• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK build parties, anyone?

If I opt to get a populated & headspaced barrel in an AK47 parts kit, is there any reason NOT to pin/weld the brake prior to the party? For example, if I end up checking the headspace again and it needs to be adjusted, would it matter that the brake's already been welded?

If I opt to get a populated & headspaced barrel in an AK47 parts kit, is there any reason NOT to pin/weld the brake prior to the party? For example, if I end up checking the headspace again and it needs to be adjusted, would it matter that the brake's already been welded?
I'd say that you may want to shoot the gun first and make sure the front sight is where you need it to be before welding anything in place.

Oh, you also need to press the barrel back into the trunnion after riveting, and with the slant break already attached, it would be difficult to press (as opposed to just putting some pennies on the muzzle and having a flat protective barrier to put pressure on.)

Last edited:
If you buy a populated and headspaced barrel, you still need to press the barrel out of the trunnion in order to rivet the trunnion to the receiver. Then you have to press the barrel back in, re-check the headspace, and reinstall the barrel pin.

You really don't want to press the barrel in using the muzzle brake.

Edit: Too slow

Here's a question -- I have two kits to build and I'll choose one for this build, my first. One Polish fixed stock AKM and one Hungarian AK63 underfolder. With the Hungarian because of MA AWB I'd have to replace the stock with a fixed one, which means getting a fixed stock receiver. Correct?

Here's a question -- I have two kits to build and I'll choose one for this build, my first. One Polish fixed stock AKM and one Hungarian AK63 underfolder. With the Hungarian because of MA AWB I'd have to replace the stock with a fixed one, which means getting a fixed stock receiver. Correct?
Or you can weld the underfolder to remain fixed in the open position.

I'm not sure if the Hungarian matches 100% to other under folders.
I just uses normal fixed stock prebent and added holes. So u might need todo the same with a 100%.

But you would need a fixed stock rear tang / trunnion. 47/74 will work just different rivets.

Or you can weld the underfolder to remain fixed in the open position.

Or be a free man and say **** you to the law.
Or use a bolt so when u go to a free state 5-10 mins you got a folder,

Speaking of Hungarian underfolder kits, I ended up stuck with an extra one, had a friend who was going to do a build with me and backed out after I ordered the kit. It's up in the classifieds if anyone's interested.

I'm not sure if the Hungarian matches 100% to other under folders.

You are correct, it does not.
Stock will not be 100% parallel to the receiver using a euro pattern receiver. It's really obvious when folded, not that that's a problem in MA.

You are correct, it does not.
Stock will not be 100% parallel to the receiver using a euro pattern receiver. It's really obvious when folded, not that that's a problem in MA.

Yeah my under folder I just traced the holes on one side . Drilled under size . Then slowly open them up with a dermal . It looks funny cause I cut 1-2 inches off the front of the receiver and moved the front trunnion towards the rear for the 45acp build.

How's April 25th work for folks? Do we have a definite yes on hosting spot yet?
If people don't mind being outside, I have a carport I can completely clean out, and a 12'x12' canopy I can put out as well. I have really none of the tools needed though, so it would depend on everybody else that is willing to bring tools. Also, I think May 9th would be a better day for me to be able to host. There will be nothing else going on here that day. Let me know. If this works for people, I'll post up a new thread with details on everything, and we can start really getting things set in stone.

Outside would work, but id be worried about nosey neighbors...not that its illegal, but it might be a hard sale to cops if there are 10-20 guys with AKs in your front yard hahaha

No worries - its my backyard. No view from the front either. My neighbors won't care, and that's if they even notice. The carport is under the rear of the house and faces the backyard. It would be a garage if it had a door on the entrance.

I'm not going to build at this party, but if my schedule works I will be there with lots of tools.

Is the build party going to be in NH or MA? Will it be exclusive to residents of that state? How does the law work in that regard?

Is the build party going to be in NH or MA? Will it be exclusive to residents of that state? How does the law work in that regard?

Legally speaking, a NH resident would need to make their rifle MA compliant (dumb) and then have one of their MA friends carry the gun back to the border for them.

Practically speaking, I would just bury it under my seat until I got home.

I completed my last AK in my Dad's shop in NY. It came home at the bottom of a pile of Christmas presents.

Edit: Another option might be to just bring the barrel, trunnions, receiver, and trigger guard, to the party. Do your riveting, pressing, and pinning, and leave with something that is not quite a 'firearm'. Install your furniture, muzzle device, bolt, carrier, FCG, and dust cover after you get home. Might still be considered a gray area legally, but IANAL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom