• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After thousands of rounds I think I figured it out- grip vs trigger

I can't believe it... I feel like such an idiot. I've spent the last year shooting thousands of rounds and although I've got better I've had a tendancy to shoot lower left or left on all my guns. I've tried and tried to make sure I pulled my trigger back as straight as possible as I was pretty sure this was the cause. Slow fire is not too bad but when firing fast I still have the tendancy to push the rounds low and left. :(

Well today with my new G19 I decided to try something new. When the first box went low and left I decided to try something. I decided to move the gun so I had my index finger's pad squarely on the trigger and made sure the rest of the finger wasn't rubbing against the frame. Now I have small hands so this meant I didn't have perfect grip- my hand was rotated so that the barrel didn't line up with my arm. Oh My God!!! Finally all my rounds were centered are grouped well together!!!

Unfriggin believable... how did I miss this? I'm so excited I had to share this.

Last edited:
Lugnut said:
I can't believe it... I feel like such an idiot. I've spent the last year shooting thousands of rounds and although I've got better I've had a tendancy to shoot lower left or left on all my guns. I've tried and tried to make sure I pulled my trigger back as straight as possible as I was pretty sure this was the cause. Slow fire is not too bad but when firing fast I still have the tendancy to push the rounds low and left. :(

Well today with my new G19 I decided to try something new. When the first box went low and left I decided to try something. I decided to move the gun so I had my index finger's pad squarely on the trigger and made sure the rest of the finger wasn't rubbing against the frame. Now I have small hands so this meant I didn't have perfect grip- my hand was rotated so that the barrel didn't line up with my arm. Oh My God!!! Finally all my rounds were centered are grouped well together!!!

Unfriggin believable... how did I miss this? I'm so excited I had to share this.

I'm going to have to pay attention to this next time I'm at the range.

Lugnut said:
I've seen it before.. he's unbelievable. All excellent points... however I have to compromise the proper grip to get good trigger finger postioning... my hands/fingers are small. :(

That is not really the case. Your grip is too big. Wrong grip or gun for your hand.

Shooting USA pro tips are another good source.

Regards,

I agree that the grip or gun is not right for you. Can you change or modify
the grip. If it cannot be modified or changed out you may have a pistol that
does not fit you hand and will be difficult to shoot. I shot bullseye for the first time last year. I didn't even own a pistol. I have a rugher mkIII, i took
of the grips that came with it and bought some plastic (forget the name)
anyway they were a waste of $40, bought a custom grip and had to modify
it with a file, sandpaper etc. I also need to use some epoxy putty to make
some adjustments where there are voids.

My 2c,

JimB

A dremel tool is great for making little adjustments to rubber grips. (Freeze them before you start grinding/sanding.)

JimB said:
I agree that the grip or gun is not right for you.
JimB

I agree to an extent. The Sig 239 probably is the best for me but I just can't limit my gun choices to sub compact guns. The G26 grip is large for a sub compact and is the same size as the G19 (although the G26 grip is shorter). I realize the importance of proper gun selection but I like a variety.

Lugnut said:
I agree to an extent. The Sig 239 probably is the best for me but I just can't limit my gun choices to sub compact guns. The G26 grip is large for a sub compact and is the same size as the G19 (although the G26 grip is shorter). I realize the importance of proper gun selection but I like a variety.

If you wish to stick with a semi auto, you need to try single stack rather than double stack. Try a 9MM 1911 as an example. The grip will be thinner and more fitting to your hand like the Sig 239.

If the G19 is what you have your heart set on, try talking to the Robar people about grip modification. ROBAR Glock reduction

They do a great job.

Regards,

Round Gun Shooter said:
If you wish to stick with a semi auto, you need to try single stack rather than double stack. Try a 9MM 1911 as an example. The grip will be thinner and more fitting to your hand like the Sig 239.

If the G19 is what you have your heart set on, try talking to the Robar people about grip modification. ROBAR Glock reduction

They do a great job.

Regards,

Thanks for the ideas.

Wrt the 1911... it's on my list. [grin] The S&W 1911 I looked at was certainly thinner than a double stack.. however the distance from the trigger and backstrap is the real issue. I've never seen a 9mm 1911.

Interesting website. Not sure about the grip reduction.

Now I have small hands so this meant I didn't have perfect grip- my hand was rotated so that the barrel didn't line up with my arm.
That's one of the main problems with Glocks. The grip is too big. If Glock had used steel magazines, then the magazine sidewalls would have been significantly thinner. This would have made the magazine circumference smaller. Then the grip circumference could have been smaller. And as a result, the gun would have fit more hands.

I agree with many of the suggestions above. Consider a single-stack gun or getting a grip reduction done on the Glock.

Another important thing to be aware of when shooting is to NOT tighten your grip as you pull the trigger. If you do tighten your grip as you pull the trigger, you'll probably shoot low. Keep a consistent grip as you shoot.

Back
Top Bottom