• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

advice on shoulder harness

Looking for advice on shoulder rigs. I have a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 with 5" barrel. I shoot right handed but want the holster on the left side for a cross draw application with a double mag holster on right side. But some of the ones I seen online have that setup but the pistol sits grips down. I need a grip up position as the gun is too big for a level set holster and grip end sticks out too far. has to be leather. For twenty years I carried holster on my belt, right side but last night I had a double mag pouch on left and gun on the right as I normally do. And all the weight was too much , had to crank my belt so tight that it was uncomfortable. I have carried 9mm's for 20 years, this is my first 45. I absolutely love the gun but I need a shoulder rig for carrying. Any advice on this is appreciated very much.

Shoulder holsters are usually described as horizontal (gun barrel is horizontal, pointed behind you) or vertical (gun barrel is vertical, usually pointing down).

I’ve never used one, so I can’t recommend a particular brand.

A Triple K shoulder holster is a good option for what you are looking for. There are a few different types depending on specifics you like, but overall they're a good quality holster that will hold up.

I have the galco miami classic ii. Getting tie downs for both sides to link to your belt is also critical in my opinion so that it does not flop about when you "tilt". Works great and is very comfortable. I use it under a sports cost/suit jacket. I usually use a 3" or 4.25" 1911 and not the 5"

note the two snaps on the magazine pouches. Large cap and small (14 round 45 or 7)

KA1-VR KOZA
  • KOZA Vertical Shoulder holster Made from Premium Genuine Leather. Hand-made molding for a perfect fit. Double magazine carrier. Can be attached to the belt both from the holster and magazine carrier for a more comfortable pistol carrying experience.
Price: $139.85 & FREE Shipping

shoulder.jpg

I have the galco miami classic ii. Getting tie downs for both sides to link to your belt is also critical in my opinion so that it does not flop about when you "tilt". Works great and is very comfortable. I use it under a sports cost/suit jacket. I usually use a 3" or 4.25" 1911 and not the 5"

I have the same holster for most of my full size guns, and I don't like the tie downs. I was using them and was unhappy with them yanking my belt up when I moved in certain positions. I found a video, produced by Galco, about the proper way to size the holster, and they recommended you cinch the gun and mag pouches waay up, as close to your armpit as you can. No tie downs.
I found this much more comfortable. It didnt pull at my neck or give me a wedgie. It also keeps the grip just a little closer and makes your draw a little faster. I will try to find the video.
I carry all my full size 1911's and all my P series Sigs in shoulder rigs. Two holsters work great for 9 guns.

This is not the video I watched, but a more recent version. Check it out. It will change the way you wear your shoulder rig. Fast forward to about 4:30 and take a look at where the gun sits. The gun does not flop around at all, and at the end of the day, your neck is not aching from being pulled on. It also allows the best range of motion, and I will even wear it doing yard work, on the lawn tractor etc.
I am a pretty big guy and I can conceal a full size 1911 under a short sleeved button down in hot weather. Just wear it unbuttoned over a t-shirt.

I like the Miami Classic II rig, and like the mag carrier horizontal as well as the gun, but you might like the Jackass rig or Vertical Holster system. You can also change the mag carrier because the system is modular.
Optics planet had the best price when I bought my 3 rigs. Just copy the model number of the Galco site and paste it into the OP search box.

Shoulder Holster Systems | Galco Gunleather.

This is a 1940's 1911 shoulder holster I found at one of the local gun shops for $10. It was made and patented by W.F. Ohlemeyer, who after making his own holsters, went to work for El Paso Saddlery.

The gun is held muzzle-down while carried, then the thumb strap is released and the gun can either be drawn straight up, or can be tilted forward to draw horizontally. It's really a genius design, and was copied by some other maker once Ohlemeyer's patent expired. No, it's not for sale, sorry. ;)

ohlie.jpg

1911shoulderHolster 003.jpg

New member here and this is my first post!

I just got a Sig P226 SAO Legion and want to use a should holster system. Was looking at the Miami classic by galco but they say they don't do any SAO models. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

The Galco Jackass Shoulder Holster was the only one that I found comfortable and didn't dig in under the armpit.

I just got a Sig P226 SAO Legion and want to use a should holster system. Was looking at the Miami classic by galco but they say they don't do any SAO models. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Don’t shoulder carry. Sorry, that’s all I got.

Thanks in advance!
Are you experienced at carrying a firearm otherwise? Shoulder rigs, besides the old school cool factor, have downsides to them as well, you should do plenty of research before forking over 150.00+ easily for your first holster. Horizontal vs Vertical, safety issues, reholstering issues, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to NES.
The Miami Classic for the DA/SA is the same as the SAO 226. The guns are identical, just a different trigger pull. More good news... the holster will also work perfectly for the 229 and the 220. Ask me how I know.
Which was great to discover when I bought my 229.

Congrats on the new gun. It is a fine firearm and will serve you for years if you decide to keep it.
My first gun was technically, a Sig 226 in .40. I say technically because I bought a S&W 686- 4" too, but they rang up the Sig first. I rented both 40 and 9mm before I decided what to buy, and went with .40 because a gun that big soaks up recoil really well, I am old school and believe that your defensive handgun should start with a "4" if possible, I have big hands, and I am not a pussy.
I shot my 226 every weekday, for almost a year. I love that gun and it puts bullets where I want them. I will never sell it or my 686.
I picked up a 229 a month or so later, and a 220 soon thereafter. I like the P series platform a lot.

Hope you stick around the forum.

The Miami Classic for the DA/SA is the same as the SAO 226. The guns are identical, just a different trigger pull.
Does that holster fit both types of carry? DA vs SAO I would think requires a slightly different length retaining strap between hammer down and SAO.

☎️ **ring, ring**
The 80’s called and wants their holster back…

☎️ **ring, ring**

:Hello?

:This is Kydex calling…have you heard of me?

So, what are you saying? [laugh]

10958.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for Galco. I picked up a S&W front break verticle shoulder holster but the harness was never comfortable. I bought a Galco shoulder rig without a holster and married the two. I've worn that for more than 30 years. It even works fine with my P-14. Note the two snaps on the magazine pouches. Large cap and small cap.

galco.jpg

when i carry a big boy pistol using a belt rig, i deploy suspenders, also known as braces, to combat the weight of the gun pulling my pants down. i own numerous shoulder rigs with an old bianchi as my favored one cause at one time they made the rig in modules so you could taylor it to your own needs. alas, being a "big boi" myself, the harness felt like i had a bra on so out came the suspenders and low riding pants and cinched belts became a moot point.

Does that holster fit both types of carry? DA vs SAO I would think requires a slightly different length retaining strap between hammer down and SAO.
Yes, it's just a little easier to close when SAO
☎️ **ring, ring**
The 80’s called and wants their holster back…

☎️ **ring, ring**

:Hello?

:This is Kydex calling…have you heard of me?
I prefer leather over Kydex for preserving the guns finish. My EDC is kydex but I have resigned myself to the notion that the finish on my 365 will suffer.
Shoulder holsters have been around for a long long time, and is always worn under a cover garment. Skip the Don Johnson jacket and loafers and you will fit in just fine, even in today's day and age.
For me, a shoulder rig is the best way to carry a full size, heavy gun. Dirty Harry wasn't toting that 29 around all day IWB. YMMV

I ordered a Galco Classic Lite last year during for my G19. I just can’t get it to fit comfortably. Having a gun under your armpit just felt weird. The straps up at the neck area always seemed to be visible. I don’t wear a suit/sport coat, I wanted it for carry when I was wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt. It didn’t work for me.

I picked up a Classic Lite during the covids for a G45, fits fine, very lightweight, shoulder strap adjustments take some getting used to for sizing and making mental adjustments for clothing but once locked in can be pretty comfortable.

I also have this one for my G43, combo Kydex and Galco leather straps and love it.
00C8F130-FC67-4963-9539-D1D06A13113B.jpeg

For me both are easily concealable under a baggy flannel, zip up hoodie or light jacket. If my lower back or sciatica is acting up it’s difficult to wear IWB sometimes just due to pressure and pain constantly pushing on the nerves, so these work well to counter that, and also best for vacation driving/long road trips to get all that pressure off your waist and back as well as not messing up leather car seats w/belt clips and hard steel moving around on soft car leather.

The biggest downside to me for shoulder rigs is that you can’t re-holster without using both hands. There are times where you may need to draw your pistol, and then the situation changes whether slowly or very quickly and hands on may be needed. Having to stop and use both hands is bad in these instances but they should be very few and far between, just something to keep in mind, and may require shoving the pistol into the back of your waistband to secure it if hands on are needed.

+1 for the Miami Jackass rig. Love it and it's modular so you can get different holsters for it if you carry different models at different times.

Welcome to NES.
The Miami Classic for the DA/SA is the same as the SAO 226. The guns are identical, just a different trigger pull. More good news... the holster will also work perfectly for the 229 and the 220. Ask me how I know.
Which was great to discover when I bought my 229.

Congrats on the new gun. It is a fine firearm and will serve you for years if you decide to keep it.
My first gun was technically, a Sig 226 in .40. I say technically because I bought a S&W 686- 4" too, but they rang up the Sig first. I rented both 40 and 9mm before I decided what to buy, and went with .40 because a gun that big soaks up recoil really well, I am old school and believe that your defensive handgun should start with a "4" if possible, I have big hands, and I am not a pussy.
I shot my 226 every weekday, for almost a year. I love that gun and it puts bullets where I want them. I will never sell it or my 686.
I picked up a 229 a month or so later, and a 220 soon thereafter. I like the P series platform a lot.

Hope you stick around the forum.
Thanks for the feedback! The 226 is fantastic and a keeper. And, this forum has been great. Everyone is willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom