• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air rifle question

I just got a Crosman Fire break barrel rifle to go with my Sig Co2 rifle for plinking in my back yard. The Sig has a 36 pellet chain and needs a new Co2 cartridge after about 4 chains.

I expected the Crosman to make a bit more noise than the Sig but it sounds like a 22.
This surprised me because I have been shooting a friends Crosman TR77 and it makes a lot less noise. It looks almost the same except mine has a Nitro piston that claims to be 70% quieter. I am wondering about a couple things.

1 70% quieter than what?

2 what are the NH laws about shooting a pellet gun?

Piston (gas or spring) air rifles without any kind of surpressor are very loud. But a lot of the noise comes from the piston itself, so not a ton you can do about it. PCP rifles with surpressors are by far the quietest. CO2 with a surpressor also is quiet. PCP is by far the most popular these days, though are also most expensive.

Thanks!

I think the law says that a pellet gun is not a firearm and I can shoot it from my deck without a problem. [rolleyes]

The NH law also says that you can shoot within 300 feet of a dwelling if you have the homeowners permission. Since I am the homeowner I will have to give myself written permission to shoot from the deck.

[laugh2]

what are the NH laws about shooting a pellet gun?
New Hampshire law has nothing to say about airguns used by adults.

I think the law says that a pellet gun is not a firearm and I can shoot it from my deck without a problem.
The lack of mention in the RSAs is generally good, except in the case of hunting, where the permissible weapons for taking game animals are listed (see RSA 207:3), so F&G reads this as saying airguns are not permitted for restricted game.

I've seen this statement by F&G: "For most small game, it is illegal to use an air rifle for taking. However, squirrel, rabbits, hares, woodchucks and porcupine have regulations that do not specifically state a firearm must be used, therefore you can use any gun fired at arms length. Thank you and best wishes."

Last edited:
I expected the Crosman to make a bit more noise than the Sig but it sounds like a 22.
if it sounds like a 22 it could be dieseling. since you just got it, there could still be lube in the barrel?
did it quiet down after 20-30 shots?

A nitrogen piston also dosent losr power the longer it's cocked. A spring action will. This makes the nitrogen rifle better for hunting. Or rat shooting.

I doubt very much you would see any noticeable loss of power having a spring compressed for a long period of time.
Pellet guns are load especially smaller cal going very fast.
This is one reason why the 10 meter guns are low powdered. 500fps or so. The 22 cal pelguns are a bit quieter than 17s.
The muzzle brake on the fire is most likely not doing much. I can't see to much going into a 100$ rifle.
I have one is these on my 17 cal discovery...works
http://www.tko22.com/

Also where you shoot your rifle can have affect on how you hear it. Have trees and buildings close buy and it will appear to be load.
See if you can find someone with a decibal tester and test your guns . Enjoy

Last edited:
I got it last night and did a quick clean before shooting it 2 times.
I will do a better clean of the barrel before trying again.

We have 2 targets set up in the back yard for fun shooting.
One is a 3 x 6 aluminum plate on a tree that makes a good noise when hit.
The other is a SIG device with 4 targets that drop to a magnet when hit and a reset target.
The targets are about 30 (aluminum) and 25 (SIG) feet from the deck.

There is about 6,000 feet from our deck thru the woods to the next house in the firing line.
The neighbors on the sides are a bit closer

BTW if a squirrel get in the way it is his own fault!

Last edited:
The best way to quiet one of those nitro pistons down is to disassemble the piston from the compression chamber, clean all that nasty dirty oil out of there, apply molybdenum disulfide grease to the piston body and outer edge of the seal and reassemble it. it wouldn't hurt to have a couple extra piston seals on hand (they are like $1.15 from crosman), if you are going through the effort to disassemble it you might as well replace the seal, and be careful not to cut the seal when you reassemble.

The best way to quiet one of those nitro pistons down is to disassemble the piston from the compression chamber, clean all that nasty dirty oil out of there, apply molybdenum disulfide grease to the piston body and outer edge of the seal and reassemble it. it wouldn't hurt to have a couple extra piston seals on hand (they are like $1.15 from crosman), if you are going through the effort to disassemble it you might as well replace the seal, and be careful not to cut the seal when you reassemble.
this wont do much from the report of the "shot"

I got it last night and did a quick clean before shooting it 2 times.
I will do a better clean of the barrel before trying again.

We have 2 targets set up in the back yard for fun shooting.
One is a 3 x 6 aluminum plate on a tree that makes a good noise when hit.
The other is a SIG device with 4 targets that drop to a magnet when hit and a reset target.
The targets are about 30 (aluminum) and 25 (SIG) feet from the deck.

There is about 6,000 feet from our deck thru the woods to the next house in the firing line.
The neighbors on the sides are a bit closer

BTW if a squirrel get in the way it is his own fault!
my neighbor didn't say boo about me shooting my pellet gun until I started shooting at a old frying pan....he yelled from his porch.....stop that ****ing dingding noise you little ****er.
he was a cool old coot but somethings would bother him.

this wont do much from the report of the "shot"

Right but the muzzle report is actually pretty quiet unless you are shooting real light pellets above the speed of sound, the 'thunk' of the piston & spring as it slams forward is the louder part (at least in my experience), especially if there is excess oil in the compression tube that is combusting under pressure

The sound is like a loud snap or crack.
It sounds like a 22 or my friends Crossman when he doesn't put a pellet in it.
I might switch to a heavier pellet after doing a bit of cleaning.

Using a frying pan as a target is good idea but what would I cook my morning eggs in?

I was doing a little "pest control" from a second story garage window.
My wife asks "what were you doing out there?"
"Nothin'"
"Oh, it sounded like you were using a big stapler!"

The sound is like a loud snap or crack.
It sounds like a 22 or my friends Crossman when he doesn't put a pellet in it.
I might switch to a heavier pellet after doing a bit of cleaning.

Using a frying pan as a target is good idea but what would I cook my morning eggs in?

Right that's the crack of the report from the muzzle or more so the gas escaping . Try using heavier pellets it maybe a little quieter. They will tend to quiet down with use.
You can use your pan to cook after, just shoot the non cooking side or you might get a little salty lead taste lingering in your eggs.
If it helps when I shoot my load pellet gun. I shoot from inside my back door. in the summer I don't care much I usually shoot my 22cal pellet guns which are not as load. well I should say not as load in a sense that its a lower pitch. Much like the thump of a Garand vs the crack of a AR

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/01/airgun-powerplant-noise-which-guns-are-louder-and-why/

the noise the gun makes from the mechanical doings inside is different. much like the noise a A2 buffer makes on a AR

you will really know load when you shoot a PCP 17 cal that doesn't have some sort of barrel shroud..

fricken auto correct...... why does it keep switching loud to load! I aint fixing it

Last edited:
I doubt very much you would see any noticeable loss of power having a spring compressed for a long period of time.
Pellet guns are load especially smaller cal going very fast.
This is one reason why the 10 meter guns are low powdered. 500fps or so. The 22 cal pelguns are a bit quieter than 17s.
The muzzle brake on the fire is most likely not doing much. I can't see to much going into a 100$ rifle.
I have one is these on my 17 cal discovery...works
http://www.tko22.com/

Also where you shoot your rifle can have affect on how you hear it. Have trees and buildings close buy and it will appear to be load.
See if you can find someone with a decibal tester and test your guns . Enjoy

Theres an app for that.

The "nightclub" meters fail to react quickly to brief impulse noise, poor freq. resp.

See if you can find someone with a decibal tester and test your guns .
Theres an app for that.
The dB meter apps for smartphones barely work to measure ambient noise, to even start to measure the impulse energy of a shot you need expensive gear . You can rent a B&K 2209, Larson Davis, or equivalent 20 µs recording meter if you want meaningful measurements.

OTOH, with most airguns, what really matters is the perceived noise level at the listener's ears, particularly when that listener is your busybody neighborhood curtain twitcher.

The dB meter apps for smartphones barely work to measure ambient noise, to even start to measure the impulse energy of a shot you need expensive gear . You can rent a B&K 2209, Larson Davis, or equivalent 20 µs recording meter if you want meaningful measurements.

OTOH, with most airguns, what really matters is the perceived noise level at the listener's ears, particularly when that listener is your busybody neighborhood curtain twitcher.
correct, right now if I let a few shots go in the quiet of the the day almost anyone with in 60 yards would notice. once the trees leaf out and the kids are screaming I "could" shoot my 22lr with out notice.

A friend of mine who was a principal in SWR and one of the founders of silencertalk.com responded to my question about a normal sound meter by telling me that htey had to spend over $1000 to get consistent, accurate readings of guns and silencers.

The difficulty seems to be the transient nature of the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

correct, right now if I let a few shots go in the quiet of the the day almost anyone with in 60 yards would notice. once the trees leaf out and the kids are screaming I "could" shoot my 22lr with out notice.

The other thing about shooting a suppressed .22 is that even if someone hears it, they don't associate it with the sound of gunfire. It sounds more like an air nailer.

I was shooting some of the Gemtech subsonic .22 ammo out of my long (22") Ruger 10/22 today. I had my old YHM Mite silencer on it and the thing was eerie quiet. The bolt cycling was definitely louder than the muzzle report.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom