AK question

I got a Russian that has been refurbished. Like very refurbished. Its clean. I shot it a few times to make sure it worked fine. I like it but usually grab my other sks that is all original in patina. Maybe I will list. Just didn't realize there was a demand . When I got my sks's there was no demand. Or as much demand as a Mosin 10 years ago

I got a Russian that has been refurbished. Like very refurbished. Its clean. I shot it a few times to make sure it worked fine. I like it but usually grab my other sks that is all original in patina. Maybe I will list. Just didn't realize there was a demand . When I got my sks's there was no demand. Or as much demand as a Mosin 10 years ago
I think part of the demand now is that 7.62x39 was still sub .40cpr until the past few days.

(What a crazy sentance to type)

Top you’d want to pay for a Norinco SKS would be $500, $550 if it comes with all the bells and whistles. I’ve seen some Yugos for $500 and I was kicking myself over buying a Norinco for $500 a couple weeks before lol

ETA: Those Norinco SKSs were like $200 10 years ago, so following along with all increases across the board the last few years $500 isn’t terrible.
I paid $350 for a Norinco SKS at Four Seasons in 2010 or 2011. I think I overpaid then but I was a noob gun owner. Got my LTC in late 2009.

WASR-10's weren't so bad as most say. The bulk of the issues outside of estethics were canted sights, trigger slap and a mag wobble. All three are fixable and most people can do them. I bought one years ago when they were going for about $225 or so with 2 steel 30 rounders, oiler kit and cloth sling at the FFL's. In retrospect I should have bought at least 5 more. My sights were fine and no trigger slap but it did have a slight mag wobble that bothered me and the stocks (any AKM) are a bit short for my personal comfort. I went about and got bits and pieces together like a 1" rubber butt pad extension, leather sling, a small can of china red stain and stuff I already had on my shelf. I spent a rainy day working on it building internal dimples, reworking the wood and metal, buffing the bolt and piston to a mirror shine and so on. So for an extra $20.00 in parts and a rainy day it came out okay with no mag wobble. As for accuracy, with cheap wolf black box it gets about a > 4 moa. With federal brass soviet it tightens up to a > 2 moa which isn't bad for an AKM. I also got some extra mags including some 5 rounders for the bench, all of them work fine. I did have to tone down the china red with some orange shellac.

AK no B small.jpg

Think I paid $400 for my WASR. Manchester Firing Line had a pallet of them like 10 years ago.
Came with 2 Tapco mags, bayonet, oil bottle, cleaning kit and rod. Figured it was a fair price.
Only issues are mild trigger slap, picky about what mags fit, and can’t get a slant brake that doesn’t rattle / loosen up.
You can relieve the trigger slap by grinding off the back corner of the disconnector. Google trigger slap and you'll see it in more detail.

WASR-10's weren't so bad as most say. The bulk of the issues outside of estethics were canted sights, trigger slap and a mag wobble. All three are fixable and most people can do them. I bought one years ago when they were going for about $225 or so with 2 steel 30 rounders, oiler kit and cloth sling at the FFL's. In retrospect I should have bought at least 5 more. My sights were fine and no trigger slap but it did have a slight mag wobble that bothered me and the stocks (any AKM) are a bit short for my personal comfort. I went about and got bits and pieces together like a 1" rubber butt pad extension, leather sling, a small can of china red stain and stuff I already had on my shelf. I spent a rainy day working on it building internal dimples, reworking the wood and metal, buffing the bolt and piston to a mirror shine and so on. So for an extra $20.00 in parts and a rainy day it came out okay with no mag wobble. As for accuracy, with cheap wolf black box it gets about a > 4 moa. With federal brass soviet it tightens up to a > 2 moa which isn't bad for an AKM. I also got some extra mags including some 5 rounders for the bench, all of them work fine. I did have to tone down the china red with some orange shellac.

View attachment 469499

I don't think anybody is arguing the fact that the WASR is a decent AK trunk gun for $300, the argument is $2k for a WASR, which in turn makes it a POS AK. At that point I would just come up with $500 more and get an Arsenal, ANY Arsenal.

you can score some $ for the sentimental value on the original, but, as for finding someone ready to be spending much on the refurbished - who knows. may happen, may not.
but if you want any $ - the time to sell is probably now.

I don't think anybody is arguing the fact that the WASR is a decent AK trunk gun for $300, the argument is $2k for a WASR, which in turn makes it a POS AK. At that point I would just come up with $500 more and get an Arsenal, ANY Arsenal.

The problem is in 2021 a WASR is 850 bucks to a grand. An Arsenal is going to run you at least 1700 bucks if you can find one.

With ammo availability/prices, buying anything chambered in 7.62x39 would be a wise choice IMO.
for the local market the only reason i can think of to have it is a potential SHTF situation, just to have something capable of shooting the caliber. to each his own, but, to me fun factor shooting .223 steel tula is much higher than shooting anything 7.62x39. plus, a price diff between them now is just 10cpr. negligent enough and does not justify astronomical prices of 7.62 caliber guns now.

$850 in the US, A lot more expensive here in MA Maybe I am wrong, could have sworn I seen WASR's here for close to $2k.
It's not just you. They are 2 grand in MA right now easily and I've seen them as expensive as $2700, the typical Preban Colt price tag...which is absolute lunacy.

$850 in the US, A lot more expensive here in MA Maybe I am wrong, could have sworn I seen WASR's here for close to $2k.

Yeah, I'm speaking in real world terms, they are $850-1000 or so at retail.

Ma Maura Healey Faggotry is so nebulous as to be ignored as garbage.

WASR's are garbage. Back when WASR's where going for whatever, an unconverted Saiga was going for like $150 less. By the time a person fixes all the bullshit from the sights, magwell and trigger, they could of built a f***ing saiga out and had a fantastic Russian receiver not made like shit and converted like garbage.

WASR's are garbage. Back when WASR's where going for whatever, an unconverted Saiga was going for like $150 less. By the time a person fixes all the bullshit from the sights, magwell and trigger, they could of built a f***ing saiga out and had a fantastic Russian receiver not made like shit and converted like garbage.

Eventually WASRs got a lot better. My friend has a WASR with the tapco G2 in it, everything is straight and it shoots decent. He bought it a year or so before healeyban bullshit happened.

Circa 2013 and earlier this was true.
Cugir has changed a lot, recent WASRs are much better.

As for Kalashnikov Concern...if you haven't seen the recent photo of the absolute garbage AK they put out...
1617722100200.png

Maybe the sanctions have hit them hard.

Lol.. You definitely aren't a thread guy, this is a thread about Romak's and you post a group you shot with what looks like an Arsenal judging by the wood.

Nice try though :)
That wood is very obviously WASR wood, lol.

He created a target using an Arsenal, wrote that he used a WASR and dated it three years ago just for this thread?! [rofl]

Most Arsenal owners (I have one myself) are very clear to snub their noses at WASR owners, so I find that unlikely. Arsenal owners can be sensitive as well, Rob Ski got a lot of panties in a bunch when his Arsenal didn't do so well in his torture test.

Arsenal's been resting on their laurels and military contracts for a while, as others catch up to them and surpass them in some places.

Back
Top Bottom