Airtan airlines....Sucks

Trip : Sat 17(10:21am) - Sat 24
Logan- Ft Laud.
yes i was first screwed out of a seat i payed for...because they couldn't get us thro the tickey line(checked in online) got to the plane and they had already closed the doors..just after giving mine and 16 other passagers seats away..!!!! I was looking at my plane!! (oh only plane of Airtan that got off on time all day at Logan)

Then i took the lead and we (15 people and i ) stormed the ticket desk....[angry]

Management F-them...we came up witha plan...
Got a flight to NewportNews Va. at 740pm...
oh yaaaa..915pm we boarded the plan!!!
Well now it is 944am....in Va waiting for a 10:45 to Ft Lauderdale Fla

HERE is the kicker....... my baggage is in FT Laud. with you all guessed it a "checked" tool.[grin] and has been there since 3/17/07 at 1pm....
I'll be there @ 1pm.....[angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]

Yea, flying can suck at times particularly when the weather ain't so good. Screw up the beginning of the trip and everything following goes down the tubes.

However, I do have to ask what time did you get to the airport? I'd've tried to be at the airport at 8:30 (9:00 at the latest) for a 10:20 flight.

Also, what "tickey" line did you go through if you checked in online? If all you have to do was check luggage then do it curb-side if the line inside is too long. Then all you got to do is get through the security.

Good luck on the return.

They weren't much better when they were called "Valuejet". A good friend handled the recovery operations in the Everglades years back when they made the dive into the swamp.

None of the lowcost airlines are any better. The costs of admin staff has been cut to the bone so they can offer these fairs. Pretty soon the passengers will be chipping in for fuel.

They weren't much better when they were called "Valuejet". A good friend handled the recovery operations in the Everglades years back when they made the dive into the swamp.

None of the lowcost airlines are any better. The costs of admin staff has been cut to the bone so they can offer these fairs. Pretty soon the passengers will be chipping in for fuel.

They already are. Read the fine print. Part of the fare includes a fuel surcharge.

Seems like all the airlines are adding that surcharge. I really thought it was a bad move when one airline wanted to start charging for coffee and soda. Maybe a quarter to use the john although as a captive audience, they could get more...

Also, what "tickey" line did you go through if you checked in online? If all you have to do was check luggage then do it curb-side if the line inside is too long. Then all you got to do is get through the security

Curbside checking does not (at least in my experience) have the ability to handle checking of firearms in luggage - that still necessitates going to the line inside so an agent can handle the declaration form, inspect the gun to make sure it unloaded (procedure, but not always followed) and possibly (not sure) make a note of the checked firearm in the data system.

Curbside checking does not (at least in my experience) have the ability to handle checking of firearms in luggage - that still necessitates going to the line inside so an agent can handle the declaration form, inspect the gun to make sure it unloaded (procedure, but not always followed) and possibly (not sure) make a note of the checked firearm in the data system.
You're right, I've read the same as well. I missed that part in the original post. In that case I'd've been at Logan by 8:00 to deal with that.

I do hope Fith gets there safely and that everything there is intact.

Well i'm here FLa ...all is well....
The bag was fine..well sitting out in the baggage claim lobby..... but no one knew the difference!

( i was at the airport at 8:04..by my parking ticket in the garage) Made it to the gate and the plain was still there...they just won't kick the stand-by people out of OUR seats..yes all 16 of us were alil pissed...

talk to you all with more info later

( i was at the airport at 8:04..by my parking ticket in the garage) Made it to the gate and the plain [sic] was still there...they just won't kick the stand-by people out of OUR seats..yes all 16 of us were alil pissed...

The issue is not when you parked your car; it's how soon before your flight were you checked in. As, by your own admission, the stand-bys were boarded and the plane secured, you and 15 others were clearly late.

As you were carrying a firearm, "online" check-in was clearly not an option.

And it's AirTran; not "Airtan" - unless they have those magic lamps over each seat so you arrive all golden brown......

Last edited:
I've never had a problem flying Airtran and have done so many times. Always on time in my experience except for once during a snowstorm where it departed about an hour late (that was mid last month), only once did I experience a baggage delay (airport caused, not airline caused).

I generally find I have more problems with the majors like United and US Air.

And it's AirTran; not "Airtan" - unless they have those magic lamps over each seat so you arrive all golden brown......

Wait a minute...could that be humor coming from Scrivener??? I don't believe it....

Well i'm here FLa ...all is well....
The bag was fine..well sitting out in the baggage claim lobby..... but no one knew the difference!

( i was at the airport at 8:04..by my parking ticket in the garage) Made it to the gate and the plain was still there...they just won't kick the stand-by people out of OUR seats..yes all 16 of us were alil pissed...

talk to you all with more info later
Glad to hear everything and everyone got there fine, if a bit late.

"8:04" Wow, I would have guessed that was plenty of time. Assuming you got in line by 8:20 that's 2 hours (plus?) before flight time. According to AirTran's web site they don't accept luggage and passengers for check-in less than 30 minutes before flight time and passengers must be at the gate for boarding NLT 10 minutes before departure. That means you were probably checked in NLT 9:50 (again wow, 1:30 in line really sucks), which gave you 20 minutes to get through security and to the gate (that can be tough to do at Logan).

Better luck on the return! Does AirTran provide luggage check-in at the self-serve check-in kiosks? Did they have a separate luggage check-in line for those who checked-in online? Either of those should be quicker than waiting in the regular line for 1:30.

Hmmm...

The ol'

"Ya Get What Ya Pay For"

Does seem to apply.

My next flight is via Spirit Airlines. Don't know much about them except that they came up from the Charter business and are big into the Caribbean and have the youngest fleet around. We got a great fare, but it took my wife all her skills as a professional purchaser to secure it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

My friend loved Spirit Air for their trips to Cancun and surrounding area. The price was right and the service decent.

I am very glad to hear it - we're flying Spirit in a few weeks.

NOTE: Spirit is now charging extra for emergency exit seats (more legroom) and also for beverages and snacks. Remember when airlines competed on food and service; not fares?

Keeeeeeeerist - the airlines look more like bus lines and the buses look like the better deal every day.............

Fith, when you checked in at Logan, did you delcare your "tool" at the counter? I've flown many times with my "tools" and I get to the airport at least an extra 30 minutes (2-1/2 hours) just to make sure that there won't be any delay. I've always had my bags opened, firearm inspected, and have endured conversations with the TSA and usually his/her supervisor before they close my bag up and I'm off to the gate. How the heck AirTran is supposed to do all that with such a short check in time is beyond me!

Useless Air even lost my rifles, once. And that was on a NON STOP flight!

Glad it worked for you. I'm just curious because you didn't mention haveing to deal with the TSA inspection before checking in.

Rome

Ok...yes the day was a screwed up situation!
1st Limo got stuck..then caught fire
Then the airline was a bunch of morons
The whole think could have been avoided if the gate crew and the ticket counter just talked... they had a list of pass. names the plane was missing 16 ( that i know of) people. They were awhere that they called our flight to the front of the line.
To address the standby's well yes they were there at the gate..because they had been there since the day before... sooo the "i was there first" arguement can go back to the school yard![smile]
I "checked" with the ticket agent ..then was asked to wait right at the counter to "see" if TSA would need my key to the locked hard case..(DUH.. this way of checking is stupid. And i was not present during the search/check) Would have been easier to just bring me and my bag to a TSA office(which JetBlue does) so i did. And amagine that TSA needed the key. The check took a total of 5 minutes( which again would have got me on my plane.( i asked TSA agent @ 9am and a AirTran Empl. @ 9:30 am if there was a way to ,since i was ele. check in , just go to TSA. "Just stay in line")[hmmm]
I guess i'm just a simply man with simply salutions! ! ![thinking]

I "checked" with the ticket agent ..then was asked to wait right at the counter to "see" if TSA would need my key to the locked hard case..(DUH.. this way of checking is stupid. And i was not present during the search/check)

It's not "stupid" - it's a violation of Federal law. The key is not supposed to leave your possession. Period. No amount of superfluous quotation marks changes that.

This means you DON'T give it to TSA twits, ticket agents or anyone else. It means YOU are personally present when the luggage is opened, the locked gun case is opened, the gun is verified unloaded, the gun case is RE-locked, the suitcase secured and passed through to baggage handling.

Note also that to put any sort of label identifying the luggage as containing firearms on the outside of the luggage is also illegal.

Your apparent plan to do an electronic check-in with a firearm is simply absurd. If that was your intention - and your post clearly indicates it was - then YOU were the major problem. The rest of the crisis - such as the flaming limo - simply exacerbated an already untenable situation.

So much for your "simply salutations." It appears neither you nor the TSA twit knew the proper procedure.

The TSA regs are available on-line; I would imagine AirTran's regs are also. Bringing a print-out of same with you on your next trip would help.

It's not "stupid" - it's a violation of Federal law. The key is not supposed to leave your possession. Period. No amount of superfluous quotation marks changes that.

This means you DON'T give it to TSA twits, ticket agents or anyone else. It means YOU are personally present when the luggage is opened, the locked gun case is opened, the gun is verified unloaded, the gun case is RE-locked, the suitcase secured and passed through to baggage handling.

Note also that to put any sort of label identifying the luggage as containing firearms on the outside of the luggage is also illegal.

Your apparent plan to do an electronic check-in with a firearm is simply absurd. If that was your intention - and your post clearly indicates it was - then YOU were the major problem. The rest of the crisis - such as the flaming limo - simply exacerbated an already untenable situation.

So much for your "simply salutations." It appears neither you nor the TSA twit knew the proper procedure.

The TSA regs are available on-line; I would imagine AirTran's regs are also. Bringing a print-out of same with you on your next trip would help.

You know...i'm not ...Have a Good day!

I am very glad to hear it - we're flying Spirit in a few weeks.

NOTE: Spirit is now charging extra for emergency exit seats (more legroom) and also for beverages and snacks. Remember when airlines competed on food and service; not fares?

Keeeeeeeerist - the airlines look more like bus lines and the buses look like the better deal every day.............

That's not all they're charging for. Baggage check, too.

Spirit Airlines on June 20 will begin offering all of its inflight services—including checked baggage, beverages and snacks—a la carte and stripping them out of the base fare. Chief marketing officer Barry Biffle said the move will enable the carrier to reduce its overall fares by up to 40 percent in some markets.

"We're piecing out the product. You can pay for what you want, but you don't have to pay for the things you don't want," Biffle said last week. "If you back up 10 years, if you wanted a song you had to buy the entire CD. Now you can go to ITunes and get one song for 99 cents."

On the menu, Biffle said, are checked luggage ($5 apiece for up to two), beverages ($5 for alcoholic, $1 for non) as well as miscellaneous snacks. Biffle also said Spirit will sell its front seats with extra pitch at an additional cost, but is doing away with the class system.
What's next? Standard fare is you jump from the airplane to the gate; jetway service is $15? Maybe stopping at all is "a la carte," and standard fare means you jump out as they slowly roll past.

ETA: PS: I travel on business all the time, and I wouldn't fly Spirit on a bet.

Back
Top Bottom