Air Rifle brands

My wife has given me clearance to reduce the squirrrel population around the bird feeder, and my sons $40 daisy pellet gun does nothing but frustrate me. It has a cheap scope, and you can actually watch the pellet vear left or right of target, as the squirrel continues to eat or flip you the bird. I'm in a neighborhood, and while my neighbors know that I shoot; I know that they would frown upon an AR hanging out the window.

So, I'm thinking maybe RWS model 34 in .22, or Gamo whisper but sheriden/Benjamin look solid as well.

I'm looking for your thoughts and places to buy.

Thanks,

K.P.

Last edited:
My Gamo is 22. When I hit a squirrel it usually either drops immediately or runs ten feet or so. When I hit a chipmunk it drops in its tracks. I did take the scope off the Gamo and now use the iron sights. For some reason the scope doesn't stay centered

The 22 pellet is heavier and slower so it has a more loopy trajectory. The .177 shoots flatter and faster so you need to figure in less hold over at longer ranges. Believe me, the .177 will easily take out squirrel and rabbit. Thing is you need a good, accurate rifle and you get what you pay for. A good air rifle will hold a 1/2" to 3/4" group at 30 yards. I can't recommend a Gamo air rifle, personally.

Last edited:
My RWS model 52 .22 cal folds squirrels in half.
My old Falcon FN19-TW blew them out of trees.
FalconForSale02.jpg

My RWS model 52 .22 cal folds squirrels in half.
My old Falcon FN19-TW blew them out of trees.
FalconForSale02.jpg

Nice rifle. These guys on here aren't airgun guys in general. Most of 'em look at power and price. If they only saw what's really out there they'd be very suprised, I think.

I was out of work at the time and I had to sell it to cover the mortgage. Killed me to do that. This thing would launch a 21gr Kodiak pellet at 940 ft/sec. Completely recoiless, completely silent. Would smash clay pigeons at 100 yards. At 35 yards I put dimes in modeling clay and shoot them easily. Someday I will have another one.

You wanna see some bad ass airguns? Airguns of arizona .com

I like the two guys at Straightshooters.com. Great people. The two guys will give a new guy all the time and advice he needs when he's buying.

when you start looking into air guns its just as crazy as any gun......http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/. I would start with a price point. I aquired a older early 60s vintage crosman 1400 22cal pump. Sent it out to JB airgun for a rebuild. I have been reducing the squirrel population since then. Mind you I am takeing them @ no more than 20 yards with iron sights and the trigger is rough on this gun. I have practiced and aquired the feel for the trigger. @ 8 pumps they drop fast or my cat moves in for the final kill. I also have not had a gamo I liked although the gamo scope that came with one of my older guns sits on my glenfield 22lr bolt action and has held zero for a few years now. The only other pellet gun I own is a pre charged BSA it has been broken for some time but I did like it before the seals went. It is up north awaiting time to retrieve it and get it fixed.

Those Quackenbush guns are made out of unobtainium. He takes orders, generally, twice a year. He will post that the order time is open on his web page. The guns are so "in demand" that in less than an hour he closes down from taking any more orders. You've gotta be vigilante as hell just to order one of those Quacken bush rifles.

I just think they are sick.....check out youtube for some other 50cal footage......... I had to call my friend to ask what gun he had. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_54/398

Its a springer but it shoots very nice. his is a .22cal. I helped him zero a red dot on it. Im not sure if it will hold up to the springN. I like the iron sights on it. The trigger was not to shabby either. Well I dont really now what I good trigger is like. I stay away from them or I would have match grade triggers in everything I own.

I had no idea of the air rifle options available. I think I have to keep it under $300 or around $250, because like anything my gears are turning and I'm ready to get carried away. I'm reeling myself back in and reminding myself this is primarily going to be used Sunday mornings, waiting for coffee while the rest of the house is still snoozing.
I don't want to use my "Honey I know it was expensive, but I had to have it" card on a back yard squirrel gun.

You guys are a bad influence.

Get this http://www.straightshooters.com/Weihrauch/hw50s.html . Spend the extra $79 and you will double the quality of anything close to it in price. Get the .177 cal and some JSB Exact pellts.

You don't use Hoppes on air rifle barrels. Just use some Simple Green or Beeman air rifle oil. No brushes, just pull through patches. Thet have mild steel barrels. Once cleaned initially you don't need to clean them 'til they shoot crooked and that's after thousands of rounds.

Last edited:
if you go with a scope, be sure to get a good set of rings with it. these are the best ones i've found to date.
http://www.bkltech.com/BKL_1_in_14mm_Dovetail_Unitized_Scope_Mount_p/bkl-460.htm

i have an rws panther in 22 with a centerstone scope (3-9x40mm) and i can consistently hit quarter sized targets at 30 yards. i've taken out rabbits, skunks and a woodchuck with it. longest distance was 40 yards on a rabbit.

the only thing i do not like about the panther is the trigger pull. heavy and long would be an understatement.

Yep, they ship here. Do yourself a favor. If you have time call in the order and talk to them. They are nice people. Get some pellets too because the stuff in stores is junk. I like JSB pellets. That HW 50S is a bargain for what you're getting. You'll appreciate it after you fire it and compare it to other air rifles. Take a good look at their web site and you'll see a lot of good stuff, too.

Add me to the Gamo Whisper fan base.

I'm not much of an air rifle person as far as experience or knowledge goes, but I do appreciate their utilitarian and fun factor.

I also had a squirrel problem in my back yard.

Normally it wouldn't have bothered me that much, but they were raiding my bird feeders and their population and boldness was growing.

Since I bought my Gamo, (.177), I've dropped maybe 10-12 or so of the tree rats.

Some were clean kills... others I assume ran off and bled out in someone else's yard
(I know I nailed them because they did this strange "Lord of The Dance" leap and pirouette into the air before they ran off [grin]).

That was last year.

This year I've probably seen only 3-4 (last time was 2 months ago), but the vermin ran off before I could fetch and load my shooting iron [frown].

One other factor to consider is if you'll be using the rifle for other purposes.

I have 35'-40' clear line of fire in my basement.

I put up a little fiberboard back stop that I can staple targets on and when in the mood (or when boredom or Winter months sets in), I can just plug away at paper and work to improve my marksmanship skills.

Last edited:
My son and I have rifles from Beeman,Benjamin,Gamo and RWS. Of all of them I think the Gamo Whisper would be the best combination of utility and cost for what you want to do. I'd get a .22 for several reasons. The bigger pellets hit harder and squirrels are tough little buggers. The heavier .22 pellets keep the velocity below the speed of sound which is better for accuracy. The .25 caliber hits even harder but once you go beyond the .22 caliber, guns and ammo get very specialized and expensive.

Set your budget, then set your sights...The RWS guns are certainly nice - the 52 is discontinued. I have an off the shelf Benjamin Elite Powermaster that I love - it's an anti-chippy sniper rifle. I also have a Gamo Whisper, which I use more than anything. It really is much more quiet - especially if you live in a neighborhood. If all you're looking to do is blast some squirrels, the Gamo will suit you just fine. While I have not used them, customers report good hunting with Gamo Rockets. It's a pellet with a steel BB in the tip. Certainly, if you feel like spending large dough on what essentially will be a pest control device, then by all means. However, you can do nicely with an off-the-shelf rifle for your intended purpose...

Hey Stinger, if you'd like, and you're not too far out, you can borrow my Beeman R7. It's made by HW so you would get a chance to see the HW quality. It's a little less powrful than the HW50S but easily takes squirrels. It's all set to go with a Bushy Trophy scope. I've got plenty of JSB pellets you can use, too. The .177 pellets work just fine on squirrels, ask me how I know.

My Crossman pump pellet gun has been claiming the lives of Chipmunks and Squirrels for about 15 years now. No need for a scope, just the irons.

My Crossman pump pellet gun has been claiming the lives of Chipmunks and Squirrels for about 15 years now. No need for a scope, just the irons.

I picked up a crossman 1200 from walmart for about $100, its a single shot break barrel so bating the little buggers will help, but sturdy little rig that I've used to cull the rodents in my yard and cheap.

good luck

I had a Benjamin Sheridan pistol that ran for at least 15 years without any service whatsoever. They're made like tanks and pretty damn accurate - you can't ask for much more at that price point.

I have a RWS 350 magnum in .177. The squirrels and chipmunks have been destroying my garden so I forked up $375 for it. It shoots the high velocity pellets at 1250fps, standard around 1000fps. Whatever the case it does what it's supposed to do with one shot. I'm using a Simmons 3-9 scope designed for centerfire rifle. The same model in .22 would be killer!

Back
Top Bottom