Ah, memories.

Mornin

So for whatever reason, maybe its the crappy weather, I had this (not so) fond memory.
Was one of those, not going to say life changing in a negative way, but more of a "course of the rest of my life" moments.

It involved Sgt Maj Donald Purdy.
Purdy’s Rules to Live By

I will freely admit, I was not a combat m.o.s. I was a 63B-H8.
Off-road vehicle recovery, it was just a giant tonka truck wrecker.

I think now the designation has changed to 92 something, and 63B is now a dentinst I think.

Anyways, being young and dumb (now I'm older and not much wiser) I found myself in a headlock, being made an example of in front of the Company at the firing range.

"I will help you remove your head from your ass!"

This guy wasn't a badass, he was THE badass.
And from that day forward, he pushed me.
Not in a negative way, but more to "un-f***" myself.

Pushed me through Air Assault school. Hell I think he did the 12 mile with us.
Pushed me through Airborne school.
Pushed me through various weapon training.
Pushed me through a basic demolition clinc, which was (no pun intended) a blast.
Pushed me into R.I.P., which I failed, but it was a learning experience nonetheless.

If I had learned anything from this beast of a man, it was no matter how good you are at what you do, you can always be better, and learn more.
Given me a drive that most don't have or can't understand.

26 years later, and I can still hear him in my head. And in the most admirable and respectful way one can have.

Figured I'd get that off my chest.

Anyone else have any "one person" that "put them on a course" (for lack of a better term)?

Great story Dan. Obviously the SgtMaj felt you to be a worthy cause and no doubt liked you albeit you might not have thought so at the time. A lot of us grew up in the military and have the SgtMaj Purdy types to thank.

Back
Top Bottom