AI may be searching you for guns the next time you go out in public

Reptile

NES Member
“Could our system have stopped it?” he said. “I don’t know. But I think we could democratize security so that someone planning on hurting people can’t easily go into an unsuspecting place.”

George is chief executive of Evolv Technology, an AI-based system meant to flag weapons, “democratizing security” so that weapons can be kept out of public places without elaborate checkpoints. As U.S. gun violence like the kind seen in Buffalo increases — firearms sales reached record heights in 2020 and 2021 while the Gun Violence Archive reports 198 mass shootings since January — Evolv has become increasingly popular, used at schools, stadiums, stores and other gathering spots.

To its supporters, the system is a more effective and less obtrusive alternative to the age-old metal detector, making events both safer and more pleasant to attend. To its critics, however, Evolv’s effectiveness has hardly been proved. And it opens up a Pandora’s box of ethical issues in which convenience is paid for with RoboCop surveillance.

Continues...

It may find CCW folks but if somebody with an AR want to go on a rampage - there is no stopping.

They'll just get the good guys with CCW.

GVA is an anti-2A leftist MDA humper

LEFT-CENTER BIAS​

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation.

I don't like it, but they pay my step-daughter a lot of money.
I wonder if they know she carries?
facial recognition and AI surveillance is a really big field now indeed. it is coming, if not already here in most public places.
as all citizens are potential domestic terrorists, anyway, it is only logical.

throw them off by having a gun in every pocket...

facial recognition and AI surveillance is a really big field now indeed. it is coming, if not already here in most public places.
as all citizens are potential domestic terrorists, anyway, it is only logical.
Yeah, it's scary. A few years back, before they went public, she told me that they were having a person from Four Seasons come over as part of the testing. I think she might have pretended that she didn't know what FS was. She's not R&D but she's around for a lot of stuff. I called FS and asked my friend Jimmy who from the shop was going there. I forget who it was but Jimmy knew what I was talking about and I asked him what is that guys carry gun. I don't remember what he said but he knew what it was. I relayed the info to my daughter that on the off chance she was present during the testing she could identify the weapon exactly. She wasn't present, but wouldn't that have been a trip. LOL!

Yeah, it's scary. A few years back, before they went public, she told me that they were having a person from Four Seasons come over as part of the testing. I think she might have pretended that she didn't know what FS was. She's not R&D but she's around for a lot of stuff. I called FS and asked my friend Jimmy who from the shop was going there. I forget who it was but Jimmy knew what I was talking about and I asked him what is that guys carry gun. I don't remember what he said but he knew what it was. I relayed the info to my daughter that on the off chance she was present during the testing she could identify the weapon exactly. She wasn't present, but wouldn't that have been a trip. LOL!
A friend of mine got a job with them when they were still a start up. I volunteered to come by with some toys as I was curious to see if/how it worked, but they said they hired a firm for testing.

Back
Top Bottom