• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air Rifle Scope Suggestions buy Local

Hello , newbie trying to handle a growing woodchuck issue on our new community farm / garden. New to area and looking for local shop with air rifle inventory. People have planted with us on our land and the 11 little woodchuck colonies are creating plenty to shoot at. I am investing in a multi shot .22 PCP rifle , but for now I was given as house warming gifts , two air rifles and need some help on obtaining two scopes locally, now. The gift air rifles are a gamo big cat 1200 with GRT III trigger and a Crosman Quest 1000. Both in .177. So far I threw away the scopes and "plastic(??) sites.. If I stay within 25-50 yards and wait for a good head shot, I can drop them. The second gun next to me allows for follow up shot as the kill zones is smaller than I like with .177 and tried many types of pellets. It has been suggested to use a Leapers Scope for my purposes,3-9x 50AO full size. SCP-395AOMDLTS . Considering the myriad of scopes I was hoping to ask all that could have already been down the path I am on??? Many thanks... Ken Peaceful Acres Farm Plympton aaahhhh which one.... FX Revolution, FX Monsoon, Hale Storm, Evanix Renagade .22, Jack Haley .25, so much fun...

need sooner...

thank you for response, keep um coming...
I was hoping to buy from a local company, not online or only local.
And prefer not to wait till thursday.
any reason why you suggested this scope over the Leapers first suggested?
Ken

Hit up the local wal-mart and you can find one for 25 bucks. They may not be the greatest scopes in the world but they should work fine for what you described.

I shoot with a couple of guy that have cheap wal-mart scopes mounted on 10/22's and they shoot nice groups at 25 yards. They don't hold zero perfectly and the picture is a little dim, but you get what you pay for. I think they are rated for airgun use as well....not sure that really means anything on a $30 scope. Airguns recoil backwards from a conventional firearm this could cause some scopes to rattle apart.

thank you for response, keep um coming...
I was hoping to buy from a local company, not online or only local.
And prefer not to wait till thursday.
any reason why you suggested this scope over the Leapers first suggested?
Ken

I suggested this scope because it will do the job, hold zero, and the manufacturer has nice customer service. If you use a cheap scope, IMO, you're more or less throwing your money away. You'll never be happy with it. This scope is "airgun rated", has adjustable objective lens and when you do get your PCP rifle you'll have something 1/2 way decent to put on it. BTW, the groundhogs will be around 'til Thursday so what's the rush.

Hit up the local wal-mart and you can find one for 25 bucks. They may not be the greatest scopes in the world but they should work fine for what you described.

I shoot with a couple of guy that have cheap wal-mart scopes mounted on 10/22's and they shoot nice groups at 25 yards. They don't hold zero perfectly and the picture is a little dim, but you get what you pay for. I think they are rated for airgun use as well....not sure that really means anything on a $30 scope. Airguns recoil backwards from a conventional firearm this could cause some scopes to rattle apart.

Those airguns he's mentioned will kill a cheap scope. Airguns that aren't PCP's have recoil in 2 directions - the scopes not setup to handle that recoil will break.

Spend the money on the airgun-rated scopes appropriate for the recoil generated by the rifle. You don't put a scope rate for light recoil on a bruiser like an RWS Model 48. Look at the websites for airguns ( Yellow forum is one ) and see what people recommend. Bushnell is good, so are the Nikko Sterlings ( local at the Gun Room in Shrewsbury. ) Spend the money right the first time.

Joe R.

How about the Gamo LC4x32 scope, thats what the big cat comes with when you buy the combo. I have one on my .22lr has held zero thus far 300 rounds. taken from the hunter series I bought from dicks a while back. Its actually not bad for 40.00 and is made for air rifle.

Also When I got the air rifle bug I tried the Gamo assorted pellet packs. Came with 250 each of the the different pellets. pb,match, and 2 hunter versions. I liked the red fire pellets they seem to do the job quickly on squirrels @ 25 to 40 yards.

PS My friend bought http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1225-2188.html recently, it seems a lot quieter than my Gamo hunter. The .22 cal pellet drops the squirels 50yards easy.

http://www.airgundepot.com/career-dragon-slayer-772.html always wanted to see something like this in an air gun on small game.

Last edited:
hi john, cannot wait till thursday as the destruction is too great, broken sheeps legs, missing whole rows of others people peas......as I said we are running a community farm and need action. With my meager rifles and open sites, I got three more last night. You did not mention the Leapers scope that was suggested? seems to be rated for the pounding and cheaper than the Hawk you suggested? I really want to buy at a local shop and be able to shake the guys hand over the counter. Can drive anywhere?

All right , THANK YOU all. keep the info coming . I am learning a ton here.
lets see , the Gamo scope that came with it never stayed on anything. on both rifles , the recoil shook it back , even it I used the stop creep hole. At 10,25,50,100 yards it could not stay on target.
In the four Walmarts around my new farm , three have holes on the shelves where pellets and ammo and scopes , should be... one in halifax is all torn apart. < grin>
yes, guys posted here because I want to spend the right money once buying two scopes. I agree with all posts that buying cheap is not the way to go.
But what is cheap ? The $70 Leapers , the $160 Hawk? $380 ishcabible??
Awesome, response that Gun Room in shrewsbury has scopes that would work , and on on shelf. Will look them up. thank you
Really want to buy local and walk into the guys shop I buy from. Does anyone know of a south shore gun shop that has air rifle stock.......so much fun..

I know we carry a scope set up at Dicks that is made by Gamo. It's a 4x and comes with rings that slide in the mounting channels, (much like a .22). As Joe R mentioned, you're dealing with forward recoil - there's a lot of pressure traveling forward in a single stroke air gun - even some higher end optics are not designed to handle it. You need a dedicated air gun scope and those who have purchased the Gamo set up have been pleased. Center Point also makes an Airgun scope which comes standard on the Benjamin Elite Powermaster, (the gun I have). It holds zero and drives tacks, (though the mount was a PITA to get on properly).

As to pellets, Crossman makes a variety of hunting pellets in .177, but reports back about the new Gamo Rockets is very promising. It's essentially a .177, (or .22) pellet which looks like the tail ends of two pellets stuck together. The big surprise comes when Gamo decided to shove a copper BB into the front end. I have a regular customer, (also with an Elite Powermaster), who has not only purchased a variety of pellets for pest control, but has made notations on effects. One instance, he shot 3 Gray Squirrels with Gamo Gold, Crossman Hunter and Gamo Rocket. He reported that both the Gold and the Hunter did not have the same knockdown power as the Rockets, (despite consistent shot placement) - the squirrels did not die right away and took follow up shots to kill. He stated the Rockets dropped the squirrels like a rock and also dispatched a large groundhog with a single pellet. Might be worth looking into...

Unfortunately, with airguns and airgun accessories, the old saying, "You get what you pay for." applys. If you can't hit a U.S. Quarter at 30 yards, at least 9 out of ten times then it would be inhumane to hunt animals with that gun. If you intend to take out a groundhog with an air rifle you should plan on being able to put that pellet right down his ear canal or within 1/2" of it.

There is an outstanding airgun forum that has an overwhelming amount of info on it. Before you waste your money on the mostly inferior airgun stuff sold in our local stores, you may want to do the research. From my personal experience, I can't find anything that is worth buying locally. This part of the country is for powder burners.

Anyway here's a link to that airgun forum. If you join (free to join), spend some time and do some searches you can get all your question answered by very experienced air gunners. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

Last edited:
getting close....

In this face paced world many who reply are missing what I already wrote.
Tried every pellet so far I can find. The gamo stuff with the bbs are hitting sideways and flat, both in target and in hunting. 20-30 yards and a long wait for a good brain or lung shot and the hollow points are working best. packs of the gamo rockets I got at Dicks in plymouth were so bad they would not fit the two rifles entry point. The ones that are , do not seem to work on the woodchucks.
MassMark-the gamo 4x was not enough. Which Centerpoint model did you mean?
Yancini- Broad statements on not finding anyone local. I still will go local.
The forum you mention , I have laready been ripped off twice in the last twenty days.

so much fun

In this face paced world many who reply are missing what I already wrote.
Tried every pellet so far I can find. The gamo stuff with the bbs are hitting sideways and flat, both in target and in hunting. 20-30 yards and a long wait for a good brain or lung shot and the hollow points are working best. packs of the gamo rockets I got at Dicks in plymouth were so bad they would not fit the two rifles entry point. The ones that are , do not seem to work on the woodchucks.
MassMark-the gamo 4x was not enough. Which Centerpoint model did you mean?
Yancini- Broad statements on not finding anyone local. I still will go local.
The forum you mention , I have laready been ripped off twice in the last twenty days.

so much fun

I guess seeing is believing. Here's a groundhog shot at 30 yards with a .177, 8.4 gr., JSB Exact pellet, round head pellet which you ain't never gonna find in a local store. The gun only shoots these pellets at 820 FPS (checked personally with a chrony). You gotta be real accurate with an air rifle to be able to get groundhogs otherwise you'll just wound them.

2ywbggk.jpg

Last edited:
My TX200 Mk 2 likes those JSB Exacts and will shoot them into a nice group if I do my part. Crossman's CPL's are good too but I do see a variation in the different lots. People don't realize how accurate these rifles can be but there can be a trade off in the velocity/pellet weight game. This game is where the .22 cal. airguns come in handy if it has good velocity.

Centerpoints are good scopes - get a variable power one with at least 3-9 power. My Bushnell Banner on the TX is a 4-14 power and is a good scope for a lighter recoiling rifle. Higher power is good but too much can make it a chore to get accurate hits if you don't practice enough with them. Keep looking...

Joe R.

Stop messing round take them critters out!

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/ Solution solved, hit the buggers with this, they aint gonna suffa[shocked]

I have not shot anything bigger than a squirel with a air gun, take my shots at 30y and closer. like any other firearm finding its favorite food and learning its quirks is what you need to do. I have a POS air pistol, with lead BBs it is stupid accurate at 50 feet or less. But believe me, not used to this gun or its quirky trigger most cant hit paper.

Those Quackenbush air rifles are amazing. Try getting one! He only makes a limited amount of guns per year and you've gotta watch his web page all the time to see when he's taking orders. He sells out in less than a day and then you gotta start the wait all over for the next 6 to 9 months. For a handmade high quality item, his prices are very reasonable.

wonder how peaceful made out.....Dont farms get a bit of relief from firearm/hunting laws to protect the farm?

wonder how peaceful made out.....Dont farms get a bit of relief from firearm/hunting laws to protect the farm?

Yeah, they do but with strict guidlines. In order to hunt the "out of season", or "over the limit", etc. you must be the farm owner or immediate family. You also may be an farm employee to get this dispensation.

Bass Pro has the largest selection of airguns that I've ever seen in a store. Therefore, they "should" have airgun-rated scopes to go with them and appropriate ammo. You might give them a call and ask before venturing out, but if I was restricted to "local only", I'd check them out.

Woodchucks are tough buggers and personally I don't think that any airgun is up to the task, and I have a RWS that hums at ~1100 fps.

Bass Pro has the largest selection of airguns that I've ever seen in a store. Therefore, they "should" have airgun-rated scopes to go with them and appropriate ammo. You might give them a call and ask before venturing out, but if I was restricted to "local only", I'd check them out.

Woodchucks are tough buggers and personally I don't think that any airgun is up to the task, and I have a RWS that hums at ~1100 fps.

Even with Bass Pro's selection, it's difficult to get a really good air rifle locally. The stuff available over the internet is amazing. Don't get roped in with the "WOW, 1200 FPS" sales pitches made by Gamo and such manufacturerers. It's the accuracy that counts most and you need a good gun to get it. Airguns have limited power so shot placement is #1.

The pic below is a groundhog taken with my .177 Cal. air rifle shooting an 8.4 grain JSB Exact pellet from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 820/FPS or just over 12 foot pounds of energy. The head shot was taken, sighted between the ear and the eye. The animal didn't even quiver at all. He died instantly.

Having said all this, the truth is that a 22 cal. powder burner or larger will do a better job. Even a more powerful 22 or larger caliber air rifle would be better. But, air rifles can do the job if you can make the clean head shot.

qx7wix.jpg

http://www.compasseco.com/ is a good place, and where I got my Tech Force model 97 (I think). Real nice shooting .22 air rifle. I got the cheapo scope, and it does the job, but is pretty small and dark. I'd like something a little bigger/brighter. Might also consider a red dot.

Back
Top Bottom