• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Affordable 1911s that aren't trash

How did this thread about reliable budget 1911s turn around to Greg Derr?

I mean... yeah, I drool over his work too, but if I could afford one of his I wouldn't carry it.

You could buy a Girsan/RIA/Springfield/Ruger and enough ammo to completely wear it out for the price of breathing on a Derr Precision pistol.

I actually just contacted Greg Derr about a 1911 and his "base model" starts at $6k. That just seems ridiculous. How . I am willing to spend 4k maybe 5k.
A Greg Derr is priced just like any other work of art. They are absolutely unique, one of a kind items that are made to specifically reflect the buyer's personality. If you compare his price to say a custom Holland&Holland 'Royal' side by side at £120,000 ($138,753.60 at todays rate), it's positively cheap. And the 'Royal' isn't even as unique as a bespoke 1911 from Greg Derr.

Had my hands on a plain jane GI Auto Ordnance recently. Pretty solid. They owner said was about $600. Not sure when he bought.
My buddy bought one and he is an abusive type. Doubt hes even oiled it in 3 years. I like it it because its about as close to a 1911 there is for a low price.
I have SW 1911s no issues even with some soft shooting 180 gn lead SWC ….

I'm interested in getting my first 1911. Maybe 9mm maybe 45. Pretty ignorant on thia platform of handgun.

Wondering what the word is on decent 1911s that aren't crap. I've heard some of the Rock Island Armory and foreign mafe ones are questionable. How about the Springfield Armory Garrison series? Seems like a traditionally styled 1911 with modern sights.

I'd like a good, reliable gun that isn't an uber expensive handmade competition gun but not something crap that isn't "Shtf-able" ready.

Any advice is appreciated.
If you want a 1911 find something as close to a WWII design as possible if you go for the less expensive models ( any model really) put some money into good magazines.

If your picky about your gun sights be wary of that when looking. Not all 1911 sights can be easily modified or replaced. If you start getting slides cut for sights your already loosing vs buying something with sights you like.

My last thoughts, get a 45 acp and run goid old 230 grain RN ball ammo. You should have very little problems if the thing was machined and assembled correctly.

A Greg Derr is priced just like any other work of art. They are absolutely unique, one of a kind items that are made to specifically reflect the buyer's personality. If you compare his price to say a custom Holland&Holland 'Royal' side by side at £120,000 ($138,753.60 at todays rate), it's positively cheap. And the 'Royal' isn't even as unique as a bespoke 1911 from Greg Derr.
I have used greg derr , handled one of his custom 1911s …..yes they shoot wonderfully and stupid smooth !
His prices are reflective to the details. I have caught him at times to do non 1911 work, more thsn pleased with his prices and not as expensive as some quoted me.
I hope Derr has an apprentice, nit so much for 1911s but to pass on those skills and professionalism.

DW Heritage vs Colt GCNM? How is Colts qa lately?

I like the basic government model, blued, no rails, no forward slide serrations, non-skeletonized trigger look with decent sights. Basically a blued Razorback in 45acp.

For me, Colt fits the bill esthetically better than DW but I'm thinking DW quality is better?

DW Heritage vs Colt GCNM? How is Colts qa lately?

I like the basic government model, blued, no rails, no forward slide serrations, non-skeletonized trigger look with decent sights. Basically a blued Razorback in 45acp.

For me, Colt fits the bill esthetically better than DW but I'm thinking DW quality is better?

You summed up my thoughts. Colt for history and looks, but DW for quality. What about an older DW Valor? I think that’s the sweet spot

I mean... yeah, I drool over his work too, but if I could afford one of his I wouldn't carry it.
Oh I would carry it. And shoot it often.
Once I get the kids through college.... It is on my "to do list"
It is in sight. Oldest graduated UMiami and is doing great.
Middle Kid graduates this spring, then off to law school.
Youngest is a Sophomore.
Hope to be done before Greg retires.

Oh I would carry it. And shoot it often.
Once I get the kids through college.... It is on my "to do list"
It is in sight. Oldest graduated UMiami and is doing great.
Middle Kid graduates this spring, then off to law school.
Youngest is a Sophomore.
Hope to be done before Greg retires.
Lots of things are on my list if I had FU money.

Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging along with my Citadel 1911 and my Taurus .380 TCP.

Back
Top Bottom