Aftermarket guide rod for EC9s

The guide rod for my EC9 looks like it’s already a bit bent and I heard that this is a common problem amongst EC9 and LC9 models. I found out Galloway precision makes a thicker after market guide rod but I’m not sure if they’re legit, does anyone have experience with the surefeed guide rod and/or Galloway precision?

does the pistol have cycling issues? Is the guide rod peening against the slide? If neither I wouldn’t worry about a bent guide rod. It’s purpose is simply to hold the spring in place it doesnt guide the slide anywhere. If it’s having functioning problems then Id let Ruger repair it.

I have one on order as an upgrade for a new EC9s I just picked up. It is not damaged, but it is a good serviceable upgrade.
After researching the Galloway Precision Captured guide rod assy, it is well received and well approved.
Galloway uses ISML springs, which I have very good experience with my Glocks...
They are on sale (12% off) currently.
I went with the 19-lbs. spring.
1666152212184.png

Here's what they (OEM) look like bent...
Research on Google says the rod tip breaks off, locking up the slide.

1666153056090.png

I have one on order as an upgrade for a new EC9s I just picked up. It is not damaged, but it is a good serviceable upgrade.
After researching the Galloway Precision Captured guide rod assy, it is well received and well approved.
Galloway uses ISML springs, which I have very good experience with my Glocks...
They are on sale (12% off) currently.
I went with the 19-lbs.
Yep, ended up buying the 17lb myself a few days later. Makes the slide feel and sound a lot smoother when racking. Well worth the money, I only have about 100 rounds through it but it’s looking pretty good so far. No wear or anything but I ordered the stainless.

The guide rod for my EC9 looks like it’s already a bit bent and I heard that this is a common problem amongst EC9 and LC9 models. I found out Galloway precision makes a thicker after market guide rod but I’m not sure if they’re legit, does anyone have experience with the surefeed guide rod and/or Galloway precision?
Galloway is a great company and makes really good stuff. I have used their products for close to ten years.

Yep, ended up buying the 17lb myself a few days later. Makes the slide feel and sound a lot smoother when racking. Well worth the money, I only have about 100 rounds through it but it’s looking pretty good so far. No wear or anything but I ordered the stainless.
When I look at the complexity of the stock guide rod assy I shake my head. Thing is overly designed and under stress tested in development.
The Galloway is like, what 4 parts? A mainspring a stainless-steel rod a washer and a screw? If that thing undergoes enough pressure to snap... You are in bigger troubles than guide rod failure...

One of the benefits of this rod assy is its improved-feed of ammunition. Some complaints had been that the stock assy could cause feeding problems that were completely eliminated with the Galloway "Sure Feed" rod assy.

Thanks for your reply,
~Enbloc

Galloway also makes "all-metal" guide rod assy styles like the newer Glocks that use the shorter, dual spring captured types...
No polymer to break/fail in the Galloways...

1666193880320.png1666194122656.png

With the new guide rod assy installed, I went to the range and it performed perfectly.
It racks and operates much more smoothly than the OEM dual-spring guide rod assy which had a "stacking" feel when racking the slide.
Very happy with it...

My practice LC9s has several thousand rounds through it. I have no idea how many. Never looked to see if the guide rod was bent. Not really worried about it failing on account of being bent, but I ordered a couple of guide rod assemblies, if only because the one is going to need replacing before very long, I would imagine.

My practice LC9s has several thousand rounds through it. I have no idea how many. Never looked to see if the guide rod was bent. Not really worried about it failing on account of being bent, but I ordered a couple of guide rod assemblies, if only because the one is going to need replacing before very long, I would imagine.
What kind of guide rod assemblies? OEM or Galloway? Also yes, some of them will go forever without a single problem and some of them will bend after a few thousand rounds, I’ve found it’s really a quality control issue since it’s produced in large volumes but you can’t really complain about QC on a sub $300 pocket pistol I suppose.

With the new guide rod assy installed, I went to the range and it performed perfectly.
It racks and operates much more smoothly than the OEM dual-spring guide rod assy which had a "stacking" feel when racking the slide.
Very happy with it...
Glad to hear it, did you go with the black or the stainless?

Glad to hear it, did you go with the black or the stainless?
I went with the black end. The shaft is still Stainless in the white. I was a little taken aback at first though.
The photos on their website show a screw. What I received was some type of interference-fit plug. It is in there pretty good though and I can't move or turn it at all.
In my experience with ISMI replacement guide rod assys. you need to Loctite the screw to keep it from backing out. This does not look like that can happen...
I'm sure if it does come out and go flying to parts unknown, they will replace it.

Did yours come with a screw or a plug?

What kind of guide rod assemblies? OEM or Galloway? Also yes, some of them will go forever without a single problem and some of them will bend after a few thousand rounds, I’ve found it’s really a quality control issue since it’s produced in large volumes but you can’t really complain about QC on a sub $300 pocket pistol I suppose.
It is probably a heat-treating issue or materials issue. It looks well-enough made, but that thin, round rod attached to the spring-cone tip is the weak link...

For the $38 bucks, it really is a great upgrade...

The Ruger EC9s was really surprising in its accuracy, ease of use and build quality.
I own a half-dozen Glocks and this diminutive pistol is beating them all out at the moment...

Last edited:
Galloway. My original isn't bent. I don't think Ruger distributes their OEM guide rod assemblies for sale. If I'm going to wear out a spring, I guess their SOP is to ship me a new one after the original one breaks. I'd rather never see the failure in the first place. I'm only going to install one on my practice gun for now. My other one has only seen a few hundred rounds.

I've been having a great time shooting this little gem. I bought it for $200 bucks and it came with a second Ruger 7-round magazine.
Seller only put "2 magazines through it" and it looked like it. Brand new in my opinion.

I did do one other mod to it after swapping in the new Galloway Guide Rod assy. I removed the magazine disconnect assy.
What an improvement! The trigger feels so much smoother and easier to pull. I looked closely at the mechanism, and it looked like the trigger dragged slightly
against the stainless steel tab meant to block the trigger when a magazine is not present. This gave the trigger a "stacking" feel that I was not happy with.

Mechanically speaking, removing the mag-disconnector does not affect any other components of the fire-control group and many, many guns I own do not have
them either. Which I like.

I saved all the parts removed and can/will reinstall them if it ever needs to be sent back to Prescott, AZ for warranty work...

1666646623670.png

I never even thought of doing this. Are there instructions somewhere, or will it just be obvious when I take a closer look?
No, it's a little complicated. There is one video that is a much easier way than all the others show. It allows for the disconnector plate to be removed without removing the trigger-safety pin from being removed. It is eons faster... and better in my opinion.

Wait one, and I'll find it...

This is the video, and it shows the best way to do it in my opinion. Here he is doing it on an LC9, but except for the hammer spring (the EC9s is striker-fired and has no hammer spring) it is removed the same way.

Notes:
1) The metal disconnector is "dovetailed" and in a slot on the fire-control group (FCG) housing, and trigger must come out.
2) The trigger spring pin access hole (shown in the video) was not the way I did it (remove the pin)
3} I used a magnetic-tip pocket screwdriver and "pulled" the pin from the top after lining up the hole. Literally took half a second this way.
A way that I could not find anywhere else, and feel I may have innovated this method. [smile]
4) There are a few tiny springs that can go flying when you are working on the FCG, and I found it best to remove them first; working inside a gallon-size freezer bag
to catch jettisoned parts/springs.
5) Video author calls the magazine-disconnector a "PIN" a few times, but clearly it is a spring.
6) The entire video is useful, and should be watched in its entirety. Except for the hammer-spring it is identical mechanically.

I've started the video at the mag-disconnector removal part for a quicker determination if you want to do it...

Mag-tip pocket screwdriver. The longer the magnet the better.

1666649494046.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom