• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advertisements appearing in posts...

A few days ago after the forum upgrade someone posted wanting to know why he was seeing Google banner ads onscreen. I wasn't seeing it, and I didn't give it a second thought. I just upgraded to Win 7 and I was setting up my browsers, so naturally I went to NES to see how it would look with my new OS. I came across these posts (3 from one thread as examples):

NES_with_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

NES2_with_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

NES3_with_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

In some cases the ad banner was covered by the posts; in others it pushed the post off to the side. Most of the ads were gun or firearm-related, but not all. I thought at first that my PC had picked up some adware bug, so I cleared cookies and ran scans. The problem persisted. I was stumped as to what was going on, and I thought the server hosting NES might be generating these. After a little more investigating it dawned on me that I was browsing NES as a guest and wasn't logged in. I logged in and checked the same three posts in that thread. Here's what I saw when I was logged in:

NES_with_no_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

NES2_with_no_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

NES3_with_no_ad%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

Once I logged in, the ads were gone! [smile] I don't know if the ads appear for registered users or just guests, and I don't know how or where they're being generated. I just figured I'd pass the info along in case anyone else was experiencing this.

Derek, it appears like there's another reason for GOING GREEN! NO ADS! [laugh]

The adds do not show for supporting members.

Thanks for the info. Another reason to join! [grin]

(Derek, if my post stepped on anyone's toes, please delete it. I was just trying to answer the original poster's question. My search powers must be weak today, or I would have posted as a follow-up to his question but I couldn't find his post.)

Now that I've got the screen resolutions and display sizes squared away the forum is looking much better. Some nice features. I like how I can access my PM folders from the settings page. I'd still like to be able to adjust the forum style to give more contrast. I can go to a higher contrast on my PC, but then it's too glaring for other work and I have to keep switching it back and forth. If it happens, fine; if not I can live with it.

Have you been getting much sleep the last few day? [wink]

EDIT: Oh, Hell, I just found your explanation of the ads in the New Look Mega-Thread. Sorry for the extra work in responding to this. [sad]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom