AK building legality

Willluvstafish

NES Member
I'm trying to figure out if it's legal to build a AK kit in Ma. If it's from one of those older cut receiver kits, would've it be a pre ban? Does putting a modern day new receiver make it illegal? If so maybe I can get an old receiver? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Built using a post-94 receiver: comply with MA AWB (limited evil features)

Built using a pre-94 receiver: no need to comply with MA AWB

Built with 80% receiver: STFU
This is exactly the answer I was looking for.
Uhhhhhhhhh...

Look, I don't know how to tell you this, but...
I didn't realize that meant assault weapons ban. Disregard

To be clear, if you weld a torch-cut receiver, I'm pretty sure it's considered new. You'd need to find a whole receiver that is provably pre-ban to claim pre-ban status

Just wanted to weigh in and add that, yeah, welding a cut receiver turns something with no legal status into a "new" receiver for legal purposes. The old parts become a new receiver made in 2021 by the person who welded it together.

I also want to add that welded-together receivers don't have the same integrity as an un-cut receiver would. Usually, welded together receivers only show up when someone absolutely wants 100% correctness for historical purposes.

I'm thinking of this. Not sure how available pre ban recievers are but if it's a pre 94 reciever on a pre 94 parts kit I think I'd be in the clear.

...at which point you'd be spending so much money, you might as well have simply bought a preban rifle. How rare is the variant you're trying to build? And do you already have the kit?

...at which point you'd be spending so much money, you might as well have simply bought a preban rifle. How rare is the variant you're trying to build? And do you already have the kit?
Not about the price per se. I like to build things. No I don't have a kit yet. I'm trying to see my options including the question of this post before starting.

Not about the price per se. I like to build things. No I don't have a kit yet. I'm trying to see my options including the question of this post before starting.

I get that.

Finding bare AK receivers in MA is not terribly easy to do, but there's nothing unlawful about purchasing one. If you like to tinker, building one from a flat would be a satisfying project for you, I expect. Good luck!

I'm thinking of this. Not sure how available pre ban recievers are but if it's a pre 94 reciever on a pre 94 parts kit I think I'd be in the clear.
You're probably missing the joke. There is a member here that literally used a square shovel to make a functional ak receiver. The point being if you use your own receiver there is no way for anyone to prove pre-ban/post-ban as it's just sheet metal.

You're probably missing the joke. There is a member here that literally used a square shovel to make a functional ak receiver. The point being if you use your own receiver there is no way for anyone to prove pre-ban/post-ban as it's just sheet metal.
I definitely missed that. I thought he was calling a receiver a shovel lol. But I definitely catch what you guys are saying. I appreciate everyone's input and advice

I actually messaged him to see if he was selling all those "shovels" for 500 🤣🤣

To be clear, if you weld a torch-cut receiver, I'm pretty sure it's considered new. You'd need to find a whole receiver that is provably pre-ban to claim pre-ban status
I've never heard of that, If you weld something that was cut in half back together it doesn't magically become new?

Back
Top Bottom