Airsoft anyone?

Been looking at Airsoft guns to mess around with in the house/backyard and practice with. Seems these things have got much better in quality compared to years ago when they first came out. They are dead on replicas of real guns so I want one vs a bb/pellet gun or a messy paintball that's nothing like a real gun.

Does anyone know about these? Do I want gas or electric, good brands vs crappy ones Poly vs metal receivers, open bolt blowback, etc? Started looking on the net but way too many choices and trying to read newb threads is like talking Best Budget Airsoft Sniper Rifles Chinese to me since I know nothing. :roll eyes:

Looking to spend anywhere from 150-400 if it's worth it. Also needs to be an M4-style rifle with rails etc so it's as close to my real guns as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve thought about them for force on force training, but that’s about it.

My information about them is probably 15 years old.

But if I needed to buy one tonight, it’d be this. Because hell, it’s an SR15… ish?

The gas blowback guns are actually extremely realistic and good for training. Many are extremely true to their real life counterparts and the number of replica firearms is astounding. They even make an M134 minigun for $3500. The nicer rifles and machine guns are as expensive as real firearms. Go check out Evike, which is one of the largest US online retailers. Very different than air guns, which generally are not close to anything real.

Airsofts come a long way since I played with a UHC spring Beretta in my youth. Spend enough and you'd get 1:1 licensed replicas, aluminum frame, slide and outer barrel. I use one to train my friends who have never handled a real firearm in basic safety and operation before giving them a real one at the range.

I bought a gbb M4 from some airsoft store in San Jose a decade ago and the guy claimed that they built it using parts from a real gun, like the rail, flash hider, sights, and handle (not that I would actually try it in a real gun). It’s very realistic, although the recoil is not as strong as the real thing. Even the mag holds 30 rounds. Paid like $550.

I’d go with gas blowback, it’s more realistic and you can practice mag changes. The technology has likely improved since last decade so electric might not suck anymore.

CE3E93F2-4240-489A-AC0F-F74F7B4D3844.jpeg

Last edited:
My son and I play in the backyard. We use cheapish spring single shots.
We’re looking to get into electric guns soon. He wants an M4 style and I’ll probably go 1911 so I can use my holsters and such.

PM me with questions. I game with my son at a field in NH. Lots of fun!

We need an NES airsoft team.
I retired from airsoft about 10 years now. I was a airsmith for Federal airsoft and repaired thousands of guns. Made a lot of them from scratch.
Waiting for my kids to get interested in it; 16, 11, and 5yo. When they do I can bust out the support weapons and artillery.

1660390147206.jpeg

1660390209669.jpeg

1660390261544.jpeg

1660390307385.jpeg

1660390419114.jpeg

1660390504086.jpeg

1660390540066.jpeg

1660390571698.jpeg

The artillery are air cannons and shoot tennis balls. The 60mm mortar shoots juice bottle rounds for reenactments.
I scratch built all the cannons, mounts, tripods, cart, .50 cal and bazooka. The .50 cal shoots 80 bb's a second with no moving parts.
It runs off CO2 with a vortex system and fires a cone of bb's about 20 feet diameter. It's used as an area denial weapon.
There's a video of it firing on yootube somewhere, I'll post it up soon.

My son and I play in the backyard. We use cheapish spring single shots.
We’re looking to get into electric guns soon. He wants an M4 style and I’ll probably go 1911 so I can use my holsters and such.

Meet us at "Feel Good Farms" in Lyndeborough. You can rent the gear you need and the games aren't full of teams so you can still be new and get some kills. Cheap day out.

Looking to get into myself but researching the restrictions in Ma. Hope I can find or create a group in the South Shore that would like to hit some of the spots here from time to time.

You might be overthinking it a bit - just don't be dumb with the thing. My son plays in public areas from time to time with no problems even though they have had hikers walk through their area.

You can get started here: https://www.ubgllc.com/

Yep - airsoft is great for Force-on-Force practice.

My son is 24, left the Army earlier this year, and marveled that he could bend over and scuff the grass at his feet with his hand anywhere in our yard and find some airsoft pellets. He and a group of kids used to shoot thousands of pellets weekly in our neighborhood. They don’t go away quickly…

My wife wondered why we see airsoft pellets on the driveway when there are no kids shooting these days. The turkeys (we have up to 40 roaming around in our SoNH neighborhood) eat them and they wash out of their poop on the driveway. 😅

I have a few to play with, but the SCAR-H is a wonderful replica. They got the blow back system and recoil right. Green Gas powered so no screechy gears grinding.

How do the gas ones work? Is it a cartridge like the old paintball guns, or a CO2 thingy? Or do you connect the gun to a larger tank? How much gear is needed to run a gas gun as opposed to electric?
I'm looking for simple cheap practice in the back yard, and occasional fights with my young son - nothing fancy or complicated.

The airsoft pages start making my head hurt with lingo I don't understand.

If your going to buy one for whatever reason spend the money and get a good one, I bought a few cheaper models for my girlfriends kid and they sucked

How do the gas ones work? Is it a cartridge like the old paintball guns, or a CO2 thingy? Or do you connect the gun to a larger tank? How much gear is needed to run a gas gun as opposed to electric?
I'm looking for simple cheap practice in the back yard, and occasional fights with my young son - nothing fancy or complicated.

The airsoft pages start making my head hurt with lingo I don't understand.

The one I have has a built-in gas reservoir in the magazines. You use a butane lighter-refill type bottle to fill it, then load up some BBs and go to town. I actually got it for a force-on-force training class, Shivworks AMIS and it was very useful. The one I have is close to a glock so it's close to what I really use.

If you just want cheap and fun and you don't plan on playing against other people try the GameFace GF76 from Dick's. Plenty good for backyard fun.

The better and more fun pistols are all gas driven. As mentioned above there is a refill system using "green gas" hand held cans that are about the size of a rattle can of paint. Easy enough to use. Gear requirement vs an AEG (electric) is equal. Make sure you get eye protection and cover your face and teeth too. A player I know got hit in the face swallowing both the front tooth and the BB that knocked it out.

and make sure your gun is approved for where you will be playing (if at a facility). My son tells me there are FPS limits at certain places he plays.

Gas types:

R134a Medium (Depending on brand has silicon mixed in)
Green Gas Very Good (Has silicon mixed in.)
Blue Gas Very Good(Has silicon mixed in) - Have not seen it available in years
Propane High (No silicon mixed in)
Red Gas Higher (Has silicon mixed in) - Rare
Black Gas (It's CO2 they sell paintball bottle adapters)

The Gases WITHOUT silicon mixed in. How to add silicone.

1. Empty the gas out of the magazine.
2. Depress hammer valve on back of magazine and hold.
3. Spray a 1/2 second shot of silicon down the gas port on the top of the magazine.
4. Gas up magazine. Never store mags without gas in them. Seals will dry up.

Some indoor events do not allow propane in gas guns. Propane is heavier than air and well up at the lowest point of the structure.
Think warehouse events with multiple floors, propane will end up in the basement.

Been looking at Airsoft guns to mess around with in the house/backyard and practice with. Seems these things have got much better in quality compared to years ago when they first came out. They are dead on replicas of real guns so I want one vs a bb/pellet gun or a messy paintball that's nothing like a real gun.

Does anyone know about these? Do I want gas or electric, good brands vs crappy ones Poly vs metal receivers, open bolt blowback, etc? Started looking on the net but way too many choices and trying to read newb threads is like talking Best Budget Airsoft Sniper Rifles Chinese to me since I know nothing. :roll eyes:

Looking to spend anywhere from 150-400 if it's worth it. Also needs to be an M4-style rifle with rails etc so it's as close to my real guns as possible.

Thanks!

My 9 year old is an expert. He recommended this:

View: https://youtu.be/9SXvfGLaJQc

Back
Top Bottom