agonizing about mos for a glock

greencobra

NES Member
here i go again, sweating the small shit. i don't currently own a pistol with the mos cut on the slide. so i don't want to have one cut, i could put the machining fee towards a better optic. thinking about an optic plate that slides into the rear sight dovetail. the only 2 cons i can think of is 1., the sight dovetail mount is kinda lame and 2., now i don't have a rear sight to co-witness if the optic goes down. i want to top this off with a holosun optic. which one? haven't researched that deep yet. i'll put it on one of my baby glocks or 19.

i agonize over this stuff wondering if i'm doing a dis-service to myself and the gun by not getting the slide cut or just buy one done already. what mos sights are a good alternative to the holosun. just throwing it up so someone maybe would like to comment. what are you all running for mos if you have one. anyone doing the sight dovetail thing? asking aloud is all.

Not familiar with dove tail mounted sights. I have a Gen 5 model 20 MOS with a Holosun SCS-MOS. It mounts directly on the slide in the MOS cut so no need for adapter and it sits low enough that the stock sights are clearly visible through the optic.

here i go again, sweating the small shit. i don't currently own a pistol with the mos cut on the slide. so i don't want to have one cut, i could put the machining fee towards a better optic. thinking about an optic plate that slides into the rear sight dovetail. the only 2 cons i can think of is 1., the sight dovetail mount is kinda lame and 2., now i don't have a rear sight to co-witness if the optic goes down. i want to top this off with a holosun optic. which one? haven't researched that deep yet. i'll put it on one of my baby glocks or 19.

i agonize over this stuff wondering if i'm doing a dis-service to myself and the gun by not getting the slide cut or just buy one done already. what mos sights are a good alternative to the holosun. just throwing it up so someone maybe would like to comment. what are you all running for mos if you have one. anyone doing the sight dovetail thing? asking aloud is all.
Order an optic ready slide.
Use current slide for new Glock build.

See, that is how the Glock reproduction biology works. Every piece you take from one becomes a new Glock.

Order an optic ready slide.
Use current slide for new Glock build.

See, that is how the Glock reproduction biology works. Every piece you take from one becomes a new Glock.
This is the way. Just order a custom slide for the gun you want it on. Then you’ll be forced to get another lower, then another slide, etc….

what is the purpose of the gun? The answer differs slightly depending on the primary function, range toy, Competition, EDC, home defense.

In all of the above cases, skip the dove tail mounted plate. It’s only function would be if you wanted to see what a dot is like. If you already know you want an optic, put that $50 towards the milling or MOS gun.

Got a G17 Gen 4 ?

I happen to have an MOS complete upper for sale here in the classifieds.

Skip the rear dovetail. It sucks. Up too high and not strong enough. Either get your slide cut or order an optic ready slide from Brownells.
+1. I got a Brownells RMR cut slide for my G34. When this was on seemingly infinite backorder I did order a dovetail plate, but I never even took it out of the packaging.

Dovetail plates are a compromise.

you misspelled "crap".

OP - either get an MOS slide, or get your slide milled. Quit trying to skinflint.

I have four Glocks with dots on them, (plus a couple of .22 semis, and a couple of revolvers). Three of the four Glocks have the slide milled, one has an adapter plate. Trijicons on all of them, (2) RMRs and (2) SROs. The only reason I didn't have all four slides milled is that I need to use an adapter plate to keep it legal for MOS class in GSSF competition. I knew when I had them milled that I was mounting and keeping Trijicons on them. If you don't know what optic you're going to end up with, then get an MOS model and use adapter plate(s).

If the gun's a range toy, then don't worry about co-witnessed sights, if it's a defensive weapon, then you probably ought to have them just in case.

I'll give ya the other two but....more reliable ? Really ?
Yeah. I had a fair bit of unreliability with my Gen 4 19. Failures to feed on the last round of the magazine. Happened across multiple mags, I replaced followers and springs. The gen 5 has been rock solid. YMMV.

Last edited:
I keep hearing a bunch of crap about GEN 4.
If I was looking for a new GLOCK, I would skip GEN 4.

I keep hearing a bunch of crap about GEN 4.
If I was looking for a new GLOCK, I would skip GEN 4.
Hmmm

I’ve got seven of them, no issues. (2) 43, (2) 17, 31, 34, 41.

I think my 43x and 48 are considered gen 5, no issues with them either.

Forgot about the 44, no idea how that’s classed.

Hmmm

I’ve got seven of them, no issues. (2) 43, (2) 17, 31, 34, 41.

I think my 43x and 48 are considered gen 5, no issues with them either.
Ok, your 7 cancel out the negatives I have heard.

I am neutral now.

Back
Top Bottom