Advice on setting up a Do it yourself Training course

Hello all,
I have a group of firearm enthusiasts that range in experience from beginners to expert shooters. We plan to set up a series of range day outings, with training in firearm safety, defensive handgun, and some drills.

Has anyone ever setup their own training curriculum before? If so would be great to get some pointers from you.

I have already consulted NRA training materials, etc. Was more interested in hearing from folks that may have done such initiatives themselves.

Thanks in advance

Do you have a location for the training to be conducted in?

Yes, we have a few options but haven't chosen a final location (but also open to any suggestions)

- - - Updated - - -

Are you going to be doing the teaching? What teaching experience and training do you have?

We plan to create an agenda of courses and bring in an experienced instructor for each (will be shopping around for affordable instructors over the upcoming week or so)

This subject has been on my mind lately. I feel I would be fatally unprepared should a civil unrest situation arise, as a result of an extreme weather event for example.

This subject has been on my mind lately. I feel I would be fatally unprepared should a civil unrest situation arise, as a result of an extreme weather event for example.

Same with us, and the problem is a lot of these commercially sponsored courses are quite expensive and don't really delve into practical situations, or are dumbed down because of insurance regulations etc. That's not to say anyone should forego safety concerns in any way, but some sense of community can be brought into training courses and that's what the group I'm involved with wants to pursue.

A couple things come to mind
-Shooting/deploying from a vehicle
-Shooting while moving
-Shooting from odd positions
-Shooting in the dark
-Clearing malfunctions during shooting
-Wringing out the actual gear you have and use
-reloads from pockets/mag pouches on stocks,
-EDC draws,
-how everyday clothing [business, shorts, winter] effects your shooting

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
-Shooting while moving
-Shooting in the dark
-EDC draws,

Thanks, good suggestions!

-Shooting while moving
-Shooting in the dark
-EDC draws,

Most of those are exercises that I would not try to teach to beginners.

Take a few classes from established instructors (Kyle Lamb, Dave Harrington, Magpul Dynamics) and base your curriculum on theirs as well as on solid fundamentals.

Back
Top Bottom