? They're cosmetically ugly to look at too, lots of primer sealer everywhere.

Thanks for the assistance! All I could find on the forums was that ADCOM sucked on average. [angry]

They're just inconsistent, but they look fine to shoot.

You can tell whatever bullets they're using aren't consistent shapes, or even the same types since the one on the left looks like it doesn't even have a cannular. Thus they have different ogives and this leads to different OAL when loaded if done on the same machine with no changes.

The rounds look fireable BUT, In my opinion, just to be safe..Get a micrometer and measure the diameter of each projectiles and compare the measurements to a 5.56 cartridge which you have used before. The length of the round wouldn't concern me, the diameter would. Just to be safe because the length is visibly inconsistant soooo..... if you blow your gun up... Please do let us know Kyle.
-Dave
[smile]

If you start to inspect any bulk ammo especially mil spec you will find all sorts of inconsistent shit.... especially if it's NATO ammo which if we end up with it IT was most likely rejected lots for one reason or another.
I had bought a bunch of pulled M855 bullets and M80 30 cal bullets. The cannelure or crimp grove was not always in the same spot.

Also would not surprise me one bit if that pointy one with grove showing is 55gn
It can still pass magnet test if it has a steel jacket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom