After messing with the trigger, load just a single round

M1911

NES Member
I knew this, but I neglected it and it could have gotten ugly. I put a drop-in match trigger in a semi-auto pistol. When I got to the range, I loaded up 5 rounds in a magazine. It appeared to be doubling. That was more exciting than I wished.

Upon further experimentation very close to the berm, it became clear that the gun was firing when I pulled the trigger and then again when I released the trigger.

I think I have it adjusted correctly now, but when I head back to the range tomorrow, I will start with one round only. Once I’m confident it is working with one round, then I will load two and repeat.

Last edited:
Also, tonight I’m going to open up my Glock book and do a full safety test (which I should have done after I installed the trigger). Tomorrow when I test with live fire I will be just a few feet from the berm.

I knew this, but I neglected it and it could have gotten ugly. I put a drop-in match trigger in a semi-auto pistol. When I got to the range, I loaded up 5 rounds in a magazine. It appeared to be doubling. That was more exciting than I wished.

Upon further experimentation very close to the berm, it became clear that the gun was firing when I pulled the trigger and then again when I released the trigger.

I think I have it adjusted correctly now, but when I head back to the range tomorrow, I will start with one round only. Once I’m confident it is working with one round, then I will load two and repeat.
Well I’ve never seen a binary install on a glock before. Switches? Yes.

OP is going to jail...Glock 18 conversion kit ;-)

Seriously, what brand trigger produced these results...I would think that's hard to do in a glock by accident.

Load one to see if it goes "Bang"
then
Load two to see if it goes "Bang.....Bang", not "BangBang"

I do this with every new to me semi, after I loaded 10 in my SKS and had a run away slam fire because of my improper cleaning of the cosmoline in the firing pin chamber

Unless you load two rounds, how will you know if it still has a problem?
Load one. If it is all good, then load two. If it is all good, repeat, then load 5.

I would have seen this with one round, as the striker was falling when I released the trigger after the slide cycled.

OP is going to jail...Glock 18 conversion kit ;-)

Seriously, what brand trigger produced these results...I would think that's hard to do in a glock by accident.
I’m not going to blame the trigger company. I installed this in a very old gen 2.5 Glock 34 that has had many thousands of rounds through it. I did not perform a proper safety check after installing the trigger, so that is my fault. Tolerance stacking is a thing.

I emailed the company yesterday (a Saturday). The owner replied within an hour with a link to a video showing me the adjustment process.

I didn’t post this to criticize the brand — I think their response has been excellent.

Whole unit.
A friend warned me about what you experienced many years ago. Can happen with very worn factory parts, too. Simple test is to dry fire, keep the trigger back, and run the slide. Then release the trigger. No range time necessary.

A friend warned me about what you experienced many years ago. Can happen with very worn factory parts, too. Simple test is to dry fire, keep the trigger back, and run the slide. Then release the trigger. No range time necessary.
That's the first test to do -- it's necessary but not sufficient. Still worth testing on the range as I've had failures with guns that passed such tests.

Back
Top Bottom