• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK/SKS questions

Depends on your budget. I'm not an AK/SKS fan so if I had to buy either I'd go for the SKS simply because of price.
I just don't see the appeal of a gun that's only kind of accurate.

in before @Picton says get a Vz-58
Get a Vz58.

Actually, depending on budget, an SKS would be the better buy. But if it's a choice between an AK and a Vz, and they're both available? Yep. The Vz is the better rifle.

Bear in mind I've owned about six AKs, too, and I love 'em. No matter what you pick, OP, it's tough to go wrong. Avoid USA-made AKs; we don't seem to do them as well as the commies do. Also, if you go for the classic "starter AK" (the WASR), watch for a canted front sight tower that might make it hard to zero.

But they should all go bang with near-zero malfunctions. That's the beauty of the x39 lifestyle.

Last edited:
Assuming this isn't a parody thread of the recent SKS SHTF fapping...

The SKS is a milsurp rifle. They were made in the Cold War, stored, some were brought out for service, then sold as surplus here. The SKS saw service from the Battle of Berlin in 1945 up until recently in places like the Balkans. The SKS was a gun designed around 1943 to 1945 and it shows - the Russians got rid of the SKS as soon as they smoothed out production issues with the AK. Other countries like the PRC and Yugoslavia kept making the SKS for export and stockpiling in the event of WW3.

AKs on today's market aren't usually milsurps. They're made with US customers in mind and have been since the first ones arrived in the 1970s and 1980s. Parts kits builds are a different story and I don't think that's what OP wants.

In pretty much every way, the AK is better. I would rather collect AKs. I would rather use an AK defensively over an SKS. I would rather hunt with an AK over a SKS. The only advantage the SKS has is that they're cheaper to buy.

Even in Mass, a regular AK is a better option in every way. Want a pre-1989 or 1994 gun? AK. Want pre-1994 mags? AK. Want to mount optics? AK. Want to collect old guns? AK parts kit builds and pre-1989 guns.

I read that the Soviet Bloc mantra was "spray and pray" .
AKs are mechanically 1 MOA worse than M16s. Take that for what it is.
Sure, keep drinking Finnish or Swedish vodka as well.
Call a Polytech Legend legend "junk" to anyone that knows anything about AKs and wait for the [rofl][rofl][rofl].

I read that the Soviet Bloc mantra was "spray and pray" .
The sks I had was hand picked out of pack of 50 and had very good barrel- I could shoot via ducks neck at 50m. For an sks it was ok, with a 4x scope.

As of mantras - it is not about the gun but who would hold it - a bunch 17-18 yr old kids with very insufficient targeting skills/practice.

AKs are mechanically 1 MOA worse than M16s. Take that for what it is.

Call a Polytech Legend legend "junk" to anyone that knows anything about AKs and wait for the [rofl][rofl][rofl].
Junk.
Non junk has kalashnikov name and made on his motherland factory. Same as calling Chilean sparkling wine ‘champagne’.
To each his own, you like it - you get it.

Not to even begin that you dare to call an Avtomat Kalashnikova some semi-auto junk. It is called ‘avtomat’ - means it fires automatically. Everything in it is perfected to support reliable sustained auto fire, any conditions or climate. To call any semi shit an AK is just an abomination.

Junk.
Non junk has kalashnikov name and made on his motherland factory. Same as calling Chilean sparkling wine ‘champagne’.
To each his own, you like it - you get it.
Since we've established you are not knowledgeable about AKs, should I pick up this turd a couple years ago from Kalashnikov Concern? I mean, it's got his name on it and it was made in Russia, it's gotta be better than the Arsenal AKs militaries are buying up, right?

1641338086825.png

Maybe you should stick with sporterizing SKSes...

Since we've established you are not knowledgeable about AKs, should I pick up this turd a couple years ago from Kalashnikov Concern? I mean, it's got his name on it and it was made in Russia, it's gotta be better than the Arsenal AKs militaries are buying up, right?

View attachment 560253

Maybe you should stick with sporterizing SKSes...
Why would I give a twisted f*** about some piece of junk sold to some local civilian here by some Russian crooks? They dump you here what no one else needs - you are irrelevant to them. They just see you as one dumb walking wallet. One that even buys a warped pseudo ak that cannot fire in series.

Why would I give a twisted f*** about some piece of junk sold to some local civilian here by some Russian crooks? They dump you here what no one else needs - you are irrelevant to them. They just see you as one dumb walking wallet. One that even buys a warped pseudo ak that cannot fire in series.
In lieu of booze for Dry January did you get into something harder? Or are these the effects of your detox?

Come on now boys. I asked for advice.
Not to watch a dick measuring contest!
I provided advice. Were you planning to buy a full auto AK? If not, Paul's already derailed the thread.

I have a1975-made SKS. They are fine weapons, but they don't really offer anything an AK doesn't apart from being (generally) less expensive, the "coolness" of being an actual milsurp (apart from commercial Chinese ones) and being ban-friendly in many places that have those. They've got slightly less recoil, but not enough in my opinion to offset other things.

For AKs, stick to imports. The KUSA ones are promising for US-made but it's still early for me. You should also decide on "modern AK" vs. "classic AK." Do you want a side rail? Wood furniture, or polymer? Etc.

Last edited:
As the OP for the above-maligned SKS 'pocalypse thread, I feel compelled to opine. I bought two Milsurp SKS's for $450 (plus fees, taxes) each online last month off Gunbroker. Got them NYE from my FFL. By the next day I had them cleaned, stained, and varnished. Pictured below. I learned a ton taking these apart and cleaning them, and feel a connection to them that I don't with all the other firearms I have just bought and thrown in the safe. I have not fired them yet but am very glad I added them to my collection. I wish there were other milsurps out there that I could buy (relatively) inexpensively and return to serviceable condition. IMG_20220102_140942.jpg

Ignore the problem.

What are you looking to do with the rifle you buy? Are you interested in optics? Taking classes?
Use case will drive some things. Are you going to be plinking from a bench? Running three gun? Hunting? Etc. This will shape the decision some.

They just see you as one dumb walking wallet.

Lol. You're the one treating the OP precisely that way by insisting he should only buy the hunk of junk @daekken posted in #21.

The rest of us are respecting what he's stated he wants, while looking out for that wallet you're so disdainful of. Why not be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem? The OP wants to go to x39, which everyone posting here (presumably) loves. Help him out with realistic advice, not by dogmatically telling him he should only settle for a more expensive "purebred" AK that, honestly, is no better than any other AK on the planet, and is worse than some.

He's already told you to stop measuring your dick. You should probably respect that.

Back
Top Bottom