All things, MA non-resident LTC

I’m 100% sure they’re already sick of processing LTC’s for residents and non-residents.

Then the state looks at the coffers being filled with $100 every year by us for them to basically copy, paste, print and they laugh all the way to the bank.

Unless a court says they’re overstepping boundaries with excessive wait times, excessive violation of rights by making us apply EVERY year or that the $100 fee is excessive I don’t see anything changing.
Well Illinois charges $300 for a Non-Resident but the permit lasts 5 years.

Since SCOTUS intentionally mentioned high fees being unconstitutional. Illinois fees are about to be challenged. I wouldn’t be surprised if MA fees will be challenged soon as well.

I wouldn’t mind paying the $300 for 5 years. What’s more a PITA to me, is having to renew yearly.

It is a revenue thing. Why not just charge us $600 for a 6 year permit! Lol

My other big question… Maryland has actually started issuing permits after the SCOTUS decision of June 23rd. No word yet on New Jersey.

No word yet on RI AG as well.

HI… no changes as of yet, not issuing yet.

CA… Various county Sheriffs are issuing now that before haven’t been. Some of the more Anti-2A are following the lead of Gov Newsome and AG Bonita’s opinion. But most are have started issuing. Again depends on which county, as well.

NY, if our in the more conservative areas, they are issuing as fast as they can, prior to the new law taking effect. However in the more Liberal areas… such as NYC. They are delaying the process as much as possible so that they can deny under the new law. I know of several in NY conservative areas that were denied two years ago, but got approved now since SCOTUS. Who knows about when they go to renew unless the new challenge to the New law has initiated an injunction.

So has MA started issuing more permits now based on the Bruen opinion? Have more people Ben applying to MA? And have they been issuing more now?

Last edited:
My other big question… Maryland has actually started issuing permits after the SCOTUS decision of June 23rd. No word yet on New Jersey.

No word yet on RI AG as well.

HI… no changes as of yet, not issuing yet.

CA… Various county Sheriffs are issuing now that before haven’t been. Some of the more Anti-2A are following the lead of Gov Newsome and AG Bonita’s opinion. But most are have started issuing. Again depends on which county, as well.

NY, if our in the more conservative areas, they are issuing as fast as they can, prior to the new law taking effect. However in the more Liberal areas… such as NYC. They are delaying the process as much as possible so that they can deny under the new law. I know of several in NY conservative areas that were denied two years ago, but got approved now since SCOTUS. Who knows about when they go to renew unless the new challenge to the New law has initiated an injunction.

So has MA started issuing more permits now based on the Bruen opinion? Have more people Ben applying to MA? And have they been issuing more now?
RI - They may try the RI AG is an alternate mechanism that may apply need because towns don't, but that argument falls apart because the town permit is more restrictive than an AG permit since it does not allow open carry.

NY - Permits have been rendered all but useless statewide. The "Felony to carry in a business unless it has a guns welcome sign" makes it virtually impossible for the normal person to go about armed.

HI - Taking some action : Firearms - Honolulu Police Department

MA - There are several suits Comm2a did not have to file because the FRB acted responsibly - refusing to even print a restricted license, for example.

Times they are a-changin.

RI - They may try the RI AG is an alternate mechanism that may apply need because towns don't, but that argument falls apart because the town permit is more restrictive than an AG permit since it does not allow open carry.

NY - Permits have been rendered all but useless statewide. The "Felony to carry in a business unless it has a guns welcome sign" makes it virtually impossible for the normal person to go about armed.

HI - Taking some action : Firearms - Honolulu Police Department

MA - There are several suits Comm2a did not have to file because the FRB acted responsibly - refusing to even print a restricted license, for example.

Times they are a-changin.
Very true, but in all cases it makes crying a gun in our car when you traveling more possible and easier.

How long are processing times for non-resident LTCs? I have a CCW in CA, FL, and AZ. I was involved in a brutal self-defense case with 8 gang members. They are being released from prison and are killing people. They are looking for me, and there are imminent threats to my life. The CA Sheriff has been very good to me after I showed them the case, the circumstances, and the hospital photos, regarding expediting the CCW issuance process from what would’ve taken 16months down to 3.

I need to get a nonresident MA permit soon, as I am in grave fear for my life. I wonder if I explain the circumstances and show the hospital photos, if MA would assist in expediting the process.

I understand that submitting good cause is no longer required, but it helped me in getting the process expedited. Should I wait to file an application until after I’ve taken the MA training course?

Last edited:
How long are processing times for non-resident LTCs? I have a CCW in CA, FL, and AZ. I was involved in a brutal self-defense case with 8 gang members. They are being released from prison and are killing people. They are looking for me, and there are imminent threats to my life. The CA Sheriff has been very good to me after I showed them the case, the circumstances, and the hospital photos, regarding expediting the CCW issuance process from what would’ve taken 16months down to 3.

I need to get a nonresident MA permit soon, as I am in grave fear for my life. I wonder if I explain the circumstances and show the hospital photos, if MA would assist in expediting the process.

I understand that submitting good cause is no longer required, but it helped me in getting the process expedited. Should I wait to file an application until after I’ve taken the MA training course?
I don't know if telling them will help, I'd hope it won't hurt. As for the training, I don't think they can wave that so take it ASAP. Given your situation, if you can't find a local class with space, I'd call and explain the urgent need, I'd be surprised if they can't make room for you.

I don't know if telling them will help, I'd hope it won't hurt. As for the training, I don't think they can wave that so take it ASAP. Given your situation, if you can't find a local class with space, I'd call and explain the urgent need, I'd be surprised if they can't make room for you.
The problem is finding a local class with an LTC holding MA certified instructor.

I was referring to the difficulty if finding a firearms instructor with the necessary MA certification in a western state, not the difficulty in finding listed courses. If the course is not taught my a MA certified instructor who has an active LTC, it does not count.

Page 3 on the nonresident permit application states

“A Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife hunter education course is a valid substitute for the Firearms Safety Certificate.”

Is it easier & cheaper to take the hunter education course?

Page 3 on the nonresident permit application states

“A Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife hunter education course is a valid substitute for the Firearms Safety Certificate.”

Is it easier & cheaper to take the hunter education course?
This requires a MA hunter ed course. Not any states hunter ed course. The only one that counts is a MA course, which you will only find in MA. They are harder to find than one of the other MA approved courses.

I understand your desire to find a shortcut, but there isn’t one. First you need to take an approved MA course from a MA certified instructor. Then you need to apply. Then you need to do the in person interview, which will take months to get.

There is no wall hack to get around this.

This requires a MA hunter ed course. Not any states hunter ed course. The only one that counts is a MA course, which you will only find in MA. They are harder to find than one of the other MA approved courses.

I understand your desire to find a shortcut, but there isn’t one. First you need to take an approved MA course from a MA certified instructor. Then you need to apply. Then you need to do the in person interview, which will take months to get.

There is no wall hack to get around this.
Some time ago, someone posted an un redacted instructor list (I don't know it is still online). There were people in a number of states (n>1) other than MA who were on the MA instructor list.

Some time ago, someone posted an un redacted instructor list (I don't know it is still online). There were people in a number of states (n>1) other than MA who were on the MA instructor list.
I didn’t intend to imply that all the courses were in MA. But the MA Hunter Ed courses? Yeah, those are only taught in MA.

The problem is finding a local class with an LTC holding MA certified instructor.
I'm not sure where he is from. His profile says Boston but he's looking for non-res, confusing.
If in NH Granite State does MA classes.

Your two non-waivable obstacles are:

1. The MA course. Easy if you are in MA and can spend a day on your own time - lots of places (MA Firearms, for example) offer the classes on a regular basis
2. The in person interview with the FRB. Historically, they have been reasonable accommodating people schedule if you ask nicely.

Your two non-waivable obstacles are:

1. The MA course. Easy if you are in MA and can spend a day on your own time - lots of places (MA Firearms, for example) offer the classes on a regular basis
2. The in person interview with the FRB. Historically, they have been reasonable accommodating people schedule if you ask nicely.
I’ll be there Oct 1. I’m going to do a single-day hunter ed course sometime in October to begin the process. MassWildlife Field HQ in Westborough seems to be the closest place they are holding classes.

I’ll be there Oct 1. I’m going to do a single-day hunter ed course sometime in October to begin the process. MassWildlife Field HQ in Westborough seems to be the closest place they are holding classes.
Those Hunter Ed classes get fully booked before the electrons cool down on the posting.

It isn't confirmed yet, but I will likely be running a BFS course on Sept. 29th in Londonderry NH.

I'm at over 3 months now. Didn't need an in person appointment.
Called today. Very helpful person on the phone "It just needs to be printed and mailed."
I can never get them to overlap. Maybe if I send it in 6 months early next year?
You managed to get a first-time Non-Resident MA LTC without an in-person appearance at MA FRB HQ in Chelsea?

When I had a Non-Res LTC, you couldn’t submit a renewal more than 3mo before expiration and it took 4-5mo to process, so I was always w/o a valid license for 1-2mo. During the yearly interview, they always asked if I carried in MA during that 1-2mo. I wonder if some said yes? My answer was always no. At one point in time, the interviewer said my reasons were no longer considered valid, as BOS (my workplace for 16yr) was no longer considered a high-risk city. I was told I could retract my application so it wouldn’t be denied. I didn’t get my $100 back…

I‘m retired now, but still drive from NH through MA 2-3 times monthly on my way to NY for family & events. Until NY has a non-Res LTC, I’ll not need a MA non-Res LTC. I figure that will happen never, or long after I’m dead.

I‘m retired now, but still drive from NH through MA 2-3 times monthly on my way to NY for family & events. Until NY has a non-Res LTC, I’ll not need a MA non-Res LTC. I figure that will happen never, or long after I’m dead.
Actually, not a problem post-Bruen.

You managed to get a first-time Non-Resident MA LTC without an in-person appearance at MA FRB HQ in Chelsea?
I suppose that might have been possible during early Covid, but my first rodeo with the NR LTC was in 2001 and it was in person but they still had full Covid restrictions in place.

Also, I am running a MA BFS class on 9/29, for those applying for a NR LTC. See details in the Training sub-forum or PM me if interested.

Suggesting that there ARE NY non-resident LTCs now? MA I can get, yes, but without a NY I don’t need a MA.
I mis read your post, I was referring to the issue you had with the MA LTC.

My NY non-resident Pistol Permit expired in 1999.

Unfortunately, the Chautauqua county law department shut down Judge Willard Cass' operation issuing NY permits by mail, even to Canadians, eh? It was not a matter of corruption - just the judge had a non-mainstream interpretation of who he could issue permits to. Pistol Permits at that time did not have an expiration, but they were typing one in the margin for the non-resident permits (they were on paper back then).

I mis read your post, I was referring to the issue you had with the MA LTC.

My NY non-resident Pistol Permit expired in 1999.

Unfortunately, the Chautauqua county law department shut down Judge Willard Cass' operation issuing NY permits by mail, even to Canadians, eh? It was not a matter of corruption - just the judge had a non-mainstream interpretation of who he could issue permits to. Pistol Permits at that time did not have an expiration, but they were typing one in the margin for the non-resident permits (they were on paper back then).

They ain’t too happy about the new NY gun laws where I typically visit - maybe I can find another renegade judge to issue me a permit? Scratch that - I’d fail a Social Media scan done by a 3rd grader on Google 😅

Back
Top Bottom