Air rifle

Looking for an air rifle shoot in my basement to practice for indoor 50ft rimfire and rimfire silhouette.
Trigger replacement seems like a must but accuracy and noise level are probably my biggest concerns. Since im just gonna use in basement, im not against a pcp gun either. Price is negotiable. Based on features i guess. Like to keep it cheap but if spending more than a few hundred is the only way im prob not against it (if its justified)
Thanks in advance, Nathan

Last edited:
PCP guns are not going to be cheap. The Benjamin discovery is the least expensive and can be charged with Co also. It's not load but indoors it may be a problem. The gun with pump is going to run 350+.
The factory sights are not good for target work.
There are a few Jr's that practice with these down local club. They shoot very well once you find a pellet that does well....they seem to all like the jsb match pellets.
These guns are tough to beat for the price especially for indoor short range accuracy.http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Avanti_753/144

I like the pumps myself , no need for co or pumps.
I have a Benjamin discovery and it's a great pellet gun and I can get some great groups out to 60 yards but not really "target" quality.
Anything you buy from Wal-Mart or bass pro ectect is not really going to suite you well for target shooting....especially in doors. No,need for the hype of the velocity driven game rifles....Speed kills in pellet guns.
Plus they fail to mention they get 1200fps with 5 grain pellets.

Last edited:
I have a Gamo Silent Cat in .177. I use it to plink in the backyard. It is pretty quiet, and if you use lead ammo you don't get the sonic crack that you get with the PBA ammo.

Mine came with a scope, but I could never get it to hold zero. The red/green fiber optic sights on it are excellent, and I think they are perfect for the effective range of an air rifle. I can plink my smallest spinner at around 100' with it every time.

I did the Charlie 'da Tuna trigger upgrade shortly after getting it. Made for a much lighter pull.

Have a gammo - trigger is not that great but it is accurate and relatively cheap.
Noise is low unless you use the light weight pellets (break the speed of sound).

How about just using CCI quiet? No sound out of my savage other than a slight pop ( less than the gammo)

I have the Benjamin Marauder PCP in 22 cal. with a 3x9 scope...
The gun is so quite that I can shoot it without anyone the wiser (shrouded barrel). I can hit targets at 40 yards accurately, great rife for hunting!
I have the bicycle pump to recharge the air chamber... great workout btw.
All in at KTP it was about $480 with extra mag and sling... solved my family's chipmunk infestation problem.

I can tell you DON'T want a spring piston air rifle (open palm, light grip, even lighter trigger squeeze). Not the same trigger or hold for practicing for indoor rimfire. Not worth spending the money to tune the thing IMHO. BDDT.

The link for those pneumatics posted by mac1911 look good - indoor airguns is about accuracy NOT how fast the pellet misses the X. LOL. You definitely want similar peeps to practice with.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...er-air-rifles/

Looking for an air rifle shoot in my basement to practice for indoor 50ft rimfire and rimfire silhouette.
Trigger replacement seems like a must but accuracy and noise level are probably my biggest concerns. Since im just gonna use in basement, im not against a pcp gun either. Price is negotiable. Based on features i guess. Like to keep it cheap but if spending more than a few hundred is the only way im prob not against it (if its justified)
Thanks in advance, Nathan
I purchased a Beeman 177cal 800fps spring piston about 30 years ago.Added a Tasco air rifle scope and this worked well for a single shot kill on squirrels and small rabbits.Today,it looks and shoots as well as when it was new.I should of purchased the 1100fps for hunting.Was looking for something my kids could shoot.I went with the weaker spring so they could cock and load it. Doing a search I found a Beeman Grizzly X2 DC for $179.00.It has a 2 stage trigger,scope and two barrels…177 and 22cal.

yeah, you could go that way.

Or you could go belt-fed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thanks for all the help. Those cmp choices look good. Never even thought of them. Im just at the beginning stages of learning about these things, but is the T200 the best buy for the money? Im definitely a buy once cry once kinda guy but for short basement distances would a cheaper gun do just as well? Do i need to buy the $200 pump to charge it up. Is a scuba tank setup cheaper? Since im not planning on carrying this thing to hunt, just practice indoors, is it just easier to go w/a pcp?
.22 shorts or cbs were my first consideration but my ventilation situation wouldnt be adequate. Belt fed is always better right??
Thanks again
Nathan

I can tell you DON'T want a spring piston air rifle (open palm, light grip, even lighter trigger squeeze). Not the same trigger or hold for practicing for indoor rimfire. Not worth spending the money to tune the thing IMHO. BDDT.

The link for those pneumatics posted by mac1911 look good - indoor airguns is about accuracy NOT how fast the pellet misses the X. LOL. You definitely want similar peeps to practice with.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...er-air-rifles/
This is true - my gammo is terrible if you hold it. Get a PCP or use quiet ammo (CCI or aguilla)

i've also got the Gamo Silent Cat, very accurate but similar problems with scope not holding zero. could swap it though as the one it comes with is garbage.

Hmmm, so i like one of the hatsan pcps too. Am i just having to resign myself to spending another few hundred on a charging system? $500-600 plus another $200 on a pump puts me a little higher than i wanted. No air compressor can do? Plus no optics yet. This is starting to make sad...

Being a springer, id need to work on the artillery hold rt? Was thinking that might not work if i want to practice the same way i shoot rimfire and centerfire. Like i said im new on his and reading all i can.
Thanks

These might be ok plinking guns but not really suited for for practicing marksmenship in your basement. As much as some may think the gamo or typical break barrel you buy at Wal-Mart,cabela's or what have you just doesn't cut it.
This will out shoot any gamo Springer.
http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor...anti+853&pebp=1422726887612&peasin=B0018LETZ2

Hopefully the OP will post his choice and results from his home range.

we have a target board setup at 25 yards and this thing groups nicely once dialed in. being the newest nitro piston design it is much easier to charge rounds than the previous model too and no springer recoil.

I have a Benjamin Prowler with the Nitro Piston (same as the Crosman)...it was an impulse buy at a sporting good store.

It does .75 - 1" groups (5 shots) at 25 yards. I think ethical hunting range is 30-35 yards.

This thread made me grab it while on my way to the range today.

It's rated at 1200 FPS with alloy pellets and 1000 FPS with lead.

I got the following (3 shot average, didn't have more than a 15 FPS variation in any 3-shot group, 21 degrees outside, Chrony 15ft from muzzle)

JSB Exact Heavy - 10.34 Grains - 810 FPS
JSB Stratton - 8.26 Grains - 850 FPS
JSB Exact - 8.44 Grains - 860 FPS
JSB Exact RS - 7.33 Grains - 900 FPS

The regular Exact and the Exact heavy have equal accuracy (the best i've tested) and the same zero, so in my rifle they are interchangeable for target use and short range hunting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom