AK/SKS questions

For sale in MA? Seen em closer to $1000 than the $500 mark. PSA (who refuses to ship anything to MA) and Atlantic Firearms (who refuses to ship a lot of stuff to MA) have some they got in a big batch around the $400-500 mark. But they should virtually all be pre-94 ban so maybe shopping around online and getting it sent to an ffl.
First listing on GunBroker right now when you search SKS is $449 from Black Market Arms, still have 10 plus. They are the company I purchased my two from last month. Cosmoline coated. Both very serviceable, just one pretty scratched up wood. I live in Mass, and just selected my FFL (which was listed on Gunbroker) and that was it. Never had to call anybody. As soon as I ordered I got an email from seller saying I did not need to do anything else. Got tracking, 4-5 days later was at my FFL.
They are Chinese, and my FFL said Norinco, maybe 1962.

Why not a hybrid of the 2

While I do like the "Planet of the Apes" stock on the M, the SKS-D will always be my favorite model adapted for AK mags!

IMG_2309.jpg

However, while it is nice to have a SKS that accepts mags, the magazines are much more difficult to insert than in a typical AK. Trying to seat a fully loaded 30 round mag into a rifle with closed bolt will result in nothing but frustration!

Last edited:
Most pics so far show really nice AKs and slightly beat SKSs. I'll change it up with this one:

IMG_2307.jpg

Here are two Yugo rifles. The 1983 M59/66A1 SKS has only been test fired in the factory, and was never signed out of the armory. Early imports could be found that included log books (that blue book between rifles) that detailed the rifle's history. This one still has pencil markings with production numbers that were used in Zastava while the rifle was assembled. Serial numbers were added later.

The 1982 M70 was built from a kit I acquired back in the glory days of parts kits. They were all weapons that were used in the Balkans in the early 1990's, and varied in condition from serviceable down to completely beat. Many of the parts kits included trench art and some of the parts kits I had featured Beverly Hills 90210 stickers all over them! Apparently American pop culture was big with the young kids who were shooting these at each other...

Here's a closer look at some markings on the stock. The four C's are a symbol of the Serbian crest, so we can guess which side this one fought on.

IMG_2308.jpg

As to the original question of which to buy, everyone has opinions on the issue, but only you can decide based on what you want and what you are willing to spend!

Last edited:
I personally like the SKS over the AK.

Accuracy is about equal.

Both need a longer stock.

Both have shitty sights.

I can load the SKS faster, granted only 10 rounds but the gun is back in action faster. I hate the weird rocking motion to load the AK.

The SKS is more of a rifle to me. I don’t like pistol grip rifles. I have Fudd tastes.

That crest was graffiti'd just like that EVERYWHERE when I arrived in Kosovo. By the time I left just a few months later, it was nowhere.

It was very common to find this on the stocks of parts kits. I had a few that had pretty decent carvings of the eagle crest that accompanied the Cs. From what I recall, the rifles that were most heavily modified (carved, with stickers, wrapped in electrical tape) were used by militia groups. These also generally had the worst level of maintenance, which meant sewer pipe bores after shooting corrosive ammo in non-chrome lined barrels without cleaning!

While I do like the "Planet of the Apes" stock on the M, the SKS-D will always be my favorite model adapted for AK mags!

View attachment 561183

However, while it is nice to have a SKS that accepts mags, the magazines are much more difficult to insert than in a typical AK. Trying to seat a fully loaded 30 round mag into a rifle with closed bolt will result in nothing but frustration!
I really wish my sporter had a bayonet. It would be the ultimate "in transition" rifle.

I really wish my sporter had a bayonet. It would be the ultimate "in transition" rifle.

I always wondered why they left that big old block of steel where the bayonet pivot could be mounted!

The D series had differences in the rifles, and one of these was in bayonet mounting. Some have have a removable bayonet while others are riveted in place. I actually owned a removable one for many years before I realized I could take the bayonet off by sliding it toward the muzzle and pulling away from the barrel!

Last edited:
First listing on GunBroker right now when you search SKS is $449 from Black Market Arms, still have 10 plus. They are the company I purchased my two from last month. Cosmoline coated. Both very serviceable, just one pretty scratched up wood. I live in Mass, and just selected my FFL (which was listed on Gunbroker) and that was it. Never had to call anybody. As soon as I ordered I got an email from seller saying I did not need to do anything else. Got tracking, 4-5 days later was at my FFL.
They are Chinese, and my FFL said Norinco, maybe 1962.

In Mass, as in ''Currenty within the State of Massachusetts for sale, not out of state/for sale on an internet auction site able to be shipped to a local FFL" like at a store you can go in or on armslist to buy an SKS for an average price of $800 is what I've seen recently.

How did you go about cleaning it up and what is your overall opinion on the rifle?

In Mass, as in ''Currenty within the State of Massachusetts for sale, not out of state/for sale on an internet auction site able to be shipped to a local FFL" like at a store you can go in or on armslist to buy an SKS for an average price of $800 is what I've seen recently.

How did you go about cleaning it up and what is your overall opinion on the rifle?
I have another thread on here where I go into that. Here are pictures. I have not fired them and I am no expert, but they look to be in great shape mechanically. The stock on one was pretty scratched up, the other not so much. Even the scratched one I could have used a sander and got it in much better shape I'd I had wanted to.
I used elbow grease, mineral spirits (including bathing parts), and space heaters.
You are a smidge unclear with one question, but I bought off Gunbroker like any online purchase (of say, toilet paper), identifying my FFL, who was in GunBroker's system, and that was all I did. I got tracking thru my email, it showed up at my FFL 4-5 days later, they put it on their books (in like an hour), they called me to pick it up, I went in there that afternoon, filled out the usual form, paid them the $35 they charge for transferring the item in (plus I bought a hundred bucks worth of ammo, etc) and that was it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_140942.jpg
    IMG_20220102_140942.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 11

What's the problem with buying online and having shipped from out of state? Lots of sellers don't mind, and my LGS doesn't mind either.

I'm still here and following along.
I'm familiar with both the AK and SKS as platforms.
My questions are geared more to how they're made. What is better stamped or milled and why?
I've also heard that some countries produce better guns over some other countries.
If I'm going to spend stupid money on something I want to make the best choice I can.
My take away so far is that stamped is better for add ons. But milled might be more rigid and maybe last longer?
And that no one can agree with what countries are better over others except that those made or assembled in the U.S. are not built as well.
Am I right so far?
Stamped AKs work just fine. I prefer milled. All SKSs are milled.

I've had a couple russian, several yugo, and a few chinese SKS. All are super reliable & built to last. Downside of yugo sks is non-chrome lined barrel. And most yugos have a grenade launcher. Adds weight.

I find VZ58 is more similar to SKS than AK.

ETA dont plan on adding accesories to an SKS.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of scratching an itch I should have scratched long ago.
Anyway. I'm thinking of buying an AK or SKS in 7.62x39
Which of these would serve me better?
Why?
I've read that some are real junk and some are well made.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
AKs:
Those after traditional AK--Type 1,2,3 need to build or have them built.
BFPU-type AKMs and Yugos can be kit-built at home, built by pro shops, or found online.
Regarding AK-100-series firearms:
  • Those who don't know the difference between AKMs, AK-74Ms, and AK-100s will suggest buying PSAK-103s or PSAK-104s, which are mechanically more like AKMs. They're comparatively cheap, and the your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine ejection pattern and premature bolt and carrier wear are kind of what one would expect.
  • Purists like Misha will say to buy imports--Bulgarian knock-offs, etc.,--or build from Saigas or 74M-types for insane amounts of money. All imports _will_ be banned; it's just a matter of time.
  • Those keeping a close eye on both PSA and Kalashnikov USA will see the latter serves a different market--the buyer who wants what is as close to an AK-103 or SGL-21 as possible. Every rivet on the KR-103 appears to be correctly placed and of the correct size and profile. The FSB, GB, forward stock latch cut, OEM muzzle brake profile, bolt carrier profile, bolt dimensions, top cover, takedown button, and 5.5mm rear trunnion hinge are all correct. Receiver details are almost completely accurate in that the dimples are the same shape as those of AK-103s and the mag release stamping is almost identical. This carries over to the KR-104, which--true to form--is SBR-only right now. It has a perfect copy of the AK-104 GBC.
So I recommend educating yourself about the various generations of AK-pattern firearms, imports and importers and their history, domestic specialty build shops, and US AK manufacturers and deciding what is important to you.

SKSs:
Armslist, GunRipoff, and boards for decent specimens. This is more akin to buying an old milsurp. Ensure the action is smooth and the bore is OK.

At one time I owned one of each maker,but now I am just down to one Russian,two Chinese, and a Chinese that takes AK mags.
They are just fun little carbines.

Because combat and home defense doesn't occur on a rifle range with wood shooting benches, shooting vests, slow fire, and range officers.
Let’s do this: go to your bedroom, close the curtains, be very, very quiet, channel your inner penguin, and FOCUS. When you achieve a state of enlightenment, I bet you’ll hear the Viet cong and Taliban laugh their asses off.

Hey! They were six bucks.

Get it straight.

Actually, the ones I ordered were $6.38 each after tax:

Pinty.png

On a positive note, one of my $6 Pintys replced a missing turret cap ($20 from Sig!) for my Romeo5, and then gave up its battery to a red dot on my 15-22 in a pinch at the range. I've got a few more in the inventory just in case more emergencies arise... Well worth the money spent!

AK all the way. More fun to shoot than my SKS

Both great rifles. Can’t go wrong either way

Back
Top Bottom