• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Airline gun Regs Q

geoguy8

NES Member
Planning a combo NC Dove hunt / Red Drum fishing trip this fall. What’s the deal with checking a long gun with luggage? Would like to bring my own shotgun for those birds -or should I ship back and forth?
Thanks all

Thanks - so does a factory plastic case with keyed locks pass muster ?
Don't be a skinflint.

Harbor Freight sells some nice gun cases at reasonable prices, they are tough and more than good for traveling.

PS: I know, I said " don't be a skinflint" and told the OP to go to Harbor Freight. But in this case the cases are as nice or nicer than what Cabelas sells for 2x the price.

Standard answer is go to the website of the TSA and the website of your airline and print out both their rules on flying with guns. Keep them in your pocket when you check in so you can dispute any BS rules the gate agents want to impose. Shouldn't be a problem. Thousands of hunters and target shooters do it every day. Have a great trip.

So last time they wanted a lock on every lockable spot. Long gun case with many holes that a lock could be put into, they all gotta have a lock. I am not an expert, this is what I was told on my way home last time. I hade two out of 8 holes locked on the way down. Ymmv

Also, gun doesn’t count as extra weight if you’re doing luggage pay by weight....TSA transports the firearm, not the airline.....or at least that’s what they said to me, I’m not an expert.

So last time they wanted a lock on every lockable spot. Long gun case with many holes that a lock could be put into, they all gotta have a lock. I am not an expert, this is what I was told on my way home last time. I hade two out of 8 holes locked on the way down. Ymmv

Also, gun doesn’t count as extra weight if you’re doing luggage pay by weight....TSA transports the firearm, not the airline.....or at least that’s what they said to me, I’m not an expert.
Makes sense. Almost all gun cases can be opened if there is only a lock on one side.

Even factory handgun cases.

Factory cases are garbage
Even Pelican cases. I have one with one lock in the middle hole. I can lift each end and remove a rifle.

I need to cut that lock because I lost the key.

This is one of the nice cases $100+, solid AF and pretty heavy.

This is why for traveling you want at least 3 locks, one on each side and one in the middle.

If it's a nicer rifle that you care about, get a pelican or similar to protect it. Luggage handlers are not gentle by any stretch...
THis.....last time I flew with my bow, i got a good bomb proof case with 4 locks, and it was scarred up pretty good. Like it fell off the stack of luggage on the way to the plane and ran across the pavement.

A cheap plastic wal mart case would have never survived.....I got to the place and took a few shots and everything was right on.

I also bubble wrapped and stuck extra clothing in there to make sure nothing was jostling around.

THis.....last time I flew with my bow, i got a good bomb proof case with 4 locks, and it was scarred up pretty good. Like it fell off the stack of luggage on the way to the plane and ran across the pavement.

A cheap plastic wal mart case would have never survived.....I got to the place and took a few shots and everything was right on.

I also bubble wrapped and stuck extra clothing in there to make sure nothing was jostling around.
It didn’t fall off the rack. They see fancy cases and drop them and throw them to try to break whatever you have inside on purpose. It’s a boring union job and f***ing with the “fancy rich folks” cases breaks up the monotony.

I’ve traveled internationally with expensive and sensitive photography and high end drone equipment and the cases looked like they were thrown on concrete and driven over by luggage tractors when I got them back. Thankfully the cases did their job and the gear was undamaged but several parts had separated and had to be reassembled, proving the case had undergone severe G forces.

Assume they’ll f*** with your shit. Min 4 locks

What airline?

Each airline has slightly different rules... go to your airline and read theirs. Print them and take that copy with you because the desk agents usually don't know them. TSA doesn't always know them either.

Delta does require all lockable locations have a lock in them. Other airlines don't call that out. Do not use TSA locks... even though some agents say you need them. The rules actually state you should be the only one who has access.

What airline?

Each airline has slightly different rules... go to your airline and read theirs. Print them and take that copy with you because the desk agents usually don't know them. TSA doesn't always know them either.

Delta does require all lockable locations have a lock in them. Other airlines don't call that out. Do not use TSA locks... even though some agents say you need them. The rules actually state you should be the only one who has access.
delta is also gonna zip tie your shit and put a CAGPT sticker on is so you have to claim it from their desk and not the baggage carousel.

do they still put on yellow tape with "firearm inside" all over it? Way back they did that. Didn't seem to be the smartest move to me.

Bought the heavy duty cabelas case. Seems sturdier than all the Planos , as good as the pelicans. 2 lock hasps on each end , plus 2 on the front. 6 locks required? Yikes. Flying Delta.

Back
Top Bottom